GRADO GR10: Reviews, First Impressions Thread
Oct 20, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #1,081 of 1,160
I have been using IE 800's for the past year and yesterday decided to buy some GR 10's. So far I am very disappointed with the first impressions as they seem to be completely lacking bass. I am not a person who typically likes a bass heavy sound, however I do like to hear some thump when a drum beats. Even though I use the largest tips, I am still not getting a perfect seal in my ears, do you think this is causing my disappointment? Would just like some people who know more than me to give some advice. I am considering to return them or put them on eBay at this point. Should i order some comply tips or similar before giving up? 

Thanks!
Comply will give you perfect seal but it remains a GR10, means the accent is on mid treble, which works for some genres, as the sound of individual is natural almost like no other, but it is no IE80/800.

Oct 21, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #1,082 of 1,160
Comply will give you perfect seal but it remains a GR10, means the accent is on mid treble, which works for some genres, as the sound of individual is natural almost like no other, but it is no IE80/800.

I have ordered a pair of comply tips, just waiting on them to arrive! The more I use the Grado's the more I see how they don't sound so bad with certain songs. 

Oct 22, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #1,083 of 1,160
Hi guys! Reporting in on my experience with Spinfit tips on GR10. Excellent isolation with compromise on sound. Vocals, in particular, gets "buried in" making the earphone sound like a cellphone speaker in a mug. The stock tips are best for sound when compared to Comply's (best isolation, boosts bass, and makes for a muddier than stock sound) and Spinfit (almost the same isolation as comply, recesses vocals, most resilient tips).

Stock tips are most comfortable and just makes the GR10 disappear in use.

Nov 16, 2015 at 4:36 AM Post #1,084 of 1,160
Today started off really well;

woke up late, discovered i could not find my IEMs. after an hour of searching i thought i might have left them in the pocket of one of my vests, and so i did.
the vest in question was still wet from being washed, and my IEMs are cleaner than ever.

the left monitor sounds slightly less in volume (i expect this to better once they're dried out), but i'm happy to say that they survived a good 40 minutes at 40 degrees C, sounding still as clear as ever.

Nov 16, 2015 at 4:45 AM Post #1,085 of 1,160
  Today started off really well;

woke up late, discovered i could not find my IEMs. after an hour of searching i thought i might have left them in the pocket of one of my vests, and so i did.
the vest in question was still wet from being washed, and my IEMs are cleaner than ever.

the left monitor sounds slightly less in volume (i expect this to better once they're dried out), but i'm happy to say that they survived a good 40 minutes at 40 degrees C, sounding still as clear as ever.

Argh! A lesson to us all.

i would suggest you put them in a quite warm dry place for 24hrs, eg top of radiator, to really drive out moisture. Sooner rather than later, to minimise risk of any corrosion. Done it before with laptops to great success! Beer, tea, coffee etc :) (whole cups too!)

Nov 26, 2015 at 3:33 AM Post #1,086 of 1,160
  Argh! A lesson to us all.

i would suggest you put them in a quite warm dry place for 24hrs, eg top of radiator, to really drive out moisture. Sooner rather than later, to minimise risk of any corrosion. Done it before with laptops to great success! Beer, tea, coffee etc :) (whole cups too!)

i'm lucky we have a coffee machine with coffee beans at work. i put them in a bag of them, left them to dry in front of my laptops' exhaust (for warm air)

they work just fine now.

Nov 26, 2015 at 4:39 AM Post #1,088 of 1,160
  I'm not aware of any IEMs that change as much as Grados on run in. If you give up too early, You'll never know what you bought. New 10e actually has a bit extra bass which most prefer. I currently find the 8e more neutral if less extended. Stock tips are the way to go.

the gr10e has more bass than the original ones and indeed that makes them just so much better in the lower frequencies.

i disagree with using the stock tips, as i use mine for 12+ hours a day. for comfort i have customs. also keeps more noise out.

