GRADO GR10: Reviews, First Impressions Thread
Nov 19, 2010 at 3:31 PM Post #121 of 1,160
They were out for a bit but I know for a fact that they have them in stock as I type this. Problem is that even if you got them today they wouldn't be all they could be by tomorrow. I'm considering sending my pair to Rawster in NY for a listen and review but I'm getting a bit too fond of them to lose them this early. I like to see what Joker thinks at some point too.

Nov 19, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #122 of 1,160

Quote:
 I'm considering sending my pair to Rawster in NY for a listen and review but I'm getting a bit too fond of them to lose them this early. I like to see what Joker thinks at some point too.

I think they DO grow on you with the break-in period.  Once you get beyond the fact that they won't have the BIG BASS so many other IEM's have, you realize pretty much every other aspect of this fine IEM is perfect or as good or better than anything else you have heard.

Nov 19, 2010 at 6:34 PM Post #123 of 1,160
As someone who is constantly dumbfounded by the amount of bass other head-fiers seem to think is normal/natural, I am reassured by the comments about slightly lean bass.
wink.gif

I keep going to classical concerts and for some reason I don't understand, none of the big drums or bass instruments impart the slightest bit of "impact" or "slam" like people say they should have. Shouldn't the timpani make me feel like I've been repeatedly kicked in the head??
tongue.gif

Nov 19, 2010 at 6:40 PM Post #124 of 1,160
Quote:
They were out for a bit but I know for a fact that they have them in stock as I type this.

that dealers might have 'em or that Grado does. Grado told me today that they were sold out.

Quote:
As someone who is constantly dumbfounded by the amount of bass other head-fiers seem to think is normal/natural, I am reassured by the comments about slightly lean bass.
wink.gif

I keep going to classical concerts and for some reason I don't understand, none of the big drums or bass instruments impart the slightest bit of "impact" or "slam" like people say they should have. Shouldn't the timpani make me feel like I've been repeatedly kicked in the head??
tongue.gif

not in the head but with real deep bass you can sense it in your body and via bone conduction. cans in general, and iems in particular, cannot give you that and can sound thinner than real life or a well balanced speaker system.

Nov 19, 2010 at 6:55 PM Post #125 of 1,160
Yeah, at a rock concert with amplified bass, or if you are standing very close to the instrument, of course you can feel it through your whole body.

However, I don't believe that my IEMs are supposed to be making a studio recording sound like a live rock concert where the sound engineer is trying to shake the foundation by EQing the bass to distortion.

I go to lots of concerts and I do have a good idea of what instruments should sound like... +20db in the bass is not "natural."

Nov 19, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #126 of 1,160

Quote:
wink.gif

tongue.gif

Listen to Tchaikovsky's 1812 and tell me if your recording and/or IEMs portray a canon properly.  I'd venture to say your preference would make canons sound like a pop gun.  They play it out here every year live so I have a decent reference as well.  It also depends on whats being played on the timpani.  I also question using a Timpani as your reference for bass accuracy.  I'd rely more on the drum kit of someone like Nick Peart or Taiko drums from Kodo for that.  Plus classical isn't only genre out there nor does it represent the defacto standard of reference.  The majority of off the shelf classical recording are crap IMO.  

Nov 19, 2010 at 7:02 PM Post #127 of 1,160

Quote:
Yeah, at a rock concert with amplified bass, or if you are standing very close to the instrument, of course you can feel it through your whole body.

However, I don't believe that my IEMs are supposed to be making a studio recording sound like a live rock concert where the sound engineer is trying to shake the foundation by EQing the bass to distortion.

I go to lots of concerts and I do have a good idea of what instruments should sound like... +20db in the bass is not "natural."

Pft, every Jazz concert I sit in the first two rows and feel the drum kit quite perceptibly.  I'll seek to attain that live sound signature rather than accept whatever degradation might have occurred in the studio.   

Nov 19, 2010 at 7:21 PM Post #128 of 1,160
I'm sorry if my joke about the timpani upset you in some way
wink_face.gif
   I actually rarely listen to classical at home.

