Grado modders go Magnum
Dec 24, 2011 at 1:53 PM Post #661 of 4,994

Quote:
I'm glad to have gotten in on the 2nd floor and a tear comes to my eye thinking I may have missed the elevator door and would be currently listening to hd650's or sr/rs grados.

And, you were able to keep some cash in your pocket, too.  More money to put towards amps, cables, LODs, etc. - Or, to just save.

Dec 24, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #664 of 4,994
Dec 24, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #666 of 4,994
Well my magnums won't be here till early next year so I don't have much to say atm, it's suppose to be FWJ#7 or something.

While I do play guitars, getting different tones is just a personal thing, I've been playing Ibanez signature models which are all pretty warm and good mids and then I tried out one of the JPM (John Petrucci signature model) and it's scooped-mid sound gives clarity but at the end of the day lacks that excitement of those DiMarzio Super Distortion pickups...

Dec 25, 2011 at 3:16 PM Post #667 of 4,994

Quote:
Definitely, I think it's the timbre and tonality that matters.  I don't care how transparent or detailed a headphone is, if the timbre and tone don't sound right to me, it means very little.
I would love to see the Magnums compared to PS1000 in terms of instrument separation and detail though.  My feelings are that the Magnums are better at both.  
I wish there was also a Magnum with Jumbos or I could purchase a Magnum with the Ultimate Mod with distancers and Jumbo pads.  Since I'm not a DIY, only way would for me to purchase one already done. 

Martin over at Martin Customs could probably do something like that for you.

http://martincustomaudio.blogspot.com/

Quote:
listening here to my diy magnums I literally feel sympathy for users of stock mass produced phones; grado, senn, beyer, AKG etc. And the saddest part is there is no good reason why that should be the state of affairs and is only due to ignorance; meaning unaware that mags exist and are affordable, even more so when one considers they really need no amplification. They are a new product though. I'm glad to have gotten in on the 2nd floor and a tear comes to my eye thinking I may have missed the elevator door and would be currently listening to hd650's or sr/rs grados.

I feel the same way.. Just kinda want to buy every grado owner a pair of magnum drivers and make the world a better place. 

Dec 26, 2011 at 6:43 AM Post #669 of 4,994

Quote:

Martin over at Martin Customs could probably do something like that for you.

http://martincustomaudio.blogspot.com/

I feel the same way.. Just kinda want to buy every grado owner a pair of magnum drivers and make the world a better place. 

I asked he seemed to instist that this is difficult and not recommended. It would be nice to find someone who has an off the shelf wooden inner for Magnums.
I asked he seemed to instist that this is difficult and not recommended. It would be nice to find someone who has an off the shelf wooden inner for Magnums.  I asked the wood crafters over at the south pacific headphone site and they didn't reply,  so it must be a tough one.

Quote:
the only issue with mesa boogie, except the older models, is that they strip the midrange out of guitar (and the guitar IS a midrange focused instrument) in alot of peoples' opinion, especially those who enjoy the vintage sounds made from 1968-1985 by other amp manufacturers. That's why mesa is not discussed on either of those vintage type amp forums much if at all. You can tell by my name-sake how much I'm devoted to keeping midrange alive and well in a society that devalues just about anything in the middle, tone being just one example. The world is going faster and faster, the universe is expanding, all the problems getting more extreme, people becoming more divided. I live simple, get back to basics, worship the middle......The magnum is an exception to the distrubing trends, it manages to achive both detail and midrange warmth. And that's rare ime. Most often midrange warmth is sacrificed in the name of 'detail'. When you scoop out the midrange, sure things can appear more detailed, but also less human and musical. Mesa suffers form this imo. Although one of my favorite players, dave meniketti from Y&T manages to use an old mesa tremoverb to great affect and warmth. So does carlos santana. Anywho, back to magnum discusion. In my mind it all relates, but not many would be interested in this particular association. short story, mags can do rock'n roll justice. Others can testify to other genres.

Love posts like this,  I am not a guitar player,  but am absolutely addicted to listening to early-mid electric guitar greats be it rock, jazz, or blues.   I do think what separate me from the whole "objectivists" movement is I want the midrange to sound live,  I don't necessarily want what is on the disc or the recording,  I want it real.  And the Grado's/Magnums are an important part of the puzzle for me.

Dec 27, 2011 at 6:53 AM Post #671 of 4,994

Quote:
I'm almost finished around here, and these will likely be some of my last insights into magnums and wood cups due partly to having found my ideal setup and partly due to apparent lack of interest in my 'research' and it is that.

I don't think you're alone with those thoughts.  When one was trying the various drivers - SR-80s with holes in them, moving to the SR-225s for a bit better clarity, etc. and then finally stumbling on the Magnum v.4 with wooden cups, a lot of us feel as though we've hit the mecca.  Sure, there is some chance for improved sound.  But, is it worth paying 300% more in money to get that final 10 to 15% in improvement?  In the business world, moving on a decision like that wouldn't fly.  So, for now, many of us have hit the top.  Could there be alternative solutions out there in the future?  Sure.  Could there be another Rhydon out there offering such great drivers to the DIY crowd?  Sure.  However, personally, if I were to have to keep a set of headphones the rest of my life - and be content, I'll have to honestly say that yes, I would be content.  I've been on this treadmill for about the past 33 or 34 years with audio.  I feel in somewhat short order, I've been able to resolve to a great pair of headphones - well, I should actually say two, because I will finish my 2nd pair of Magnums over the next few days when I get some more vacation time.

I've also reached that same level of content when it comes to my home audio, too.  Recently purchasing a "new" Yamaha integrated amplifier, the A-S500, I am very happy.  It is sort of a retro design with a black aluminum front panel - as well as a subwoofer output.  Yes, retro design and 2.1 sound.  Yes, it is that good.  
biggrin.gif

Finally, settling on a couple of portable / somewhat portable amplifiers for the headphones has just mean applying the final layer of icing on the cake.  Getting the O2 amp and then picking up a C&C BH portable amp, has me very content at the moment whether using my Sansa Fuze or even "gulp" the iPod Touch with the necessary EQ settings applied.

Dec 27, 2011 at 10:49 AM Post #672 of 4,994
Bought a pair of V4 Magnums and got the cable re-terminated to a 4 pin mini XLR.
This way I'll be able to use them balanced with the WA22 and also the RSA 71B.
Cups are Bloodwood. Sound is quite linear.
Am very keen to see how they compare with the HP 1000s
Will post some impressions.

Dec 28, 2011 at 10:45 AM Post #673 of 4,994
I can't help but be amazed that a pair of $120 drivers are being compared to some headphones that cost $1,700 (PS1K). What does that say about the magnums? 
biggrin.gif
 Anyway I had some SR325is on order but I am going to send them back and get me some magnum headphones also. It seems you can't go wrong with them.

Dec 28, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #674 of 4,994
I had an LCD-2 headband with blocks laying around (the LCD's have the new leather headband) so I decided to make some DIY gimbals to use with the SR 125's in wood slip on cups (I think they are cocobolo).
Several coat hangers died to further this experiment but eventually I think I got it. Once you measure out the sections it's fairly easy. Total cost of gimbals <$5.
Between the mix of parts, the simple cups and the gimbals these definitely have the DIY look to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back