Grado Modders Go Nhoord?!?!
Jun 6, 2020 at 12:07 AM Post #526 of 597
Yeah, he's based in South Africa, and the lockdown for COVID is pretty intense there. They should be lifting some of the restrictions over the coming weeks though.

I ordered a set of Reds March 13, which was coincidentally pretty terrible timing, and my drivers shipped yesterday. Jaco did provide a couple of updates, and I knew South Africa went a little more hardcore than many other places, so I was never really worried. Can't wait to have them in hand and finally build a new set, I've been holding on to some walnut cups with dramatic grain and a nice cable sleeved in burgundy fabric for them.

Attachments

• IMG_20190323_122522.jpg
    IMG_20190323_122522.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Sep 17, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #527 of 597
Hello Nhoord modders. I made an account to describe my build. This thread gave me the confidence to execute my own build.

My particular version of a Nhoord Grado is a pair of Gold SR325i headphones that had a driver fail after quite a few years of heavy use. I put together a Nhoord build a few months ago in which I had to excise the existing drivers from the stock housings and do a bit of cleanup with a rotary tool. I epoxied the drivers in with the rationale that if I ever had a problem down the road, I could use much of the existing hardware for a wooden cup build.

They are good quality drivers that sound good out of the box. Deep extended bass, same Gradoish mids and sparkly highs. Great for nearly all kinds of music genres.
WcB2xw4.jpg

Jan 20, 2021 at 9:40 PM Post #529 of 597
Has anyone purchased or had units shipped to them by Nhoord recently?
I placed an order on 9/1 but haven't seen any order confirmation and no response when trying to contact them via their info email.
Any suggestion on the best way to try get in contact with them?

I'm ok with waiting a while since I'm ordering bits and pieces from all over for my custom build.
But am currently wondering how long I should wait before asking for a refund and go to an alternative driver.

Jan 21, 2021 at 3:36 AM Post #531 of 597
Has anyone purchased or had units shipped to them by Nhoord recently?
I placed an order on 9/1 but haven't seen any order confirmation and no response when trying to contact them via their info email.
Any suggestion on the best way to try get in contact with them?

I'm ok with waiting a while since I'm ordering bits and pieces from all over for my custom build.
But am currently wondering how long I should wait before asking for a refund and go to an alternative driver.

I had a similar experience in April but Jaco eventually got in touch with me. For what it's worth there was a lot of uncertainty then (and most likely now) with COVID lockdowns in south africa where Nhoord is located. If you can wait, I would definitely say it's worth it (For a comparison, I ordered in April but due to lockdowns in SA my drivers weren't shipped until June).

Jan 21, 2021 at 5:48 AM Post #532 of 597
also
too all the old people who have been modding grado design
have you guys tried parallel notch filter and zobel to tame and control the grado highs(inherent design peaks, it will be with every driver) to your liking
plus adding a DC bias(JBL everest speaker battery bias, to increase second order distortion)

i feel, using circuits will make driver perform faster and control peaking to our liking

Jan 21, 2021 at 7:23 AM Post #533 of 597
I also ordered from Nhoord in January 5th, I saw the message that they are on holiday until January 6th and start shipping after that, but only after ordering I realized that the message said January 6th 2020, not 2021... :sweat: Haven't received any shipping notification or anything else from them yet either. I'm not in a hurry to get the drivers, but would like to know some estimate how long it will take, couple months is fine by me but longer than that I may have to start thinking about the other driver options... @Sythe If you get any answer from them, please let us now, thanks.

Jan 21, 2021 at 6:22 PM Post #534 of 597
I also ordered from Nhoord in January 5th, I saw the message that they are on holiday until January 6th and start shipping after that, but only after ordering I realized that the message said January 6th 2020, not 2021... :sweat: Haven't received any shipping notification or anything else from them yet either. I'm not in a hurry to get the drivers, but would like to know some estimate how long it will take, couple months is fine by me but longer than that I may have to start thinking about the other driver options... @Sythe If you get any answer from them, please let us now, thanks.