I prefer a more balanced sound and not the front row drummer-in-your-face sound when I am listening at home. I've sat in the front of many jazz concerts myself (I once took a drumstick to the face, if you want to talk about IMPACT!) but that's not what I'm looking to reproduce on a daily basis. When I saw Joe Lovano's US FIVE a few weeks back, I was assigned a seat right by a drumkit and while, yes, I could feel the drums, the sound was way off-balance. There's a reason the most expensive seats at the symphony are in the middle of the orchestra and not in the front row - the sound is more balanced when you're sitting a bit farther back and can take in every instrument equally.

Anyway, we're getting way off-topic, didn't mean to derail. It was meant as a little joke.

Nov 19, 2010 at 7:40 PM Post #129 of 1,160

Quote:
I'm sorry if my joke about the timpani upset you in some way
wink_face.gif
   I actually rarely listen to classical at home.

I prefer a more balanced sound and not the front row drummer-in-your-face sound when I am listening at home. I've sat in the front of many jazz concerts myself (I once took a drumstick to the face, if you want to talk about IMPACT!) but that's not what I'm looking to reproduce on a daily basis. When I saw Joe Lovano's US FIVE a few weeks back, I was assigned a seat right by a drumkit and while, yes, I could feel the drums, the sound was way off-balance. There's a reason the most expensive seats at the symphony are in the middle of the orchestra and not in the front row - the sound is more balanced when you're sitting a bit farther back and can take in every instrument equally.

Anyway, we're getting way off-topic, didn't mean to derail. It was meant as a little joke.

No worries.  I don't like the big boombox bass either.  Don't forget to wear your safety goggles to concerts next time!  
tongue_smile.gif

Nov 19, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #130 of 1,160
I always thought if I got to see that drummer (Calvin Weston) again in a small venue, I would show up in the front row wearing safety goggles and a bicycle helmet just to give him a hard time
biggrin.gif
  He was really nice about it and came around after the show to apologize and make sure I was OK. I still have the broken drumstick I took home as a souvenir.

Nov 19, 2010 at 10:44 PM Post #131 of 1,160

Quote:
Quote:
They were out for a bit but I know for a fact that they have them in stock as I type this.

that dealers might have 'em or that Grado does. Grado told me today that they were sold out.

Quote:
wink.gif

tongue.gif

not in the head but with real deep bass you can sense it in your body and via bone conduction. cans in general, and iems in particular, cannot give you that and can sound thinner than real life or a well balanced speaker system.

Grado but they had to double check. Perhaps they had just come in.

I'm finding these to be chameleons depending on source and fit. My descriptions so far have been with the large tips and shallow but good seal and they are now doing very nice low bass but at a quantity I consider natural. Others may not. More than this often gives me an odd sense of pressure in an IEM. They now have no midbass emphasis. They are open, snappy and don't hang on used this way but for fun, I tried the medium tips again with cable up and a deeper insertion to get a seal and they are actually a little warmer than I like this way. They're pretty hard to pin down regarding a sig which I think is a compliment.

I'm in the industry and don't do portable kit but I do I have access to Grado. I've spoken to them about getting a dem pair into rotation for some of the known US headfi reviewers. Looks like a go so expect more reviews in the next months. I wouldn't have bothered if I didn't think then worth the effort. Earlier I said they reminded me of JH5s and now after a bit more run in, I think them more neutral but I wont say better from memory as I really liked the slightly warm, very fun and informative JHs. They also weren't custom fit so it's not entirely fair but I did get a good seal. I prefer them to the universals I've heard but I haven't listened to Westones, SM3s, or DBAs so all should be taken with a grain and we all don't like the same things anyway. I listen to everything, quartets to Nitzer Ebb to Patty Griffin to Oscar Peterson to Radiohead to Joni Mitchell to Iona Brown and even some Nelly. I also have access to some masters.

Nov 19, 2010 at 11:17 PM Post #132 of 1,160
This is killing me. I have to have a pair of these.

I was trying to wait a bit because I just got the LCD-2, the Stepdance and the HM602 but that's not going to happen. Come to me you beautiful little green gumdrop !

Nov 19, 2010 at 11:37 PM Post #133 of 1,160

Quote:
This is killing me. I have to have a pair of these.

I was trying to wait a bit because I just got the LCD-2, the Stepdance and the HM602 but that's not going to happen. Come to me you beautiful little green gumdrop !

I'm waiting for your impressions of the 602-->Stepdance-->LCD2 on any of your choice of threads.  
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back