Grado modders go Magnum
Jan 17, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #856 of 4,994
I'd still suspect that there is some change in the sound from allowing the new driver a chance to "loosen up" a bit.  You have voice coils, windings, etc. and these are all brand new, but probably only went through a 10 second QC test to ensure the driver was functional.  Also, Rhydon probably performed a few additional tests in regards to getting the drivers matched.  However, these tests are hardly enough to get the driver loosened up a bit in regards to ease and efficiency.  I still suspect it takes time to do that.  The first pair of v.4 drivers that I received, I ran them through nearly 100 hours of break in before putting them together and wearing them for a test lesson.  This latest pair only had 8 or so hours before they were on my ears.  Which reminds me, I forget to set up my system this morning to continue the burn-in process while I was at work.
confused.gif

Jan 18, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #859 of 4,994
30 hours into a burn in and no change - the only promising thing is I hear the same 'problems' I recall when I had my first un-burned set of mags. i.e. the bass was overbearing and the upper mids/lower treble were strident.......I only hope this means they will also settle in like the original set. If so, the bass will recede, the mids will bloom with color and the treble will mellow and naturalize.......I admit I'm getting nervous.

Jan 18, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #860 of 4,994

Quote:
Am I the only one that thinks the Bocote cups are absolutely beautiful :) ? How many pairs of Magnums can one guy justify lol ?? Sylvan has been pretty stellar to deal with as well.

The Bocote cups are a bit dark in color for my tastes - and, it's not that I like very light wood either.  Additionally, yes, Sylvan is great do work with and his quality of produced items is stellar, too.

Quote:
30 hours into a burn in and no change - the only promising thing is I hear the same 'problems' I recall when I had my first un-burned set of mags. i.e. the bass was overbearing and the upper mids/lower treble were strident.......I only hope this means they will also settle in like the original set. If so, the bass will recede, the mids will bloom with color and the treble will mellow and naturalize.......I admit I'm getting nervous.

At this point, something does seem a bit odd.  From the sounds you've described, it doesn't seem like the Magnums at all.  I had on my latest Magnums last evening - with less burn-in time than yours and I'll have to say, I don't recognize any of the items you've uncovered with the sound.

Jan 18, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #861 of 4,994
It's a language/commnication issue maybe and/or subtle things that would only be apparent with direct A/B 'ing. So it's not surprising you don't notice overbearing bass or a slightly strident snare drum. Without an identical set of phones with burned in drivers sitting right next to, one would likely not notice. Fortunately/Unfortunately? I do have such a set.

Jan 18, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #862 of 4,994
I have 2 pair of Magnum v.4 headphones.  The only difference is that one pair is obviously new and the other pair has has a good month to get a workout.  Also, the 2nd difference is the cups are made from 2 different types of wood.

Jan 18, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #864 of 4,994
Not saying I agree with the arguments that cable changes sound, but do you use the exact same cable as well?

Jan 18, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #865 of 4,994
IDENTICAL is a very precise word, and that is what I use to describe the two pairs. So Yes, same cable, even same jack. getting real 'scientific' over here. Eliminating all but one variable is the name of the game if you want to find out fact from mythology. No other method has a culture ever devised that works as well. If there is, someone let me know !

Jan 18, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #866 of 4,994
Hi. I got a pair of V4 magnum drivers today. How should I solder the signal and ground? There is a small dot/mark close to one of the solder pads. Is that the solder pad for the signal or the ground?

Jan 18, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #868 of 4,994

Quote:
the red dot is your hot side

Thanks! Then I did it correctly.

The headphones are now as raw as can be, unfinished  non-premium wood cups, no headband and temporary cable, but the sound i'm getting already makes this a VERY promising headphone. 

Jan 18, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #869 of 4,994

Quote:

The headphones are now as raw as can be, unfinished  non-premium wood cups, no headband and temporary cable, but the sound i'm getting already makes this a VERY promising headphone. 

You mention temporary cable.... Be careful about unsoldering/resoldering the solder joints. They're not made to hold up to that 

Jan 19, 2012 at 8:11 AM Post #870 of 4,994

Quote:

I would tape the drivers to my head if it ended up sounding good... unfortunately I have hundreds invested in my magnum setups hahaha

Somebody needs to introduce just ONE model of Magnum equipped Grados to the nonmodders... I wonder how the actual SR325-based thread is going, I've yet to post because of all the pages discussing them being too much to read with my adult ADD 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back