Grado modders go Magnum
Dec 3, 2011 at 3:05 PM Post #421 of 4,994

Quote:
Thanx, I think yoU are definitely right about the flexibility part. I also think it's important.
As far as th price, I am just trying to see if there's a sweet spot for the magnums. It's like this, I would not put 6n or 7n silver cables on sr60i driver. Maybe there is some benefit in sound, but really isn't worth the upgrade.
The Magnum drivers are supposivey very finely tuned, very dynamic and super revealing right? Some how it reproduces the richness in the timber of various instruments if I perceived correctly from some of ths users' comments. If that is the case, I am guessing with such a detail pair of drivers, it might just worth the cable upgrade. It might reveal more?
Again, I have notice the difference with good silver cables on some very revealing headphones. So I do believe in the change and sound upgrade. I am just curious about the sweet spot for these Magnums.
I know this might be preferential, but please enlighten me if you can. Thanks.
Am I breaking the forum's rule by keep discussing about cables?

They are the best grado drivers I have heard.. a lot of people feel the same way about them :) I personally A/B'd copper and silver cables with 3.5 magnums, and heard no difference. Then again, I don't hear much of a difference with a lot of snake oil that is sold here on head fi *shrugs* To each their own.

Dec 4, 2011 at 9:41 PM Post #422 of 4,994

Quote:
They are the best grado drivers I have heard.. a lot of people feel the same way about them :) I personally A/B'd copper and silver cables with 3.5 magnums, and heard no difference. Then again, I don't hear much of a difference with a lot of snake oil that is sold here on head fi *shrugs* To each their own.

Hey Chris,

Out of curiosity, what caliber of silver cables and copper cables did you A/Bed??

Silver cables aren't always better than Copper. In fact, there are some very high purity copper cable that sounds even better than silver cables, and cost even more. At least this is according to my cable guy.

AS far as the affect of different cables goes, it really depends on the ears of individuals. I believe in the differences because that is what my ears tell me. However, my budget for myself is also limited during the holiday season and I simply want to find a sweet spot and the best cost/benefit ratio.

Currently, I'm in the position of either getting the Grado UHPLC cables for $35,4n silver for $75, and 5n silver for $115. I dunno what to do: ( Please help guys. Thanx.

Dec 4, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #423 of 4,994

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisztian420 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At least this is according to my cable guy.

Well if you were buying something would you trust everything the salesman told you? Also, I'd suggest getting the Grado cables. You mean the gardenhose ones, yes? If you can stand the weight/length, I think those would be your best option.

Dec 4, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #424 of 4,994

Quote:
Well if you were buying something would you trust everything the salesman told you? Also, I'd suggest getting the Grado cables. You mean the gardenhose ones, yes? If you can stand the weight/length, I think those would be your best option.

Of course not. I know everyone wants to make money, and selling cable is his business.

I completely agree with Nightslayer, and I appreciate your advice.

I asked my cable guy Jimmy about the differences in high-end cables a few years back. I have known the guy for almost 5 years now, and I trust him for his craftsmanship. He does a very good job at fixing cables, and soldering some of my broken electrical gadgets. We are friendly, but he is still trying to make money at the end of the day.

He recommended me 5n cables, over the 4n. So here I am, doing my research.

One of our fellow headfier suggested 6n or above. However, I can't justify spending that much for cables.

Yes the UHPLC cables are the thick ones for 325is, RSi series.

I know this info might be useful for modders when they don't need to use Grado cables. So, I will do a brief summary at the end of this quest, and share with everyone. Thanx.

Dec 5, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #425 of 4,994

Quote:
Hey Chris,

Out of curiosity, what caliber of silver cables and copper cables did you A/Bed??

Silver cables aren't always better than Copper. In fact, there are some very high purity copper cable that sounds even better than silver cables, and cost even more. At least this is according to my cable guy.

AS far as the affect of different cables goes, it really depends on the ears of individuals. I believe in the differences because that is what my ears tell me. However, my budget for myself is also limited during the holiday season and I simply want to find a sweet spot and the best cost/benefit ratio.