Yeh, I saw the message about being closed until the 6th, which is why I ordered on the 9th. Figured he would be back by then.
Since I'd seen messages here about units shipping during last year I figured it was a typo on the year and it should have said 2021 instead of 2020.
I'm pretty much in the same boat. I can be patient and wait for another month or so, but I would have expected some contact by now...

Jan 22, 2021 at 9:36 AM Post #535 of 597
I placed my order on December 28th and also noticed the message about returning January 6th not realizing it was for 2020. I figured they were locked down again so I ordered a set of Turbulent drivers to hold me over until then. Turbulents are out for delivery today.

Jan 29, 2021 at 2:19 AM Post #536 of 597
I am new on this scene and tried to read through this thread but could not find answer for what is the status of the Scarlet/Infra driver, I can see mentions of a prototype driver from some three-four years ago and Nhoord Audio's Instagram has an image stating that the Infra driver will be available soon (from summer 2017), but it is still not available for purchase from their website. Does anyone have any info on what has happened with the development of the Infra driver?

Jan 29, 2021 at 6:13 AM Post #537 of 597
I am new on this scene and tried to read through this thread but could not find answer for what is the status of the Scarlet/Infra driver, I can see mentions of a prototype driver from some three-four years ago and Nhoord Audio's Instagram has an image stating that the Infra driver will be available soon (from summer 2017), but it is still not available for purchase from their website. Does anyone have any info on what has happened with the development of the Infra driver?
I´m confused too. No update for a long time. Maybe a well known member here could answer to this!? I asked a cup builder here, who -i think- knows the person (Jaco?) behind Nhoorrrrrrrrrd (If i remember how to spell it right!?! :wink: @fleasbaby).
But i have no idea at all. I didn´t know if i should order and wait what happen!? I wrote a mail approximatly a week ago to Nhoord, but still no response.

I placed my order on December 28th and also noticed the message about returning January 6th not realizing it was for 2020. I figured they were locked down again so I ordered a set of Turbulent drivers to hold me over until then. Turbulents are out for delivery today.
So, if i understand right you didn´t get any answer till today? But you´ve ordered a pair? The Turbulent X Drivers from Jin where made by Symphones, if i remember right?!

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #538 of 597
I´m confused too. No update for a long time. Maybe a well known member here could answer to this!? I asked a cup builder here, who -i think- knows the person (Jaco?) behind Nhoorrrrrrrrrd (If i remember how to spell it right!?! :wink: @fleasbaby).
But i have no idea at all. I didn´t know if i should order and wait what happen!? I wrote a mail approximatly a week ago to Nhoord, but still no response.

So, if i understand right you didn´t get any answer till today? But you´ve ordered a pair? The Turbulent X Drivers from Jin where made by Symphones, if i remember right?!

I havent heard anything from Nhoord. Just saw a message they had on their site but i think its from 2019. I know South Africa is getting hit pretty badly with a deadlier strain of the virus so that is probably the issue as to why no one has heard from Nhoord.

According to Turbulents website they are made by Symphones. At some point i have to make cups for them and they will be finished.

Jan 29, 2021 at 10:08 AM Post #539 of 597

I havent heard anything from Nhoord. Just saw a message they had on their site but i think its from 2019. I know South Africa is getting hit pretty badly with a deadlier strain of the virus so that is probably the issue as to why no one has heard from Nhoord.

According to Turbulents website they are made by Symphones. At some point i have to make cups for them and they will be finished.

South Africa has indeed been hit hard, and Jaco lives in a very urban area if I recall correctly. I have family out in a more remote area of South Africa and have been told in the rural areas things are easier, in the cities and towns its a little different. I haven't chatted with Jaco in a while, but I'll see if I can get hold of him...

Jan 29, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #540 of 597
I ended up messaging him on Instagram and got a reply after trying via email for a few weeks.
He said there was a delay in production and should be shipping around today.
I haven't seen any shipping advice yet, but I'm hoping they will ship next week.
Otherwise my patience may be up and I'll look at the alternatives.

From what I've read, they're the same/very similar to the Symphones v8.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back