Grado Modders Go Nhoord?!?!
Oct 23, 2016 at 8:37 AM Post #106 of 597
I get the impression that these are better senngrados or consistently better is this accurate or do they differ?

Do the nhoords' excel in any area more than the ypissolon or magnums? Can anyone chime in?

SennGrados are not in the same league as the Ypsilon and Nhoord.  I've tried 5 different PX-100ii drivers in a variety of different wood cups and out of the 5 only 1 of the driver pairs I would consider are pretty good but as @Konstantin690 noted to me they do get distorted if played at anything over a moderate listening level, and like most who have tried the Ypsilon & Nhoord I wouldn't go back to the PX-100ii driver.

Nhoord's are easier to drive and for some the V / U shaped sound signature is nice but the Ypsilon is better balanced from high to low, cleaner and more detailed IMO.

Oct 23, 2016 at 9:17 AM Post #107 of 597
  "Someone" who actually own, build ,extensively listened to all three drivers and has an opinion for their comparison. Have you actually done a similar comparison and came up with a different conclusion?
Please, post a pic or two from your Ypsilon and V7 builds.

I purposely didn't comment on your Ypsilon and Magnum V7 impressions because I haven't built phones with those drivers, so your angle here is a bit strange and aggressive. If you are saying that in a world where only the V7, Ypsilon, and Nhoord exist that the Nhoord have, as you said,  "a very V-shaped sound, strong bass and peaky treble", well, that's fine and your impressions are your impressions. If your statement about the Nhoord is to be taken more generally, well that, too, is fine. I'm not interested in saying you are outright wrong about your hearing. However, my surprise is that someone would say this about the Nhoord in a general sense. IMO the Ultrasone Pro 900 is an example of a  V-shaped headphone, not the Nhoord.

Oct 23, 2016 at 9:50 AM Post #108 of 597
@joeq70

@Konstantin690

Gents, I love that we have a regular crew on here enthusiastically trying and measuring these various drivers. Let's keep it civil though. I'm no mod (my views on politics and government in general might point to why), but let's keep it civil. I smell an escalation of emotions coming on. We all have different builds, with different cups, different pads and most importantly, different sets of ears and brains listening. At best we can hope for a loose consensus on what we're all hearing, but its to be expected that we'll have differing impressions.

This is the joy of being human.

Oct 23, 2016 at 11:22 AM Post #109 of 597
We do all hear differently :)  I do respect what you are saying.

To my ears, I do hear a mid bass emphasis in the Nhoords that do make the lower mids fuller but not to warrant V or U shape (again to my ears). 
I also hear a slight more lower treble than the Ypsilon but I thought the Ypsilon had a more mid to upper treble emphasis.
I thought the Magnum V6 had the most U or V shape of the bunch because of the recessed mids.

Again, I don't disagree with what you heard, just wanting share what I heard and hearing. 
redface.gif

Oct 23, 2016 at 7:25 PM Post #111 of 597
  Which one brings more emotion to you when you listen to them? The ypsilon or the nhoord?

It's different and rather than more and about preference too.
Like I said, the Ypsilon is like HD800 in a good way. It's airy, open and detailed. I think of  "cool breeze".
The Nhoord is like the LCD-2 (fazor). It's slightly warmer and rich like a "warm sunny day". 
I like both for different music and songs but if I had to choose, I still go with the Nhoord because the lower mids emphasis goes better or balances out the bright upper mids and lower treble spike of grado like drivers.
I think if the Ypsilon had slightly more lower mids, I might like the Ypsilon better.

Everyone looks for what is important for them in a sound. I have mine and others have theres.
I think that is why we have so many different opinions. 

Oct 23, 2016 at 7:50 PM Post #113 of 597
  ah, but which pair LOOKS the coolest. That's what really matters...

Yup...that's goes to the Ypsilon.
and Just in case anyone asks which is most comfortable, ha, ha... the Nhoords are more comfortable on the ears than the metal Ypsilon. 

Oct 23, 2016 at 8:03 PM Post #114 of 597
joeq70 said:
I purposely didn't comment on your Ypsilon and Magnum V7 impressions because I haven't built phones with those drivers, so your angle here is a bit strange and aggressive. If you are saying that in a world where only the V7, Ypsilon, and Nhoord exist that the Nhoord have, as you said,  "a very V-shaped sound, strong bass and peaky treble", well, that's fine and your impressions are your impressions. If your statement about the Nhoord is to be taken more generally, well that, too, is fine. I'm not interested in saying you are outright wrong about your hearing. However, my surprise is that someone would say this about the Nhoord in a general sense. IMO the Ultrasone Pro 900 is an example of a  V-shaped headphone, not the Nhoord.

My sincere apologies if I sounded strange and aggressive, that was not my intention, English is not my native language and honestly I try my best.
Please take a few posts back and read what was the original question.....

Do the nhoords' excel in any area more than the ypsilon or magnums? Can anyone chime in?