Currently, I'm in the position of either getting the Grado UHPLC cables for $35,4n silver for $75, and 5n silver for $115. I dunno what to do: ( Please help guys. Thanx.

The 4 conductor factory grado cable vs. 28 awg 8-conductor silver (not positive on the purity, but I know it is good stuff, Stefan is pretty serious about his cables)

http://martincustomaudio.blogspot.com/2011/09/cocobolo-magnums-with-xlrs-part-deux.html

I have also messed around with solid-core silver cables on an sr80i in wood and portapros, as well. Didn't hear any difference. 

35 for a grado cable? I'm getting on for the price of shipping... :-/ 8 conductor too.

Quote:

I like the 8 conductor cables a lot too.

Dec 5, 2011 at 12:46 AM Post #426 of 4,994
I A/Bed them with Chris.  There was no difference between the two at all.  Not a bit.

Quote:
Hey Chris,

Dec 5, 2011 at 8:35 AM Post #427 of 4,994
Don't stress about cable choice lisztian420..

Put your money into the Magnum and getting a good set of cups for the drivers to play music in. If you absolutely want a high quality/nice looking one, then perhaps you should elect to build a fancy cable. I build them for myself because I love the way bare wire cables look, feel, and weigh compared to the stock 8 conductor behemoth.. the sonic benefits are there at in the brand/grade of silver I personally use for my own headphones, but it's not enough for me to ever market them as "wonder cables"... and I definitely try to use the pure stuff too when I can. I'm not even sure if purity is even the end-all statistic. a lot of other vendors don't even publish it.

I hope I didn't violate any rules, I'm just telling you to just use the stock Grado cable and save money for really nice cups :)

Dec 5, 2011 at 8:40 AM Post #428 of 4,994
What's all this talk about snake oil?  I just ordered a 55 gallon drum of it.  
biggrin.gif

Actually, I was able to get a nice little package from Markertek last week that consisted of 20 feet of Canare Quad, 5 male Neutrik connectors and one Female Neutrik locking connector.  I've been building the cables, but haven't tried them out yet.  However, for the goods that I received, I am pleased with my purchase.

Dec 5, 2011 at 9:44 AM Post #429 of 4,994
The problem with cables is that everyone hears the same cable differently.

Anyhow, I've refitted my SR60 and given it to my brother (think I've mentioned this before).

Now still waiting on the bowl pads to come in (waited for more than 2 months now).

Some guy on another forum said that he has access to a CNC machine at his school's workshop, so he might be able to make some cups.

I also got in touch (through someone else) w/ some of the headphile guys who make excellent wood cups from ironwood and mahogany. 

On the other hand, there's the Magnum mod, but we've got to ship it in and everything.... which is really troublesome.  

It's entirely up to my bro now though. 

On the other, other hand, Ibasso's coming up with a new PMP. So he might go for that instead.

Anyhow, I've moved on to portable-fi. Etymotic HF5 + Sansa Clip+ ftw. 

It's a good substitute for Grados on the go. Very clear, neutral sound. But the highs aren't as harsh as the Grados,

so electric guitar doesn't sound as awesome as on the SR60. Maybe I should've gotten the TF10 along w/ the HF5s ... 

ph34r.gif

Dec 5, 2011 at 10:23 AM Post #430 of 4,994

Quote:
The problem with cables is that everyone hears the same cable differently.

Anyhow, I've refitted my SR60 and given it to my brother (think I've mentioned this before).

Now still waiting on the bowl pads to come in (waited for more than 2 months now).

Some guy on another forum said that he has access to a CNC machine at his school's workshop, so he might be able to make some cups.

I also got in touch (through someone else) w/ some of the headphile guys who make excellent wood cups from ironwood and mahogany. 

On the other hand, there's the Magnum mod, but we've got to ship it in and everything.... which is really troublesome.  

It's entirely up to my bro now though. 

