GRADO GR10: Reviews, First Impressions Thread
Apr 28, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #1,051 of 1,160
Something strange going on as we still waiting for the GR10e to come you would expect the still current line up becomes cheaper, that is the way things work with most brands, but not with Grado, the GR10 even cost more and went from 399 Euro to 445 Euro in Germany!? In other EU countries they seems so rare that you see prices over 600 Euro.

Apr 28, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #1,052 of 1,160
Yep, there are the odd glitches, but i LOVE this device. It's just soooo nice to get back on track again with a dedicated player. I've been slumming it for years without realising it. This is just heavenly. To have all that satisfying musicality available, in one's pocket, it's amazing. I am rediscovering old albums daily, on the go. Wonderful. Sorry, we're woefully off topic here :frowning2: - need to find the Fiio threads!

Apr 28, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #1,053 of 1,160
I am still considering which portable dac to use with my GR10. I currently use it with my iPad 4th Retina and iMac. I am interested to know if anyone has found a good dac to work with these?

I am hearing good things about the Meridian Explorer 2 portable dac that has great reviews. Plus, it is future proofed with Meridian's new MQA technology - offering studio master level music.

If you don't know about MQA see link

https://www.meridian-audio.com/products/personal-audio/explorer2/

I would welcome any feedback if this dac would be good match for the GR10 and what is the best way to connect with a iPad 4? :confused_face_2:

Apr 28, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #1,054 of 1,160
I am still considering which portable dac to use with my GR10. I currently use it with my iPad 4th Retina and iMac. I am interested to know if anyone has found a good dac to work with these?

I am hearing good things about the Meridian Explorer 2 portable dac that has great reviews. Plus, it is future proofed with Meridian's new MQA technology - offering studio master level music.

If you don't know about MQA see link

https://www.meridian-audio.com/products/personal-audio/explorer2/

I would welcome any feedback if this dac would be good match for the GR10 and what is the best way to connect with a iPad 4? :confused_face_2:

Please do realise that the lightning port can output up to 320kbit/s @ 48kHz, so "studio-grade" DACs might be a bit too much.

Apr 28, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #1,055 of 1,160
Thanks for the reply. I am planning to use the Meridian Explorer2 with both my iPad and iMac so hopefully the lightening connector may not be an issue. However, the potential of high definition streaming via MQA technology does sound appealing for listening with the GR10.

Jun 9, 2015 at 12:40 AM Post #1,056 of 1,160
I changed my filters the other day, as the original ones were getting a bit dirty and sound was getting a bit dull or seemed to be.

I noticed that the replacements from the original packaging were much less dense, almost like a "web" rather than a sponge, or pad. Anyhow, I fitted the replacements and wow, what a difference. Clarity MUCH improved, and oddly, perhaps, the midrange is even more prominent with no real increase in treble.

Needs a little more "braintime" to adjust, but the sound is even more enticing than ever.

So... my advise is to check your filters! Makes a big difference to sound.

Jul 5, 2015 at 5:37 AM Post #1,057 of 1,160
I bought the Cayin N6 DAP a month or so ago and was using RHA MA750s in-ears with it. I already really, really liked the detailed sound of the N6, and was happy(ish) with the 750s but the combination was sometimes a little too bright for my tastes. Anyway, I just bought a pair of used Grado GR10s (not the Es) on EBay as the price seemed fair, and having never heard any Grados I was curious what the 'house sound' was like, and would be like in combo with the N6. Well, colour me hugely impressed. As they used to say on Friends 'Oh.My.God'. It's just so 'musical'. I knew/expected there'd be a leap in quality, but I wasn't expecting this much. Other folk here could perhaps describe things more technically, but in layman's terms the biggest difference to me is the way instruments just sound more 'musical': drums especially sound more like drums than sounds being made by someone hitting something! I know it's a cliche, but I really am hearing details on tracks I've listened to (literally) hundreds and hundreds of times before (eg The Cure 'Prayers for Rain'). Clear as a bell, no harsh treble, 'relaxing' in the best sense of the word, endless decay of notes fading into a black background, everything just seems to flow perfectly. Yes, there's the usual considerations about getting 'best fit', but seriously these things are absolutely beautiful to listen to.

I suppose I'd better look at selling the house and try for the GS1000e now I know what I've been missing (or at least perhaps the GR10es if there's much of a difference)...
wink_face.gif

Jul 5, 2015 at 7:46 AM Post #1,058 of 1,160
  I bought the Cayin N6 DAP a month or so ago and was using RHA MA750s in-ears with it. I already really, really liked the detailed sound of the N6, and was happy(ish) with the 750s but the combination was sometimes a little too bright for my tastes. Anyway, I just bought a pair of used Grado GR10s (not the Es) on EBay as the price seemed fair, and having never heard any Grados I was curious what the 'house sound' was like, and would be like in combo with the N6. Well, colour me hugely impressed. As they used to say on Friends 'Oh.My.God'. It's just so 'musical'. I knew/expected there'd be a leap in quality, but I wasn't expecting this much. Other folk here could perhaps describe things more technically, but in layman's terms the biggest difference to me is the way instruments just sound more 'musical': drums especially sound more like drums than sounds being made by someone hitting something! I know it's a cliche, but I really am hearing details on tracks I've listened to (literally) hundreds and hundreds of times before (eg The Cure 'Prayers for Rain'). Clear as a bell, no harsh treble, 'relaxing' in the best sense of the word, endless decay of notes fading into a black background, everything just seems to flow perfectly. Yes, there's the usual considerations about getting 'best fit', but seriously these things are absolutely beautiful to listen to.

