Grado Modders Go Nhoord?!?!
Oct 24, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #121 of 597
  Sorry for the noob question but is the "pink" driver the same as the "e" or are the current "e" series considered "red" vs "pink" in color.  My RS2e is closer to pink while the SR-225e is closer to red so a bit confused here.

Ah! No worries...so, way back, before the "e" and "i" series was the plain old SR series. Some of the oldest examples of the SR80 and SR60, and very rarely, some of the SR125 and the SR225 from back then are unique in that the white cheesecloth over the face of the ear-side of the driver discolored with time, and turned an interesting dirty shade of pink. These drivers sound slightly different from the run-of-the-mill Grado. Some say because old Joseph had more of a hand in their tuning, I think it is just because the Grado line is subject to tweaking within generations, and this was just a time when Joe felt this was what he liked hearing.

They have a more forgiving sound, probably manifesting that mid-bass hump folks hear in the Nhoord (I wouldn't know for sure, not being a measurements guru).

Oct 24, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #122 of 597
@fleasbaby, thanks for the history lesson
beerchug.gif

Oct 24, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #124 of 597
Just got my Nhoords installed.. Easy peasy with the solder pads and I love how they just slide into the standard size cups without any additional gasket material. Of course, though, I'm battling a full-on sinus infection today, so I think they sound good? I hear noise that resembles music, so I think we're good. Maybe it's a good thing while they get the first few days of burn in :)

So now I have functional headphones and am simply waiting for some cosmetic pieces to arrive: Onyx Manta headband and black gimbals from Rholupat.

Nov 5, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #125 of 597
Man these are fun. My goal was to build a pair of grado clones as my primary headphone with better materials for around the same money I was going to spend on a new pair of 325e's and I have most certainly done that. Waiting on my gimbals and then I'll post some final product pics, but these are just what I was wanting from a sonic perspective.

Nov 6, 2016 at 8:55 AM Post #126 of 597
This week I realized I need some simple, stock cups to test drivers in. Every time I test new ones, its usually in whatever odd, exotic new design I am testing I have on hand. So I made two pairs of RS1 clones from some Paduak I had spare:

I am hoping "the Twins" will help me get better side-by-side comparisons.

Nov 6, 2016 at 6:12 PM Post #127 of 597
Ohh. I love those RS1 clones. I wanted some wooden cups that were (just as deep) the same dimensions as the RS1 but it seems Turbulant and Etsy (seller) don't come in those RS1 dimensions. I would love to purchase or know where to purchase some deeper cups.
Does deeper cups make a difference compared to more shallow ones? I would assume you get more soundstage depth.
  This week I realized I need some simple, stock cups to test drivers in. Every time I test new ones, its usually in whatever odd, exotic new design I am testing I have on hand. So I made two pairs of RS1 clones from some Paduak I had spare:

I am hoping "the Twins" will help me get better side-by-side comparisons.

Nov 10, 2016 at 6:33 PM Post #128 of 597
Ok. I been doing some A/B with Ypsilon and Nhoord with Mojo to ZOTL2-S tube amp which is a very neutral revealing amp.
I felt the Cavalli Carbon added it's own sound signature to it. The Cavalli added some mid warmth and mid forwardness. The Zotl is much more neutral and revealing.

So far what I hear is that the Ypsilon is very open and clean sounding with more forward mids and treble compared to the Nhoord. It also is more detailed than the Nhoord.
The Nhoord is less forward in the mids and definitely in the treble. It has a very smooth and warm sound compared to the Ypsilon. 
I can see why some others think the Nhoord has recessed mids. Compared to the Ypsilon, it does in a way. Not that it's recessed, but compared to the Ypsilon, it does sound slightly recessed in the mids.

I prefer the Ypsilon with vocals, jazz and classical (or orchestral/electronic music like Radiohead) and with neutral recordings. It just has a more open, clean and airy sound.
It can however sound grainy, shouty and edgy on harsh to bright recordings.  
I have to note that I have to use the Tape Mod (in my case leather mod) with the Ypsilon or it becomes too lean, thin and bright for me with the ZOTL2.
So my impressions are with the Tape Mod. Without it, I just can't listen to it at least on the ZOTL2. With the Tape Mod, it brings the mid bass almost (but not quite) to the level of Nhoord. Having said that, the Ypsilon is better suited with my Elise tube amp. It's much warmer and lush amp than the ZOTL2 amp. With Elise, the Ypsilon has bass and warmth. 

I prefer the Nhoords with rock and pop and with bright recordings. It has more warm, relaxed and smooth, less grainy sound. 
It can sound too relaxed and not forward, or detailed, or engaging or airy enough with some recordings (only when compared to Ypsilon). 
With the Nhoords, you don't need the Tape Mod at all. It has sufficient mid bass but the Tape Mod enhances it making it more fun sounding. 

I guess I like both for different reasons. Both have strengths and weaknesses. 
But if I had to choose one, I still go with the Nhoords. 

Nov 14, 2016 at 1:37 AM Post #130 of 597
  Can someone compare the Nhoords to senngrados? Is it worth it to make senngrados if you already have nhoords?

I would say its not worth building a SennGrado at this point due to there being too much variation between drivers and the Nhoord being a much better performing driver.  The only reason I would build another SennGrado if for the bass and a signature that is a bit more fun.

Nov 14, 2016 at 2:04 AM Post #131 of 597
  I would say its not worth building a SennGrado at this point due to there being too much variation between drivers and the Nhoord being a much better performing driver.  The only reason I would build another SennGrado if for the bass and a signature that is a bit more fun.

Do you think any of the other drivers would be a nice complement to the nhoords, like the magnum or the ypsillon? 

Nov 15, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #133 of 597
Did some tweaking with the Nhoords because while I used the Carbon Cavalli which is a mid forward amp, I didn't notice the recessed mids at all, but with the ZOTL2, I noticed it slightly but with the Mojo by itself, I really noticed it. So I decided to try Flats (not the old Flats but the new TTVJ Deluxe Flats which fixed the muddy bass and rolled off treble) and it worked perfectly. It brought up the mids without losing the tightness of the bass and without rolling off the treble. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back