In short comparative impressions between the Nhoord, Ypsilon and Magnum, not the Ultrasone Pro 900 or some X, Y, Z headphones.
Having as reference a more V-shape headphone comparing with a the less V-shaped Nhoord it's easy to get wrong impressions and say that the Nhoords are not V-shape sounding.
So again sorry if I fail to see where your contribution to the above question fits.
FWIW, my reference is a HD800/HDVD800 combo individually L/R DSPed with Linear Phase FIR Filters to resemble as close as possible the sound I get from the custom monitors in the studio CR that are within 0.5db from 32Hz to 19kHz, it's a constant work in progress with micro adjustments every now and then.

@sling5s
Nothing wrong with expressing your first hand and honest impressions.

@fleasbaby
Let the kids play
tongue.gif

Oct 23, 2016 at 8:37 PM Post #115 of 597

My sincere apologies if I sounded strange and aggressive, that was not my intention, English is not my native language and honestly I try my best.
Please take a few posts back and read what was the original question.....

In short comparative impressions between the Nhoord, Ypsilon and Magnum, not the Ultrasone Pro 900 or some X, Y, Z headphones.
Having as reference a more V-shape headphone comparing with a the less V-shaped Nhoord it's easy to get wrong impressions and say that the Nhoords are not V-shape sounding.
So again sorry if I fail to see where your contribution to the above question fits.
FWIW, my reference is a HD800/HDVD800 combo individually L/R DSPed with Linear Phase FIR Filters to resemble as close as possible the sound I get from the custom monitors in the studio CR that are within 0.5db from 32Hz to 19kHz, it's a constant work in progress with micro adjustments every now and then.

@sling5s
Nothing wrong with expressing your first hand and honest impressions.

@fleasbaby
Let the kids play
tongue.gif

Hey it's all good! No harm intended here, either.  In order to properly respond to that comparison, I would indeed need to hear the V7 and Ypsilon, too. 

You are a good guy @fleasbaby  
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 24, 2016 at 4:42 AM Post #117 of 597
  For me it will be the ypsilon over the nhoord, its a bit more engaging to me, the more Grado like with a better low end.  But as others have noted, its just personal preference.

Hi David!
How have you been? Everything is good?

Feels like it's a situation where one have to get both and try it out for themselves isn't it? Particularly because there is only a limited number of people as of yet giving info about the Nhoord to guesstimate how I will like the sound compared to the preference of others giving the impressions.

Oct 24, 2016 at 7:55 AM Post #118 of 597

Hi David!

Feels like it's a situation where one have to get both and try it out for themselves isn't it? Particularly because there is only a limited number of people as of yet giving info about the Nhoord to guesstimate how I will like the sound compared to the preference of others giving the impressions.

Hi M, been good, started to bartend/cook again to help a friend out, hope all is well with you.

It really comes down to the individuals preference, some like the more forgiving and slightly less bright nhoord while others will like the more dynamic and slightly brighter ypsilon.  I haven't heard the V7 but @Konstantin690 says they are closer to the nhoord and his impressions are quite close to mind most of the time so I would take his word on the V7.  Of my friends who have heard all 3, half like the Ypsilon and the other half like the Nhoord, the RS2e doesn't seem to appeal to most due to the slightly thin and overly bright sounding nature.

Since you liked the RS2e I would say the Ypsilon would be more to your liking
RS2e: The upper mids and lower treble are more forward than either the Ypsilon or Nhoord and the RS2e also has the best sound stage of the 3, but not by much.
Ypsilon: most balanced from highs to lows of the 3 and best dynamics IMO
Nhoord: most forgiving, less bass than the ypsilon but more than the RS2e, best mids IMO with female and male vocals 

Oct 24, 2016 at 9:33 AM Post #119 of 597

Hi David!

Hi M, been good, started to bartend/cook again to help a friend out, hope all is well with you.

It really comes down to the individuals preference, some like the more forgiving and slightly less bright nhoord while others will like the more dynamic and slightly brighter ypsilon.  I haven't heard the V7 but @Konstantin690 says they are closer to the nhoord and his impressions are quite close to mind most of the time so I would take his word on the V7.  Of my friends who have heard all 3, half like the Ypsilon and the other half like the Nhoord, the RS2e doesn't seem to appeal to most due to the slightly thin and overly bright sounding nature.

Since you liked the RS2e I would say the Ypsilon would be more to your liking
RS2e: The upper mids and lower treble are more forward than either the Ypsilon or Nhoord and the RS2e also has the best sound stage of the 3, but not by much.
Ypsilon: most balanced from highs to lows of the 3 and best dynamics IMO
Nhoord: most forgiving, less bass than the ypsilon but more than the RS2e, best mids IMO with female and male vocals 

If its any help, I really like the old Grado sound signature found in those vintage "pink" driver SR80. I find similarities between them and the Nhoord. Your mileage may vary of course.

Oct 24, 2016 at 9:50 AM Post #120 of 597

If its any help, I really like the old Grado sound signature found in those vintage "pink" driver SR80. I find similarities between them and the Nhoord. Your mileage may vary of course.

Sorry for the noob question but is the "pink" driver the same as the "e" or are the current "e" series considered "red" vs "pink" in color.  My RS2e is closer to pink while the SR-225e is closer to red so a bit confused here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back