Grado PS500s (new Grado's)
Oct 10, 2011 at 4:59 AM Post #496 of 1,221

Quote:

The Less Obvious

A lot people who like Grados inherently know this, but most measurements (FR and harmonic distortion that I indicated above) don't show one significant, but less obvious trait that is good about them: they have fast decay characteristics. 

Here an example comparison. The Grado RS1 has the fastest overall decay among the three headphones below. (The HD650 has the cleanest decay among the three.) The graphs are cut from where the RS-1 starts its decay (at about 1/10 of a millisecond.)

One tendency I've noted in doing these plots: the closer the waterfall toward the back wall (in the harmonic regions), the better the detail extraction of the headphone.

The Denons! NO!!!!!!   D,=

Oct 10, 2011 at 9:11 AM Post #497 of 1,221
Quote:
How can one who hasn't seen or heard them even say how bad they are? And as for I, who has one at the store we work at, I am disappointed with the finish. Apparently grado messed up their first batch, and said to our store owner that he can return the 8 boxes we got for clean ones. They will fix them apparently 

If Grado indeed knew about the flaws in their first batch of the PS500 and still released it to the market then I reckon they are asking for trouble.
If the first batch was messed up then they should have put a hold on the release in the first place. I can understand that things not always goes to plan when comes to manufacturing a new product, but to consciously allow it to reach the consumer it is not acceptable. 

Oct 10, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #498 of 1,221

Quote:
Quote:
How can one who hasn't seen or heard them even say how bad they are? And as for I, who has one at the store we work at, I am disappointed with the finish. Apparently grado messed up their first batch, and said to our store owner that he can return the 8 boxes we got for clean ones. They will fix them apparently 

If Grado indeed knew about the flaws in their first batch of the PS500 and still released it to the market then I reckon they are asking for trouble.
If the first batch was messed up then they should have put a hold on the release in the first place. I can understand that things not always goes to plan when comes to manufacturing a new product, but to consciously allow it to reach the consumer it is not acceptable. 

It really isn't ~ however that does not mean that a small company like Grado is not subject to the ruthless business law
of 'cost absorption'. In other words, the first 100 to 200 may have been slightly iffy, cosmetically speaking but Grado
may have struggled to absorb the cost and remain afloat if he was to simply 'write them off'.

That's like approx. guesstimate $20,000 to write off. Enough to sink a tonne of well known small firms.

Oct 10, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #499 of 1,221

Quote:

The Less Obvious

A lot people who like Grados inherently know this, but most measurements (FR and harmonic distortion that I indicated above) don't show one significant, but less obvious trait that is good about them: they have fast decay characteristics. 

Here an example comparison. The Grado RS1 has the fastest overall decay among the three headphones below. (The HD650 has the cleanest decay among the three.) The graphs are cut from where the RS-1 starts its decay (at about 1/10 of a millisecond.)

One tendency I've noted in doing these plots: the closer the waterfall toward the back wall (in the harmonic regions), the better the detail extraction of the headphone.

Great observation....their quickness and crispness really sets them apart from many other headphones.

Oct 10, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #500 of 1,221

Our fellow UK head-fiers are looking at serious coinage once again for the PS500

- 700 quid or $1084USD as of today's exchange rate. Yikes.

Theheadphonecompanyuk

Oct 10, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #501 of 1,221
oh wow... how much is US selling it for 550$ ? All i know is Canada here has it for 599+13%tax 
confused_face.gif

Quote:

Our fellow UK head-fiers are looking at serious coinage once again for the PS500

- 700 quid or $1084USD as of today's exchange rate. Yikes.

Theheadphonecompanyuk

Oct 10, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #502 of 1,221
Oct 10, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #503 of 1,221
It's normal price for Grado outside of USA I believe. In my country, RS-2 costs about same $1000, and PS-1000 is..... actually more expensive than Omega II. Good times.

Oct 11, 2011 at 9:13 AM Post #505 of 1,221
Quote:
It really isn't ~ however that does not mean that a small company like Grado is not subject to the ruthless business law
of 'cost absorption'. In other words, the first 100 to 200 may have been slightly iffy, cosmetically speaking but Grado
may have struggled to absorb the cost and remain afloat if he was to simply 'write them off'.

That's like approx. guesstimate $20,000 to write off. Enough to sink a tonne of well known small firms.

Maybe they don't need to write them off, but instead rework them... but criticism aside I don't mind the quirk Head-F1 on my HF2 
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 11, 2011 at 10:18 AM Post #506 of 1,221
Seriously, the only way to get Grado in the EU is direct importing via a friend. The retailer markups on those are insane. We are talking about ~$200 for a SR225i in the US. In the EU, this magically becomes $340. At the very very least. All more serious and reliable shops start at $400. And they are still internet only shops. Urks.

Checking the prices it seems currently the US has the better prices than Europe, even for European brands. What??

Oct 11, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #508 of 1,221
Oct 11, 2011 at 6:35 PM Post #510 of 1,221

Quote:
Just plan a holiday on this side of the pond.

Oh, I will come back from time to time to see all my friends and relatives- not to mention the shopping. :)
Really don't understand why everything has to be twice as much in Europe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back