Grado PS500s (new Grado's)
Oct 9, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #481 of 1,221
So, really, how bad are the PS500's for those of you who haven't seen them or heard them?

Oct 9, 2011 at 9:36 PM Post #482 of 1,221
How can one who hasn't seen or heard them even say how bad they are? And as for I, who has one at the store we work at, I am disappointed with the finish. Apparently grado messed up their first batch, and said to our store owner that he can return the 8 boxes we got for clean ones. They will fix them apparently

Quote:
So, really, how bad are the PS500's for those of you who haven't seen them or heard them?

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Oct 9, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #483 of 1,221

Quote:
How can one who hasn't seen or heard them even say how bad they are? And as for I, who has one at the store we work at, I am disappointed with the finish. Apparently grado messed up their first batch, and said to our store owner that he can return the 8 boxes we got for clean ones. They will fix them apparently 

Thank you for the information. I really should make PS500 thread for TTVJ now.

Oct 9, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #484 of 1,221

Quote:
Well, we certainly do not need to fuel teh! hate train again..... 
popcorn.gif

[snip]

Grados in general have rather poor measurements.... As far as I heard, when Tyll began to take mesaure headphones, and showed how Grado headphones fare against others, there were some 'strong' reactions from Head-Fi community..... People just could not accept their best headphones have such rather bad graphs.

[snip]

LOL, I don't think people buy the John Grados for how well they measure (at least with FR and harmonic distortion.) 

Oct 9, 2011 at 11:00 PM Post #488 of 1,221

Quote:

From what I've read, they're quite bad.  I'm still waiting to see or hear them for myself, though.  However, about 5 pages back, I did post that $600 would buy a great set of modified Grados along with a nice amp.  Maybe, this is an option that would make more people happier.

Oct 9, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #489 of 1,221

Quote:
From what I've read, they're quite bad.  I'm still waiting to see or hear them for myself, though.  However, about 5 pages back, I did post that $600 would buy a great set of modified Grados along with a nice amp.  Maybe, this is an option that would make more people happier.

How can you so certain about 'quite bad' without seeing the headphones? 
ph34r.gif

You said you can get modded Grado with a amp for $600. You have any recommendations?

Oct 10, 2011 at 12:45 AM Post #490 of 1,221

Quote:
How can you so certain about 'quite bad' without seeing the headphones? 
ph34r.gif

You said you can get modded Grado with a amp for $600. You have any recommendations?

If you read the post that I was replying to, the poster was asking how bad the headphones were for those who had not seen or heard of them.  So, I responded accordingly, and in a joking way that I've heard the quality was quite bad.

As far as Grado modified headphones go, I love wooden cup mods.  They do a lot for the sound.  As to which model, the SR-225i, is a favorite of mine.  But, I'm working on a project with a pair of SR-80s that I'm interested in hearing how they'll sound when done.  In regards to amps, I'm starting to be of the belief that the "best bang for the buck" is in vintage receivers instead of headphone amps to drive the headphones with.  The sound is truly beautiful from these older pieces of gear.

At around the end of this week, I'll be trying a pair of headphones with custom wooden cups and the Magnum drivers installed.  I'm quite excited to hear how the combination will work out.  It might be the killer deal of 2011 in regards to Grado-like headphones.

Oct 10, 2011 at 1:49 AM Post #494 of 1,221

The Less Obvious

A lot people who like Grados inherently know this, but most measurements (FR and harmonic distortion that I indicated above) don't show one significant, but less obvious trait that is good about them: they have fast decay characteristics. 

Here an example comparison. The Grado RS1 has the fastest overall decay among the three headphones below. (The HD650 has the cleanest decay among the three.) The graphs are cut from where the RS-1 starts its decay (at about 1/10 of a millisecond.)

One tendency I've noted in doing these plots: the closer the waterfall toward the back wall (in the harmonic regions), the better the detail extraction of the headphone.

Oct 10, 2011 at 2:42 AM Post #495 of 1,221
That's interesting to hear.  I always felt that my SR225i did very well with detail extraction, even with very fast metal and rock music.  The SR225i got a significant boost in detail extraction with the GS-1, IMO, possibly due to the excellent transparency of the GS-1.  It sounded a bit muddier (or possibly a tiny bit slower? hard for me to remember) with just an external D/A.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back