Grado modders go Magnum
May 24, 2016 at 9:42 AM Post #4,113 of 4,994
  I have a Sr325is and i like it a lot so i decided to make my own a magnum hoping that it will be an improvement over the sr325is so i bought v6 driver and a custom wood cup for 40-44mm without knowing it will fit or not. So finally i received the cup, it was made both from aluminum and wood, the driver chamber is made from aluminum but it mouting hole is only fit for 40mm driver so it's no use. The cup opening is about 44mm, loosely fit magnum driver so i have to use hot glue to attach the driver. How does it sound? Not good at all, it has smooth sound, the treble lvl no where near grado, it sound off, soundstage is too small and bass is loose, too much mid bass. I must say it even doesn't sound better than my sr60e, it was burnt in for about 20 hours so it's not the problem of burn in, do you guy have any suggestion?

Anyone have an idea?

May 24, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #4,114 of 4,994

Anyone have an idea?

By the look of it, the drivers needs to be flash mounted, pushing the driver back into the housing is not good practice as now has to "work" on a larger volume killing bass response and impact, pad "leaking" could also be in issue with these cups.
The back opening of the cup looks too small, has to be larger, internal reflections are not a good thing.
Hot Glue is a "no-no". Are you sure you did not damaged them?

May 24, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #4,115 of 4,994

I have a Sr325is and i like it a lot so i decided to make my own a magnum hoping that it will be an improvement over the sr325is so i bought v6 driver and a custom wood cup for 40-44mm without knowing it will fit or not. So finally i received the cup, it was made both from aluminum and wood, the driver chamber is made from aluminum but it mouting hole is only fit for 40mm driver so it's no use. The cup opening is about 44mm, loosely fit magnum driver so i have to use hot glue to attach the driver. How does it sound? Not good at all, it has smooth sound, the treble lvl no where near grado, it sound off, soundstage is too small and bass is loose, too much mid bass. I must say it even doesn't sound better than my sr60e, it was burnt in for about 20 hours so it's not the problem of burn in, do you guy have any suggestion?

Anyone have an idea?

I would agree that the driver is mounted too far into the cup, it should be easy for someone to make an adapter for you.

May 25, 2016 at 10:00 PM Post #4,117 of 4,994
Thanks all for your suggestion, i'm thinking about making a mouting for driver by using acrylic, a local shop do cnc acrylic real cheap. But have you guy ever heard the magnum with just the driver alone? I tried listening to it this way and it sound somewhat better, more air, cleaner but still congested and mid bassy, detail level is okay, nothing stand out, i expect much more from this driver.

May 26, 2016 at 4:51 AM Post #4,118 of 4,994
  Thanks all for your suggestion, i'm thinking about making a mouting for driver by using acrylic, a local shop do cnc acrylic real cheap. But have you guy ever heard the magnum with just the driver alone? I tried listening to it this way and it sound somewhat better, more air, cleaner but still congested and mid bassy, detail level is okay, nothing stand out, i expect much more from this driver.

You better get a descent pair of "tried and proven" mahogany cups than using adapters, Elleven Acoustica and Turbulent make really nice cups.
Magnums in general have a V shape sound signature to it with a Mid-Bass hump, if you want something more Neutral sounding try the Ypsilon drivers but without descent cups you will not do either driver justice.

May 27, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #4,120 of 4,994
Still loving my V5 custom set. Everytime I put it down for a while and return to it, I ask myself why I ever stopped listening to them. Never tried any of those high-end headphones, but I prefer my v5 to all of the mid-fi headphones I have tried - HD650, AKG K702, Audio Technica AD900, Grado SR225. All good headphones, but there's something special about the v5. In wooden cups they just produce amazing sound.

May 27, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #4,121 of 4,994
Anyone here that got the dimensions of the original spacer/adapter for the grado drivers?  The one that's glued to the driver and which you remove when u liberate the driver.
Or perhaps even better a 3D model of it?

I ordered a pair of alu cups from spirits labs and suprise, suprise, they are for "not"-liberated drivers so I need the spacer/adapter for my Magnum drivers.
I could 3D print some but I don't have the dimensions of it.. 

May 27, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #4,122 of 4,994
Anyone here that got the dimensions of the original spacer/adapter for the grado drivers?  The one that's glued to the driver and which you remove when u liberate the driver.
Or perhaps even better a 3D model of it?

I ordered a pair of alu cups from spirits labs and suprise, suprise, they are for "not"-liberated drivers so I need the spacer/adapter for my Magnum drivers.
I could 3D print some but I don't have the dimensions of it.. 

You could ask fleasbaby to make you one.

May 27, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #4,123 of 4,994
You could ask fleasbaby to make you one.

I bought some spirit labs cups and bought some alloy sleeves on here from a guy who had loads .the drivers then slide in beautifully and you can use the threaded holes with M4 grub screws to hold the drivers in place.
I'll have a look and see who I bought the sleeves from if you like

Users who are viewing this thread

Back