Nov 26, 2015 at 8:57 AM Post #1,089 of 1,160
Better is relative. It's extension vs speed in the bass. Most here prefer a bit more of something they refer to as 'decay' which is a very odd way to describe a higher Q. The GR10e has a medium high Q and the GR8e has a lowish Q. Some will prefer the bass character of the GR8e.

Obviously, customs are going to be more comfortable, LOL. I don't think anyone but you would have thought that was part of my statement. That said, of all non-custom tips, the stock ones are what I feel are both most comfortable and sonically correct for them. These are the same as the Ortofon tips and there's a reason they constantly get recommended for top universals. I obviously have no idea what your custom tips sound like. I doubt they actually help that much with noise on the GR10e because the greatest avenue of breakthrough once you have a seal as with all vented earphones, is the vent. If isolation were the goal, the GR8e would be the better choice.

It's not better than a GR10e but it's a preference thing and the GR8e is very solid and underappreciated.

As for going through the wash. Because they are vented, it's possible that the entire motor got wet. They will likely dry out and work well but I suspect they may have been compromised. I'd continue to enjoy them if I didn't notice a change.
smile.gif

Nov 26, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #1,090 of 1,160
I always tried Grado full cans! If anyone is selling his GR10's at around $200 or so, or welcomes a trade with some stuff that I may have I'd love to! Uggh I just don't get enough post counts to be authorized to post on trade forum!

Nov 27, 2015 at 3:37 AM Post #1,091 of 1,160
  I always tried Grado full cans! If anyone is selling his GR10's at around $200 or so, or welcomes a trade with some stuff that I may have I'd love to! Uggh I just don't get enough post counts to be authorized to post on trade forum!

i really suggest going for the gr10e rather than the gr10. as i said before, the gr10e is more grado than the gr10, due to lack of warmth.

Mar 9, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #1,092 of 1,160
For anyone who has wondered about custom-molded tips/cushions for GR10/8, behold:

I just picked up my Westone custom ported earplugs today,
and noticed that the removable filter nozzle looked pretty big,
just right to accept the GR10 nozzle.

You still need to go to an audiologist and shell out $150,
but your earplugs double as Grado tips.

The sound path is longer than any other tips I have
(Spinfit, Comply, random) but the depth, placement, and fit
mean no more fiddling, and I like the sound.

Just wanted to let ya'll know,

-G

Mar 29, 2016 at 1:58 AM Post #1,093 of 1,160
Looks like this threads been kinda dead but if anyone can chime in I would really appreciate it. I'm looking for an IEM for rock oriented music, but mainly punk/hardcore and these seem like they would do well with the genre. This type of music isn't always produced particularly well so bare with what I'm after in terms of sound signature: good separation but not too out of the head in terms of soundstage, good bass depth that is tight an punchy, full sounding but also decently transparent and not shouty, highs that have decent detail but are generally forgiving with low sibilance. Looking at gr10e particularly.

For reference, I find the re400 nearly perfect for this genre but just the slightest bit shouty on occasion. The tone of the re400 is also ideal.

Mar 29, 2016 at 2:10 AM Post #1,094 of 1,160
Looks like this threads been kinda dead but if anyone can chime in I would really appreciate it. I'm looking for an IEM for rock oriented music, but mainly punk/hardcore and these seem like they would do well with the genre. This type of music isn't always produced particularly well so bare with what I'm after in terms of sound signature: good separation but not too out of the head in terms of soundstage, good bass depth that is tight an punchy, full sounding but also decently transparent and not shouty, highs that have decent detail but are generally forgiving with low sibilance. Looking at gr10e particularly.

For reference, I find the re400 nearly perfect for this genre but just the slightest bit shouty on occasion. The tone of the re400 is also ideal.

Have had both gr10(non e version) and re400. I could say re400 nowhere near gr10 on every quality aspect.
Gr10 has very good separation and positioning. Lush vocal great 3d soundstage. So, I think it will good for you if you looking for an upgrade from re400

Users who are viewing this thread

Back