On the other, other hand, Ibasso's coming up with a new PMP. So he might go for that instead.

Anyhow, I've moved on to portable-fi. Etymotic HF5 + Sansa Clip+ ftw. 

It's a good substitute for Grados on the go. Very clear, neutral sound. But the highs aren't as harsh as the Grados,

so electric guitar doesn't sound as awesome as on the SR60. Maybe I should've gotten the TF10 along w/ the HF5s ...

Ety's were never large on bass, were they? Also, might that "other forum" happen to be HWZ? :)

Dec 5, 2011 at 10:30 AM Post #431 of 4,994
sgheadphones, actually. Ety's aren't large on bass, but the bass is very precise. I like it. It's very versatile. 

Dec 5, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #432 of 4,994
Don't stress about cable choice lisztian420..

Put your money into the Magnum and getting a good set of cups for the drivers to play music in. If you absolutely want a high quality/nice looking one, then perhaps you should elect to build a fancy cable. I build them for myself because I love the way bare wire cables look, feel, and weigh compared to the stock 8 conductor behemoth.. the sonic benefits are there at in the brand/grade of silver I personally use for my own headphones, but it's not enough for me to ever market them as "wonder cables"... and I definitely try to use the pure stuff too when I can. I'm not even sure if purity is even the end-all statistic. a lot of other vendors don't even publish it.

I hope I didn't violate any rules, I'm just telling you to just use the stock Grado cable and save money for really nice cups :)

Thanks again Chris! I already have a pair of deep Mahogany cups with plastic ring dampening on them. They sound great, and is pretty solid.

Ok, so your advice for me was either 6n or 4n. I think in that case, I will go with 4n. I don't like the Y splitters in Grado cables: ( I guess paying Extra for the comfort, and little sound change is the way to go.. Once again you dont think 5n silver are really worth it the extra right?

Oh yes, and thank you guys for the wonderful inputs!

Dec 5, 2011 at 1:44 PM Post #433 of 4,994
Maybe I have just succumed to all of the hype with these drivers, but I can honestly say putting these drivers on my head (encased in a pair of Cabillas cups and stock Grado 8wire garden hose) that I have never got tingles listening to music before coming directly out of my iPod.

I got these things running a few hours ago and I am thinking about selling every other pair I own LOL

Darren

Dec 5, 2011 at 2:05 PM Post #434 of 4,994
Great! now you want to compare them to LCD2-? (I saw your adds on the other site 
wink_face.gif
).

Quote:
Maybe I have just succumed to all of the hype with these drivers, but I can honestly say putting these drivers on my head (encased in a pair of Cabillas cups and stock Grado 8wire garden hose) that I have never got tingles listening to music before coming directly out of my iPod.

I got these things running a few hours ago and I am thinking about selling every other pair I own LOL

Darren

Dec 5, 2011 at 2:19 PM Post #435 of 4,994

Quote:

Darren

Nice, Darren! 

I'm looking into doing the same thing (Magnums in a Cabillas cup). Honestly, after hearing Stefan's V3.5 in wooden cups, I feel it's EXACTLY what I want in a headphone. I love the energy of Grados -- enough so that I'd put up with the harshness and extra energy in the treble. But the Magnums are very smooth while they still have that sparkle. Plus, the bottom end has more slam -- which I generally like because it gives the music body. One reason I could never fully LOVE the K701 -- although it does a lot of things well -- is that headphones that lack bottom end just feel a bit sterile. They're a ton more refined than the 225 drivers that I had -- which feels so much more grainy and shouty in comparison. I wish I still had the MS-Pros to compare them to, because what I loved most about the MS-Pros is that they were a very refined-sounding (comparatively) Grado. 

I honestly haven't even really listened to my LCD-2 at all for the week that I've had these. They're tons more fun. 

I'm going to email Rhydon about some drivers now. Anyone know how long it generally takes? I also have an HD800 coming in a couple of weeks, so it'll be fun to do a 3-way review. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back