Grado Modders Go Nhoord?!?!
Nov 25, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #138 of 597
Oh yeah, I did put tape over holes in driver to decrease the bass and bring out mids. But I don't know how that could have shorted out the driver.

Nov 25, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #140 of 597
I'm sure I did something. :frowning2:
I loved these with Liquid Carbon. The forward mids really complemented it. But having sold the carbon I realized the Nhoords did have some recessed mids and I guess I tried too hard and did something to the driver. My bad.
Oh well.
But on a happier note. Covering the two driver holes did really bring the bass down and bring up the mids. :blush:

Nov 25, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #141 of 597
I'm sure I did something.
frown.gif

I loved these with Liquid Carbon. The forward mids really complemented it. But having sold the carbon I realized the Nhoords did have some recessed mids and I guess I tried too hard and did something to the driver. My bad.
Oh well.
But on a happier note. Covering the two driver holes did really bring the bass down and bring up the mids. :blush:

Most of the mods i've done made the headphone sound worse, but ofc i dont always know what im doing, just boredom

I do have some drivers lined up for when i pick up a sr60

or maybe just grab some 3rd party cups from etsy , and those aluminum gimbals, rods from ebay

or just grab a sr60 and call it a day

Nov 25, 2016 at 12:51 PM Post #142 of 597

Most of the mods i've done made the headphone sound worse, but ofc i dont always know what im doing, just boredom

I do have some drivers lined up for when i pick up a sr60

or maybe just grab some 3rd party cups from etsy , and those aluminum gimbals, rods from ebay

or just grab a sr60 and call it a day

You're going to put new drivers in the sr60 plastic cups?

Check out the sr60 mods threads on modding them, its a good place to start.  I usually install dynamat in the cups, 6-8mm wide strip all around the cup, sorbothane on the back of the driver cut in to smaller sections once it mounted but don't cover the vent holes, and for the sr60, open 2 vent holes on the housing to add a little bass seems to work for me

Nov 25, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #143 of 597
You're going to put new drivers in the sr60 plastic cups?

Check out the sr60 mods threads on modding them, its a good place to start.  I usually install dynamat in the cups, 6-8mm wide strip all around the cup, sorbothane on the back of the driver cut in to smaller sections once it mounted but don't cover the vent holes, and for the sr60, open 2 vent holes on the housing to add a little bass seems to work for me

What improvements do the dynamat and sorpothane have on drivers if I might ask?
I'm assuming it's all about less resonance and dampening.

Nov 25, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #144 of 597
What improvements do the dynamat and sorpothane have on drivers if I might ask?
I'm assuming it's all about less resonance.

The dynamat increases the mass of the cups to reduce the resonance as you noted which really helps in cleaning up the bass and makes it less one note, also gives the impression of a bit more extension since it lowers the mid-bass bloom to me.  In addition I like the EZ G pads which gives a slight increase in sound stage and helps to enhance the little sub-bass that is there.

The sorbothane on the back of the driver cleans up the overall sound, not just the bass, had to do some trial and error to find that I liked the effect of the 50 duro better than the 70 duro, both 3/16" thick and cut in to smaller squared after installing a single square on the back of the magnet, got this idea from the Stax and HE-400 threads.

Nov 25, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #145 of 597
Having done some foster tr50p mods. I could see it benefit on plastic but don't you want some wood resonance? That's the idea for wood isn't? 
Is sorbothane same as acoustic foam. I have some acoustic foam left over from my foster modding. 
  The dynamat increases the mass of the cups to reduce the resonance as you noted which really helps in cleaning up the bass and makes it less one note, also gives the impression of a bit more extension since it lowers the mid-bass bloom to me.  In addition I like the EZ G pads which gives a slight increase in sound stage and helps to enhance the little sub-bass that is there.

The sorbothane on the back of the driver cleans up the overall sound, not just the bass, had to do some trial and error to find that I liked the effect of the 50 duro better than the 70 duro, both 3/16" thick and cut in to smaller squared after installing a single square on the back of the magnet, got this idea from the Stax and HE-400 threads.

Nov 25, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #146 of 597
  Having done some foster tr50p mods. I could see it benefit on plastic but don't you want some wood resonance? That's the idea for wood isn't? 
Is sorbothane same as acoustic foam. I have some acoustic foam left over from my foster modding. 

With wood I didn't think the dynamat would make a sense as you noted about the resonance but its also about the density of the wood.  Its why I love my TYR Rauna speakers which have boxes made of concrete (very dense and no resonance), heavy as hell but they sound so sweet.

Sorbothane is a vibration damping / controlling rubber:
https://www.amazon.com/Isolate-Sorbothane-Vibration-Damping-Sheet/dp/B004LY8UTY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1480098901&sr=8-4&keywords=sorbothane+sheet

Nov 29, 2016 at 1:08 PM Post #149 of 597

Looks like Jaco made some changes.

The driver cover is now precision milled from aluminium (previously 3d printed) and sold in matched pairs (like the Ypsilons). 

So I have a pair with the new aluminium driver covers. They sound pretty much the same as the ones that had the 3D printed cover to me. Same great sound signature, just a little more weight and a more professional look. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back