GRADO GR10: Reviews, First Impressions Thread
Nov 23, 2010 at 12:04 AM Post #166 of 1,160
I never used an amp with the GR8 and never had a problem driving it or heard any clipping... I listen on the quiet side, though, so I'm not pushing it, power-wise.

The GR10 is definitely more efficient. Much louder at the same volume setting.

I'd worry more about a source than an amp with both IEMs since they are very revealing of a noisy source. They both have bothersome amounts of hiss on my laptop sound card while none of my other IEMs or headphones have had a problem with it.

Nov 23, 2010 at 2:55 AM Post #167 of 1,160
Quote:
Quote:
^ If you want something "violent" in the MA department, the FI-BA-SB are the way to go.

(@goodvibes: I know they're not proven MAs, so let's just say their armatures are moving a lot of air
wink.gif
)

LOL. Did the Finals change a lot over the first 50+ hours? May be an indicator of what's actually in there.

I remember them being more harsh and sibilant in the beginning, though it's hard to say for sure, because during the first days I usually try a lot of different tips. Yet then again the e-Q5 didn't change that much either. I'd say both sounded slightly more edgy at first and somewhat smoothed out now, but no spectacular change on either side.

Quote:
Has anyone done a GR10 --  FI-BA-SB comparison?  I can't find one and they both seem to be the same price. I wish I knew which was better.

Not yet, and btw none of them is better
wink.gif
I assume they're somehow similar and it will depend upon your personal preference which one you prefer. From what I've gathered the GR10 should be more akin to the A1, so if you prefer a more agressive sound signature the SB will probably suit you better. You'd have to put up with their somewhat stiff flat cable though.

Nov 23, 2010 at 11:50 AM Post #169 of 1,160
Woody469 - Not at all the same as ER4P/S.  If anything, GR8 to GR10 is like going from ER6i to an amped ER4S.  32ohms is pretty normal.  I have no idea why they made GR8 120 ohms.  That is puzzling to me.

GR10 is clearly better (no pun intended).  When I had GR8 and pushed the volume, they would start to struggle a bit.  An amp helped quite a bit and added some fullness to the sound.  But having said that, the GR10 unamped still seems to extend more on both ends and has better clarity overall.  I no longer have the amp so can't access GR10 amped but am not even considering getting another one.

Not sure about treble rolloff but GR10 might have more treble than any other IEM I have owned (certainly has more than my W3) except for maybe an Ety.  But it's not just about the amount an whether it rolls off, GR10 sounds so real and natural and then there's the transparency factor.  It's the whole package.

Nov 23, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #170 of 1,160
Quote:
GR10 is clearly better (no pun intended).  When I had GR8 and pushed the volume, they would start to struggle a bit.  An amp helped quite a bit and added some fullness to the sound.  But having said that, the GR10 unamped still seems to extend more on both ends and has better clarity overall.  I no longer have the amp so can't access GR10 amped but am not even considering getting another one.

it sounds like you and skylab should get together for a mini-meet. he always has several portable amps on hand but he no longer has any iems.  you're situation is the reverse. given that you're both in the chitown area, mebbe it'd be a fun and informative get together. 
etysmile.gif

Nov 23, 2010 at 4:10 PM Post #172 of 1,160

Quote:
Woody469 - Not at all the same as ER4P/S.  If anything, GR8 to GR10 is like going from ER6i to an amped ER4S.  32ohms is pretty normal.  I have no idea why they made GR8 120 ohms.  That is puzzling to me.

Not sure about treble rolloff but GR10 might have more treble than any other IEM I have owned (certainly has more than my W3) except for maybe an Ety.  But it's not just about the amount an whether it rolls off, GR10 sounds so real and natural and then there's the transparency factor.  It's the whole package.

Thanks Spyro for the clarification. Like I wrote earlier, the GR8 has been my "go to" iem since I got it, getting more air time than any other. That alone is saying alot because I've been lucky enough to have a few to pick from.. Now I'm even more excited about receiving the GR10.

Nov 23, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #173 of 1,160
Wow the GR10 improves upon the GR8 with that much more treble? Now my interested is really piqued. If only they weren't so pricey.. ughh!

Nov 24, 2010 at 10:56 AM Post #175 of 1,160

Quote:
I'm warming up to some wide mouth dual flanges I have. These are close enough to right (for me) where they take on sigs of of tip and insertion. Definitely warm but still extended with these tips.

Which wide mouth bi-flanges?  If they aren't Meelec I might have to look into them.

Nov 24, 2010 at 12:14 PM Post #176 of 1,160
The only ones that I know of are the Sennheiser biflanges, soundmagic ones and meelectronics

Nov 24, 2010 at 5:45 PM Post #177 of 1,160
The Head-Direct Big bi-flanges are good and would give more warmth to the GR10. I wouldn't use them on darker phones but they should be a good match if the GR10 has plenty of treble.

Nov 25, 2010 at 9:26 AM Post #178 of 1,160
Those look about right or these,  http://cgi.ebay.com/Double-Flange-Ear-Buds-Tips-Ultimate-Ears-Earphones-/200539062605?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item2eb10f414d. I think mine were fron a pair of Xears and probably something generic. Spyro has also tried some EUs. Mine look more like the Ebay units but it wouldn't surprise if the Head-Direct were better. The ones I tried still have plenty of top as the mouth is wider than the stock tips. They are a bit warm of neutral this way but fun and sweet. More like a JH5 but now perhaps even warmer from memory. I'm not sure the top is as good as the best multi armature BAs but I'm not sure it's not either. You don't miss info or air but it may not seem as pristine sounding. The presentation may actually be more natural and I suspect it's just a character thing. When you look at Headrooms graphs of the GR8, it actually measure lower distortion in the highs than about anything you can compare it to and all the ambient cues are there. Tips are my one bug about universals in general and may ultimately get me to customs but at least the GR10s seem close enough to neutral that you can get the sig you want unless what you want is a lot off the path. Deeper insertion warms them up and they're more neutral with better top on less. Big opening tips gets the highs back on deep insertion and allow a warmer presentation along with it. It's a generalization and results will vary by the tip used but nothing new there. The stock tips are well matched but there's always room for flavors.
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 28, 2010 at 5:15 AM Post #179 of 1,160
Just to update. I'm back to the medium stock tips and a deeper insertaion and all's good. All the air I could want and natural warm this way now that they've settled in.
normal_smile .gif
If you try these, make sure to attempt a cable up and over with a good push. I suspect Spyro and I both went with the large tips to start because it was easier to test them cable down and it requires the cable up for deeper insertion and smaller tips. If you look at the strain relief angle, it appears this is the intended method though both can work, They're very tidy and comfortable both in ear and out this way. The duals are fun but a bit over the top for me though I'm sure some will like them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back