Grado modders go Magnum
Dec 7, 2011 at 8:21 PM Post #466 of 4,994
My magnum drivers came in today and after what is likely to be the ugliest soldering job out there, I am giving them their first listen.  I had botched my sr-80i drivers when I tried to transfer them to Cabillas' cups earlier this year, so my hands were trembling with fear during the entire soldering process
eek.gif
It turned out okay though!  Wje's electrical tape trick worked perfectly as well.  Happy with the sound I'm getting so far
L3000.gif

Dec 8, 2011 at 1:03 AM Post #467 of 4,994
Here was my process, and it was worth all the time and effort :)

They're the best headphones ever man... I haven't heard the T1 or HD800 yet but god I love these

Dec 8, 2011 at 2:17 AM Post #468 of 4,994
Excellent use of rage comics.  Have you by chance had the opportunity to listen to magnums through a high quality copper cable?  I am curious as to how they would sound relative to a similarly priced silver recable.

Quote:
Here was my process, and it was worth all the time and effort :)

They're the best headphones ever man... I haven't heard the T1 or HD800 yet but god I love these

Dec 8, 2011 at 3:32 AM Post #469 of 4,994

Quote:
Excellent use of rage comics.  Have you by chance had the opportunity to listen to magnums through a high quality copper cable?  I am curious as to how they would sound relative to a similarly priced silver recable.

I don't have copper per se, I just use this gold plated copper from Clairvoyant Cables
http://clairvoyantcables.com/id81.html

Anyway the Magnums in a cup sound like they'd be worth like 700 dollars haha. It's just kind of limited to a DIY product and a LITERAL 700 dollar headphone. I wrote the first part before I remembered that you can buy a production Magnum headphone lol.

By doing it the full custom route I think you can save a couple hundred bucks though, if you're not DIY savvy it might be worth it to order a full Magnum headphone from a builder or something

Dec 8, 2011 at 4:40 AM Post #470 of 4,994

Quote:

I don't have copper per se, I just use this gold plated copper from Clairvoyant Cables
http://clairvoyantcables.com/id81.html

Anyway the Magnums in a cup sound like they'd be worth like 700 dollars haha. It's just kind of limited to a DIY product and a LITERAL 700 dollar headphone. I wrote the first part before I remembered that you can buy a production Magnum headphone lol.

By doing it the full custom route I think you can save a couple hundred bucks though, if you're not DIY savvy it might be worth it to order a full Magnum headphone from a builder or something

I built mine full aluminum for 305 :wink: 240 for the drivers and inners. 65 for some ms2i cups, and a headband/gimbals salvaged from my old sr80i's. 

Do you have yours in full wood or aluminum or some hybrid Chris?

Dec 8, 2011 at 7:10 AM Post #471 of 4,994

Quote:
I built mine full aluminum for 305 :wink: 240 for the drivers and inners. 65 for some ms2i cups, and a headband/gimbals salvaged from my old sr80i's. 

Do you have yours in full wood or aluminum or some hybrid Chris?

I bought the drivers. 300 ain't bad for a 700 dollar headphone build! You got off easy man!

Ran them in SR-60 plastic rings superglued back together and SR-225 caps for like 2 weeks.

I then had some Orenholtz RS-1 clones made for me a while back and they shipped to me the same time as the RS-2 cups I eventually bought from Marty and it was a tough call, but I'm a sucker for anything that says "GRADO REFERENCE SERIES". The Orenholtz are RS-1 spec though so I think if I had used them it'd sound better. I'm keeping them mint for the next person who keeps 'em.

I'm probably the only person on Head-fi running Magnums in stock Grado wood cups haha. 

I'm using Neotech 6N OCC silver wire for the cable. I'm working on having some rodblocks done for me by Orenholtz... his cups were friggin nice... I just couldn't turn down having a set of blocks made haha

Dec 8, 2011 at 7:52 AM Post #473 of 4,994

Quote:
lol i see someone has been reading lots of 9gag =)

DUDE. You need to get your Mag's in the mail soon... I dunno how they're gonna sound in Cabillas cups... but it's ridiculous in Grado shells. Like I have the money to buy some HE-500's right now if I sell a couple of things but I have like NO desire to for once.

Also I think your cable was probably one of the most expensive non HD800/HD650 cables I made so you'd better enjoy the crap out of it!

Dec 8, 2011 at 8:31 AM Post #474 of 4,994

Quote:

DUDE. You need to get your Mag's in the mail soon... I dunno how they're gonna sound in Cabillas cups... but it's ridiculous in Grado shells. Like I have the money to buy some HE-500's right now if I sell a couple of things but I have like NO desire to for once.

Also I think your cable was probably one of the most expensive non HD800/HD650 cables I made so you'd better enjoy the crap out of it!

Grins =) 

Dec 8, 2011 at 9:21 AM Post #475 of 4,994

Quote:

While it's been probably 6 months since I've heard my magnums v2.5 I would be hard to choose between the T1, HD800 and the Magnums. Ofc mine has been on loan and currently in the FWJ process so they may change but they were that good to me. I still do want to pick up an HD800 down the line since the last one I heard was so damn good but I need to A/B when I get my Magnums back.

Dec 8, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #478 of 4,994
Yeah, Chris. If you don't mind divulging your trade secrets, where did you get those Y-splits?

I ordered up a bunch of Mogami cable to convert my headphones to balanced. I'm using Techflex nylon multifilament for the sleeving, but not sure how to handle the y-splits (not a fan of the heatshrink look). 

BTW, Rhydon should be sending out V4 drivers to me today! 

Dec 8, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #479 of 4,994

Quote:
Yeah, Chris. If you don't mind divulging your trade secrets, where did you get those Y-splits?

I ordered up a bunch of Mogami cable to convert my headphones to balanced. I'm using Techflex nylon multifilament for the sleeving, but not sure how to handle the y-splits (not a fan of the heatshrink look). 

BTW, Rhydon should be sending out V4 drivers to me today! 

Lol I have no secrets, I just braid fancy wire for my bread and butter, nothing more :)

The Y-Splits are from Viablue from Av-Outlet.com. Their checkout system doesn't work in Google Chrome for the record. They're 10 dollars apiece and you get free shipping if you spend 25, so it's an awesome chance to buy a Viablue for only 11 dollars! Of course if you guys have any questions regarding cable construction and how to build a Magnum the right way the first time around, I'd rather you guys did it right than be concerned about making a buck lol so feel free to ask me anything on this thread!

You can just convert your cable to balanced by splitting the end like 8" up and just reterminating them. Although the true balanced spec calls for basically a shielded wire or these days, two separate cables (one for each channel), I just like to do the dualies at the end since my wires are very whell insulated and use the litz braid to shed RFI/EMI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back