Grado modders go Magnum
Feb 27, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #1,201 of 4,994

Quote:
The cuts on your cups look beautiful.  You have a very nice lip on the ear side of the cup, which is essential at properly holding the ear pads onto the cup.  Very nicely done.

Thank you wje, my friend made that for me

the cup is not finished yet, and my friend has made me another prototype using sonokeling (indian rosewood). early impression from him, it is much better than the mahogany (matches the bass quality & quantity of full magnum. mahogany couldn't). can't wait for this saturday to test them out!

Feb 28, 2012 at 1:45 AM Post #1,202 of 4,994

Quote:
Thank you wje, my friend made that for me

the cup is not finished yet, and my friend has made me another prototype using sonokeling (indian rosewood). early impression from him, it is much better than the mahogany (matches the bass quality & quantity of full magnum. mahogany couldn't). can't wait for this saturday to test them out!

If you ever need a tester.... AHEM :)

No really though, they look very good, thanks for contributing to the community!

Feb 28, 2012 at 10:13 AM Post #1,203 of 4,994

Quote:
If you ever need a tester.... AHEM :)

sure.. whenever in Indonesia
wink.gif

lol

Feb 29, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #1,204 of 4,994

yesterday I assembled my headphone:
- the new all black Magnum V4 drivers
- limba wood cups from thelostmidrange
- Sony headband
- Grado L-cush
- old Western Electric silk solid core cable
- Switchcraft 6.3 

using with an also newly assembled O2 amp, source is PC USB -> Hotaudio DAC WOW 
now after about 20 hours I think the highs are a little harsh/shiny but overall really impressing

Feb 29, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #1,205 of 4,994
+20 hours
to bright for me :frowning2: will try changing cables:
- 28AWG OCC silver solid core (perhaps 8core?)
- 26AWG OCC copper solid core
- 24AWG stranded silver plated OFC copper
I prepared for the tune :D

Mar 1, 2012 at 3:41 AM Post #1,207 of 4,994
X2
on the silver cable vs. copper, but keep in mind that, while noticeable, the difference is extremely minor.
If you find them "harsh" you may get more mileage by switching to flats (TTVJ pads). But I would also try the 414 pads in a reverse quarter mod. Based on my experience these drivers react similarly to grado drivers in respect to pad changes, so all the same rules apply. Getting your ear closer to the drivers typically decreases the edginess of the treble but will sacrifice some of the detail in the bass, especially when the drivers get covered by foam (the denser the foam the greater the impact on bass resolution). Plus the 414 pads are cheap and if you don't like it you can switch back. 

Mar 1, 2012 at 4:06 AM Post #1,208 of 4,994

Quote:
I have read that copper is warmer than silver. So that 26 AWG OCC copper wire might be less harsh. Just be extra careful desoldering and resoldering a new cable

It's not as night and day as you think, it all depends on the braid, quality of the build, and even down to the solder joints on your final sound. Thats why it's such a heated topic because one guy's cable made out of the same stuff will sound different than the others even if the two companies have the same source for their wire.

You gotta look at it on a case by case basis and treat them all like individual products from my point of view. Thats why "x" company sounding better than another is very hard to prove. I don't even bother answering most questions regarding sound. I just build whatever I like to build and if it sounds good, thats a bonus.

Whats even worse than cables is the whole "burn-in" thing...

Focus more on the other parts of your setup and then refine the quality of the build before trying to fill in gaps with really expensive silver cable.

I really hope I didn't violate any terms of use with this post but I'm just using my experience to try to help you guys out.

Mar 1, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #1,210 of 4,994
OK I finally got the lossless version of this CD. I don't hear any sibilance either on the v4's (grey or black) or on my HE-6's.
What is the source you are using? Are your files compressed?

Quote:
Guys and gals (if you're Magnum listeners) please do me a favor and listen to Arcade Fire's The Suburbs... You will most likely hear some sibilance to begin with.  Does the sibilance hurt your ears and sound almost grating? If not, then you most likely have the "laid-back" v4s. If you can't bear to make it through that opening track, then you have the sibilant v4 drivers.

Mar 1, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #1,211 of 4,994

Quote:
It's not as night and day as you think, it all depends on the braid, quality of the build, and even down to the solder joints on your final sound. Thats why it's such a heated topic because one guy's cable made out of the same stuff will sound different than the others even if the two companies have the same source for their wire.

You gotta look at it on a case by case basis and treat them all like individual products from my point of view. Thats why "x" company sounding better than another is very hard to prove. I don't even bother answering most questions regarding sound. I just build whatever I like to build and if it sounds good, thats a bonus.

Whats even worse than cables is the whole "burn-in" thing...

Focus more on the other parts of your setup and then refine the quality of the build before trying to fill in gaps with really expensive silver cable.

I really hope I didn't violate any terms of use with this post but I'm just using my experience to try to help you guys out.

I know it's not night and day; I just think if it sounds good, that's great, and there's really no need to change. I should have capitalized MIGHT when I said, "might sound less harsh."
I'm agree with what you said there ^^ if anything, but he specifically said he wanted to try a new cable and asked about which cable he should try. And I told him what I've read about silver vs. copper cables - basically what lostMIDrange has mentioned about silver vs copper - because I think he's got loads of experience with Magnum's drivers in limba cups. In fact boba6's setup is probably near identical to his setup, so his input is relevant in this case.
I probably could have been more specific but boba seemed like he had already made up his mind that he wanted to switch cables, and that's why I said what I did. Plus it was like 2 in the morning 
wink_face.gif

Mar 1, 2012 at 10:20 PM Post #1,212 of 4,994

Quote:
I know it's not night and day; I just think if it sounds good, that's great, and there's really no need to change. I should have capitalized MIGHT when I said, "might sound less harsh."
I'm agree with what you said there ^^ if anything, but he specifically said he wanted to try a new cable and asked about which cable he should try. And I told him what I've read about silver vs. copper cables - basically what lostMIDrange has mentioned about silver vs copper - because I think he's got loads of experience with Magnum's drivers in limba cups. In fact boba6's setup is probably near identical to his setup, so his input is relevant in this case.
I probably could have been more specific but boba seemed like he had already made up his mind that he wanted to switch cables, and that's why I said what I did. Plus it was like 2 in the morning 
wink_face.gif

Well time to mail out some "demo" cables to settle this once and for all :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back