Grado PS500s (new Grado's)
Oct 8, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #466 of 1,221
Eh my HF-2s look terrible compared to other HF-2s. Some consistency is nice. Just make them all crappy looking 
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 8, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #467 of 1,221

Quote:
........ at this price... we should be demanding decent quality control and build standards... call me a hater but more will agree with me 

Well, we certainly do not need to fuel teh! hate train again..... 
popcorn.gif

By the way, it is not just quality control and build standards Grado has problems. 

Grados in general have rather poor measurements.... As far as I heard, when Tyll began to take mesaure headphones, and showed how Grado headphones fare against others, there were some 'strong' reactions from Head-Fi community..... People just could not accept their best headphones have such rather bad graphs.

Tyll made more detailed measurements after he left Headroom, let's see our Four Traditionals (K701(Q701 for latest update), RS1, HD650 and DT880)

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/GradoRS1.pdf

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AKGQuincyJonesQ701.pdf
(The worse sample : http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AKGK701.pdf )

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD650.pdf

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/BeyerdynamicDT880250ohm.pdf

Ignoring the frequency response part, the channel matching, distortions and impulse response are rather underwhelming (and consider that RS1 is far more expensive than other three). 

Oct 9, 2011 at 4:45 AM Post #468 of 1,221
Guess you raise a very good point wje

What is stopping anyone upon receiving their PS 500 to return it on the grounds that 'finish is poor'?

All that remains to be seen from there is to wait and see if Grado respond favorably to 'quality control'
issues or reject the claim in the first place for being unwarrantable and unreasonable.

Head-Fi can go on from there 

Grado proved with the HF2 that they are unwilling to address QC issues. Based on the early initial reports of poor QC on the PS500 I will bet, based on their past lack of interest, they may do little to nothing about it.

Oct 9, 2011 at 4:46 AM Post #469 of 1,221
Guess you raise a very good point wje

What is stopping anyone upon receiving their PS 500 to return it on the grounds that 'finish is poor'?

All that remains to be seen from there is to wait and see if Grado respond favorably to 'quality control'
issues or reject the claim in the first place for being unwarrantable and unreasonable.

Head-Fi can go on from there 

Grado proved with the HF2 that they are unwilling to address QC issues. Based on the early initial reports of poor QC on the PS500 I will bet, based on their past lack of interest, they may do little to nothing about it.

Oct 9, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #471 of 1,221

A couple people who may or may not have actually seen a pair are reporting the ones they saw had a poor finish and the denizens of the interwebs go into a tizzy. No pictures, no proof, just rumors and the complainafest begins.
So lame.
They are just headphones people.:rolleyes:

Oct 9, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #472 of 1,221

Quote:
A couple people who may or may not have actually seen a pair are reporting the ones they saw had a poor finish and the denizens of the interwebs go into a tizzy. No pictures, no proof, just rumors and the complainafest begins.
So lame.
They are just headphones people.
rolleyes.gif

They are 600 bucks headphones tho; really, for that price, the headphones should have some golden-plated parts. 
tongue.gif

Oct 9, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #473 of 1,221

Quote:

They are 600 bucks headphones tho; really, for that price, the headphones should have some golden-plated parts. 
tongue.gif

have you ever heard of the LCD2's? They are $1000 and the only gold they have on them is the plug, some of them have a nice finish the gen1 models headband was like an iron maiden for your head and the cups, at lease the pair I tried has some rather large nicks on them. My point being quality improves with age, yes for the price they should be up to par but sometimes things slip through the cracks.

Oct 9, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #474 of 1,221
have you ever heard of the LCD2's? They are $1000 and the only gold they have on them is the plug, some of them have a nice finish the gen1 models headband was like an iron maiden for your head and the cups, at lease the pair I tried has some rather large nicks on them. My point being quality improves with age, yes for the price they should be up to par but sometimes things slip through the cracks.

Except with Grado the 'sometimes' are more common, 'slips' are more frequent and the 'cracks' are larger. I expect closer attention to detail when I spend my money.