I suppose I'd better look at selling the house and try for the GS1000e now I know what I've been missing (or at least perhaps the GR10es if there's much of a difference)...
wink_face.gif

Great stuff. I'm still discovering musical intricacies with these things several months in. My overall feeling is one of lightness and air, yet very dynamic and balanced when listening to good recordings; I am running them with a Fiio X3ii and E12 amp which I love. The effortless power and control you get with the E12 is superb. Love these IEMs to bits. And they're very light and discrete, a real "sleeper". 

One thing I have noticed is that, as I re-listen to my entire flac and iso catalogue, previously well worn albums take on new life; instruments pop out, sub.rhythms become apparent, etc. A new musical journey for old material.

As a result, I'm not obsessing so much about having ALL my music with me to dip into, or what to listen to specifically. Am simply working through albums and enjoying probably 90% of them at least or more with fresh ears.

Jul 5, 2015 at 8:04 AM Post #1,059 of 1,160
  Great stuff. I'm still discovering musical intricacies with these things several months in. My overall feeling is one of lightness and air, yet very dynamic and balanced when listening to good recordings; I am running them with a Fiio X3ii and E12 amp which I love. The effortless power and control you get with the E12 is superb. Love these IEMs to bits. And they're very light and discrete, a real "sleeper". 

One thing I have noticed is that, as I re-listen to my entire flac and iso catalogue, previously well worn albums take on new life; instruments pop out, sub.rhythms become apparent, etc. A new musical journey for old material.

As a result, I'm not obsessing so much about having ALL my music with me to dip into, or what to listen to specifically. Am simply working through albums and enjoying probably 90% of them at least or more with fresh ears.

Couldn't have put it better. What I'm particularly discovering is a new sense of timing in old albums I thought I knew inside out. This may not make sense, but you know the sporting cliche that a really great footballer seems to have more time on the ball than a more average player, the same seems to be true of the Grados: clearly they don't change the way time passes (though time passes very enjoyably!) but there's a sense of the Grados being able to control and handle the notes they're given more ably and with more fluidity than 'less good' iems. I'm seriously very impressed.

Jul 5, 2015 at 9:17 AM Post #1,060 of 1,160
Incidentally, what was the final thoughts on manufacture date/version of vented vs unvented GR10s? Mine (used pair off eBay, had them a day etc) have the silver collars but have the little vents. Just curious (and even happier if these are 'newer' versions despite the lettering being completely rubbed off the left capsule (as per the seller's description incidentally) )

Jul 5, 2015 at 2:08 PM Post #1,061 of 1,160

Couldn't have put it better. What I'm particularly discovering is a new sense of timing in old albums I thought I knew inside out. This may not make sense, but you know the sporting cliche that a really great footballer seems to have more time on the ball than a more average player, the same seems to be true of the Grados: clearly they don't change the way time passes (though time passes very enjoyably!) but there's a sense of the Grados being able to control and handle the notes they're given more ably and with more fluidity than 'less good' iems. I'm seriously very impressed.

Odd you should say that. I hadn't really thought of it as "timing" but you're right, and I had never put much emphasis on it's importance. I usually gauge hifi in simple terms; either I am drawn into the music and really get involved OR i switch off and start thinking about rubbish like paying bills or shopping or other mundane crap. The former definitely applies to my current setup :)

I was listening, as an example, to an old Ozric Tentacles album (Erpland 1990) and the drumming of the 1st track just gave me goose bumps; never has before!

I just want to listen to more and more stuff!!

Sep 4, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #1,064 of 1,160
  Guys try using your gr10's cable down, they become more awesome (more out of your head experience) albeit worse isolation. Excellent for home use!

I go for both "up" and "down" depending on situation; And I refer to "up" as being deeper insertion also, not just position of cable

Pros "down"

Physically more comfortable, unfatiguing
Perhaps more articulate, airier sound.
Less fussy to ultimate positioning

Cons "down"

Less bass
Less isolation
Looser fit, more prone to dislodging with any movement

Pros "up"

More presence and impact
More bass
Secure fit
Better isolation

Cons "up"

More uncomfortable
More prone to imbalanced sound, more fussy to get "right"
Not as pleasant overall sound depending on material

So in a nutshell... you are right, the down option is good for home or quiet surroundings use! :)

Sep 6, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #1,065 of 1,160
GR10 is a great IEM.  Fit aside, the sound is fabulous in that $400 range.  Sort of mid centric but exceptional detail and a real floating euphoric sound presentation which is hard to describe.....I think it is a "Grado" thing they somehow achieved with an IEM.  Somewhat similar sound sig to SE535 but I give it a much farther thumbs up versus SE535.   And they are basically same price.  SE535 is fatiguing where GR10 you could listen all day.  That floating airy presentation is it's unique characteristic that makes it worth every penny.  Nothing else out there does that I that price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back