Grado PS500s (new Grado's)
Oct 8, 2011 at 6:56 PM Post #451 of 1,221

Quote:
I think being a hand-made product I would believe it would subject to more imperfections than anything else.

Yeah, but stuff like the lettering on today's products have improved through the use of lasers and much better graphics.  Heck, look what I can do with a $29.00 CD/DVD writer with LightScribe to the front of a disc - I can literally have the laser carve some precise art onto the front of the disc.  CNC machines - also, with their near 100% quality of output, etc. - all indicate Grado could have done better with the cups and lettering.

Oct 8, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #452 of 1,221

Quote:
Yeah, but stuff like the lettering on today's products have improved through the use of lasers and much better graphics.  Heck, look what I can do with a $29.00 CD/DVD writer with LightScribe to the front of a disc - I can literally have the laser carve some precise art onto the front of the disc.  CNC machines - also, with their near 100% quality of output, etc. - all indicate Grado could have done better with the cups and lettering.

best example of a good job at powdercoating http://www.amazon.com/YoYo-Factory-DV888/dp/B003U4LYHG
I have this yoyo and i can confirm the finish is flawless and all for $40 bones

agreed, the lettering and finish isn't hand applied either, all machinery and chemical processes here (unless grado actually does all the powdercoating in house which I highly doubt seeing as the process isn't without it's hazards. anywho, just an example of how precise the methods used today can be, http://www.hlj.com/product/EDU38474 this is a photoetched cockpit set for a 1:48 b-24 liberator WITH the colors all preapplied at the factory. If this can be achieved in such a minute size, no excuse for a poor powercoat application from grado. Though this is grado, so I guess we're all used to it. another quick example,http://www.briansmodelcars.com/tutorials/tutorial/100  yes they're different processes but with the advent of CAD being used for almost everything from staplers to cars, laser cutting and other processes, no reason for a finish at a level that raises concerns even to users who are used to the rough dull cookie cutter methods of grado

Oct 8, 2011 at 7:30 PM Post #453 of 1,221
Thanks for not hating.
biggrin.gif

Oct 8, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #455 of 1,221

Quote:
I'd continue to buy Grado even if John decided one morning that two rabid piranha's tied together with barbed wire for a headband sounded good.

The man is yet to make something that I would not forgive the eccentricities that come with a Grado.

how is the bead band uncomfortable? its just the most basic headband and it just sits in your head, do you have it bend so far inwards that the cups touch each other when not on your head or something?

Oct 8, 2011 at 9:03 PM Post #457 of 1,221

Quote:
You guys are asking too much from Grado to use uber advanced technology.

Ask not what Grado can do for you, ask ..............

Oct 8, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #458 of 1,221

Quote:

how is the bead band uncomfortable? its just the most basic headband and it just sits in your head, do you have it bend so far inwards that the cups touch each other when not on your head or something?

I actually find them to be somewhat comfortable ~ I was just making a satirical comment on how they do remain the
most 'polarized' cans on here ~ some people like me are prepared to forgive them everything as long as we get
a different spin on the well known Grado sound ~ others will continue to berate on how it is not up to the standards
of other multi-national manufacturers for the same amount of money.

Oct 8, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #460 of 1,221
Here's some bloke from the UK illustrating some of the fears for the PS500 with an even more expensive model

The GS1000i ~ at 1:40min you can see the less than clean glue work around the driver mesh.
All yours for 1000pounds or $1552USD as of today's exchange rate.

Oct 8, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #461 of 1,221

Quote:
some people like me are prepared to forgive them everything as long as we get
a different spin on the well known Grado sound ~ others will continue to berate on how it is not up to the standards
of other multi-national manufacturers for the same amount of money.

I'm not of that belief.  I don't essentially compare Grado to the competitors at a certain price point.  I do love the Grado sound - I have 3 pair.  However, I think it's a bit upsetting when you spend $595 for a pair of headphones that are flawed.  What happens in 2 years when you want to sell them?  Yes, you can claim in your ad that that's the way they were received, but this is a multi-generational thing.  The headphones they make go through many generations of users and at nearly $600, you'd think they would want to build something that would make it through the long haul in a good way.  However, when you start day 1 with some sloppy lettering on the cups, then that is disappointing.  I would keep exchanging them until they got it right.

I'm sure Grado is reading the threads here - which is a great thing.  Hopefully, they can look at some of this feedback not as "Grado Hating" but as constructive criticism and allow them to make a better product.  It shouldn't be that hard.

Oct 8, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #462 of 1,221

Quote:
I'm not of that belief.  I don't essentially compare Grado to the competitors at a certain price point.  I do love the Grado sound - I have 3 pair.  However, I think it's a bit upsetting when you spend $595 for a pair of headphones that are flawed.  What happens in 2 years when you want to sell them?  Yes, you can claim in your ad that that's the way they were received, but this is a multi-generational thing.  The headphones they make go through many generations of users and at nearly $600, you'd think they would want to build something that would make it through the long haul in a good way.  However, when you start day 1 with some sloppy lettering on the cups, then that is disappointing.  I would keep exchanging them until they got it right.

I'm sure Grado is reading the threads here - which is a great thing.  Hopefully, they can look at some of this feedback not as "Grado Hating" but as constructive criticism and allow them to make a better product.  It shouldn't be that hard.

Guess you raise a very good point wje

What is stopping anyone upon receiving their PS 500 to return it on the grounds that 'finish is poor'?

All that remains to be seen from there is to wait and see if Grado respond favorably to 'quality control'
issues or reject the claim in the first place for being unwarrantable and unreasonable.

Head-Fi can go on from there 

Oct 8, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #463 of 1,221

Quote:
Ask not what Grado can do for you, ask .............. 

........ at this price... we should be demanding decent quality control and build standards... call me a hater but more will agree with me 

Oct 8, 2011 at 10:04 PM Post #464 of 1,221

Quote:
Here's some bloke from the UK illustrating some of the fears for the PS500 with an even more expensive model

The GS1000i ~ at 1:40min you can see the less than clean glue work around the driver mesh.
All yours for 1000pounds or $1552USD as of today's exchange rate.

That's normal for Grado. My case is much worse (and it is more expensive than GS1000i as well).

Quote:

We had discussion about this already; there are so many different versions on each models without any notice from Grado, and I believe they have been doing this for a long time since.  It is up to customer who has to research on the company's habit and it is his/her decision to buy it with expectations.

Grado's quality problem is not secret, but people seem are happy with that anyway. And as I saw pictures of Grado factory and processes, etc, I just can't believe that they can do better than current state... As such very small and old company, they are quite doing well.

*edited for huge grammar mistake*

Oct 8, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #465 of 1,221

Quote:
........ at this price... we should be demanding decent quality control and build standards... call me a hater but more will agree with me 

I will not call you a hater.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back