Oct 9, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #475 of 1,221

Quote:

Even with proper use of smiley, people still confused with jokes.

LCD2 are actually on my head right now (have one for a long time); my version do not have leather headband.... they have cheapy styrofoam-like headband (it is still rev.2 tho) but I really have no compliant as long as they sound good and they don't break easily.

The problem is the poor craftmanship..... As build quality wise, LCD2 is super solid, and very few flaws (none for my case) on materials such as pads, cables, finishes and other stuffs. I really do not mind if headphones look cheap or old-fashioned, in-house design. But I do mind when metal-housing has the worst machine marks everywhere, almost made me thought it was wood instead of metal due to marks (saw some of the worst-case SR325s in past) Or headband broke after only 30ish hours of use (my HD595 did) Or entire housing just disassembles itself while wearing headphones in still position (case for my Ultrasone Pro750)

I have not had such bad cases with Grado other than briefly owned RS-1 with crappy lettering, but some people are unlucky (like HF-2 accident.)

Oct 9, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #476 of 1,221

Quote:
So lame.
They are just headphones people.
rolleyes.gif

well, it's grado... they already aren't known for immaculate fit and finish so although we can't all verify the claims of poor finishes and standards from other members, I think it's more plausible then not..

Oct 9, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #477 of 1,221

Quote:
Except with Grado the 'sometimes' are more common, 'slips' are more frequent and the 'cracks' are larger. I expect closer attention to detail when I spend my money.

While I am not on Grado-loving camp, that statement is too unfair.

I am very sure that there are far more case on HD5x5 and first batch of HD598's headband breaking issue than entire complaints on all Grado headphones alone. Considering this headband issue is just fatal (you cannot wear them if the headband is broken!) and Sennheiser's extremely slow response (and non-response toward older models like HD5x5), the heat Grado receiving is too hotter than it should be.

Oct 9, 2011 at 7:28 PM Post #478 of 1,221

Quote:

I am very sure that there are far more case on HD5x5 and first batch of HD598's headband breaking issue than entire complaints on all Grado headphones alone. Considering this headband issue is just fatal (you cannot wear them if the headband is broken!) and Sennheiser's extremely slow response (and non-response toward older models like HD5x5), the heat Grado receiving is too hotter than it should be.

The complaints regarding the sennheiser 500 series is well documented and a valid point indeed but the 500 is only a small range of phones in the sennheiser arsenal, the issue I tihnk is that every grado suffers from build and quality standards lower then many desire (ps1000 scratches and scuffs down to the sr60 and i grado.)

Oct 9, 2011 at 7:39 PM Post #479 of 1,221

Quote:

Fair point.

Sennheiser HD 280 Pro, HD 650 and countless HD 201's ~ what do they all have in common?

I've seen far too many with headband failures.

Oct 9, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #480 of 1,221

Quote:

The complaints regarding the sennheiser 500 series is well documented and a valid point indeed but the 500 is only a small range of phones in the sennheiser arsenal, the issue I tihnk is that every grado suffers from build and quality standards lower then many desire (ps1000 scratches and scuffs down to the sr60 and i grado.)

500 being a small range of phones..... oh please, that's not true at all.

Other than some odd 200 range and popular PX series, anything below 500 are barely discussed here. 400 series is really nothing more than a filler (and they just sound alright for the price) for sub-$100 headphones. Really, when we talk about Sennheiser sound, it is usually HD5xx, HD6x0 and HD800. A lot of people who have interested in Sennheiser are introduced by HD59x (the only Sennheiser-sounding phones that cost no more than 250 bucks and do not need an amplifier for reasonable listening level) and start building their rigs from the point.

It is no doubt that for mass market, low-cost headphones dominates. But for Head-Fi population, HD500 series is such in crucial position, and it is no doubt Sennheiser dropped the ball rather repeatedly about headband (and this headband problem has been existed since the first launch of HD595), yet for some reasons... they get free passes every time. 
tongue.gif

While Grado indeed has problems everywhere, they are mostly cosmetic only and in no way they affect the sound nor comfort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back