GRADO GR10: Reviews, First Impressions Thread
Nov 22, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #151 of 1,160

Quote:

I suspect I'll have a pair of lightly-used GR8s on the market in a few weeks
wink.gif

So I take it there a big enough increase in sound quality to justify the upgrade from GR8 to GR10?

Has anyone done a GR10 --  FI-BA-SB comparison?  I can't find one and they both seem to be the same price. I wish I knew which was better.

Nov 22, 2010 at 7:36 PM Post #152 of 1,160

Quote:
^ If you want something "violent" in the MA department, the FI-BA-SB are the way to go.

(@goodvibes: I know they're not proven MAs, so let's just say their armatures are moving a lot of air
wink.gif
)

LOL. Did the Finals change a lot over the first 50+ hours? May be an indicator of what's actually in there. As I've said, at the end of the day, only the sound, comfort and reliabilty matters. It's just nice to know.
bigsmile_face.gif
I think Ericp10 will stop by and give a listen in the coming weeks and he's had/has the Ortos and lots of others so perhaps he can give more perspective on the GR10. 

Nov 22, 2010 at 7:40 PM Post #153 of 1,160

Quote:
I'm sending these back for a replacement pair, but I gave them a little ear time today since I can't get to the post office right away (seriously... why do they close at 5? We're all at work till 5!)

Early review: I like them a lot, they have a lot in common with the GR8 but maybe a tad more V shaped (a hair more bass and a decent amount more treble). I feel like the GR8 is "warm" to my ear because of a rolled-off treble, and the GR10 is "warm" to my ear because of a slightly heavier upper bass / lower mids. I EQed down the 220Hz band on my S9 and it started sounding just perfect to me, not warm at all but just right. There is a lovely delicacy about them and the texture of instruments and voices is beautiful. Like the GR8, I especially enjoy how they sound with strings. Excellent detail. Compared to the GR8s side by side they just have a more realistic sound. Outwardly the two IEMs are identical - cable, housing, tips. Just the color and the innards are different. The GR10s are substantially louder than the GR8s (~25% on the S9) but have about the same amount of hiss when plugged into a noisy source (my laptop).

I'm using them with modded Comply tips (trimmed to the same length as the Grado tips to keep the same wide-open sound tube and distance from the eardrum) - the Grado tips are great, but my ears won't tolerate silicone tips. It's really a shame because the ease of use with the included tips is incredible. You couldn't get a smoother insertion if you lubricated them, and they seal perfectly every time - no muss, no fuss. 

I suspect I'll have a pair of lightly-used GR8s on the market in a few weeks
wink.gif

Can you do a favor and run them in overnight and give another listen before you send them off and see if you notice a change.  Mine seem to be warming back up a bit but it's now subtle enough where it could be other factors.

Nov 22, 2010 at 7:49 PM Post #154 of 1,160
Quote:
So I take it there a big enough increase in sound quality to justify the upgrade from GR8 to GR10?  
 Has anyone done a GR10 --  FI-BA-SB comparison?  I can't find one and they both seem to be the same price. I wish I knew which was better.

For me it's worth it... that's a very subjective equation, though. I have a hard time saying just how much of an increase there is after spending a mere hour swapping them back and forth while trying to figure out equal volume levels and EQ and so on. I like them both a lot, though, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend the GR8 to someone if they didn't want to spend the $$ for the GR10.

Nov 22, 2010 at 7:54 PM Post #155 of 1,160
Quote:
Can you do a favor and run them in overnight and give another listen before you send them off and see if you notice a change.  Mine seem to be warming back up a bit but it's now subtle enough where it could be other factors.

I can't guarantee I will have time to listen and post here in the morning before I head out, but if I can.. I will.

Nov 22, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #156 of 1,160

Quote:
 I like them both a lot, though, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend the GR8 to someone if they didn't want to spend the $$ for the GR10.

I think the GR8 is fantastic in a lot of ways. One thing I particularly liked was the fact that the impedance is higher than most iems. When paired with a nice amp or powerful source the things just simply sing.

Now with the GR10 the impedance has been lowered. Kind of reminds me of the whole ER-4P/ER-4S thing and makes me wonder if there aren't similarities. One was meant for use with an amp while the other didn't need an amp to sound good. I'm just thinking out loud......lol

Nov 22, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #157 of 1,160
After playing the Green for a day, I just find out that the sound is warm, yet brighter than the GR8, which makes some guitar solos becomes more fatiguing.
However, the timbre of this pair is excellent. Just plug it in, and I have some kind like "wow, this is the real piano".
This baby - though having only 32 ohms of impedance - still require an amp. I tried some tracks where at higher volume there is a slight - very slight - distortion. Without an amp, the GR8 would cry at this volume.

Nov 22, 2010 at 10:13 PM Post #158 of 1,160
Is it really that bad with the GR8 unamped? There sensitivity suggests that they aren't very hard to drive.

Nov 22, 2010 at 10:34 PM Post #162 of 1,160
It sounded like it was relevant to my post :p

I do have a question to those who have had the GR10 for a little while now. Someone mentioned a treble roll off in the GR10. Has anyone (Spyro and goodvibes mostly or anyone else who has owned them for as long as either) else noticed a treble roll off?

Nov 22, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #163 of 1,160

Quote:
Is it really that bad with the GR8 unamped? There sensitivity suggests that they aren't very hard to drive.

No no no not at all. They are not hard to drive.
But, with an amp, the bass becomes even more spectacular, the soundstage opens up even more etc. To me it makes a great iem a spectacular iem. 

I was just wondering why the impedance of the GR10 is so much lower than the GR8. (thus the ER-4S/ER-4P comment)

Nov 22, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #164 of 1,160

Quote:
so are you saying the GR8 is more or less efficient than the GR10?

Yep, imo, it is that bad. In some tracks - for instance, "Japanese Overture", ost of the game Hearts of Iron 2, the amplifier clipping becomes very annoying. With a sufficient amp, the GR8 is on another level.
So far I haven't heard any roll off in treble of the Green. The treble is as bright as the green color :)

Nov 22, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #165 of 1,160
Thanks for the information quang :)

Also, I just had to note that I find it quite amusing that you keep calling it the Green 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back