GRADO GR10: Reviews, First Impressions Thread
Mar 29, 2016 at 12:03 PM Post #1,097 of 1,160
Just imagine that the original GR10 is a more emotionally engaging version of re400. Really, really excellent for vocals and strings. The e version gives up some of the mellowness but gives in return fast engaging sound, which go really well with the rock medians (no hardcore stuff). The sound stage is quite intimate with instruments permeating form your head. Synthesized instruments and trip hop songs' sounds pop around your head with separation and realness. All praises!

The only downside, I think, is the tendency of the gr10/e to be congested with overly complex and speedy music (hardcore rock or detailed orchestra music) due to its sound stage. Other than that, you have to go to high end customs to get more out of your music.

Mar 29, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #1,098 of 1,160
Thanks for the detailed response. I don't think I will have a problem with the intimate soundstage as long as it's not smaller than re400, which I actually find to have pretty good width, even a little less wide than that wouldn't be a problem I don't think. How is sibilance compared to the 400? I'm a bit sensitive to it and if there is any more than the 400 that might be an issue. Also, is it as forward as the 400, I assume the linear response up until about 2khz on the 400 accounts for it being shouty in lower mids. And does the gr10e have stronger treble than gr10 or is it just the bass? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get as much info as I can.

Mar 29, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #1,099 of 1,160
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aLohORpsxY8

Here is a song for reference. This album, along with a couple others in my collection are produced with vocals slightly forwarded so it is more likely for them to be shouty. Ideally I would like an earphone that is intimate but not shouty, weighty(or just not thin) but with good separation, decent treble that isn't too bright with little to no sibilance but still clear,and good bass depth that is tight but also not lacking in quantity.

Mar 29, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #1,101 of 1,160
For recordings that emphasize crash and ride cymbals and higher notes of strings esp. violins you will get sibilance as volume increases. Surprisingly, it still sounds correct (if you play instruments, you'll get it).

I don't really give much notice to sound stage. GR10/e has proportionate one not unlike others that give to much space but fails to fill it. And as I've said, the vocals is centered in your head with instruments permeating form there, like a singer.

Having owned both e and non e version, the perceived increase of bass of e version will pull your attention. "The e version gives up some of the mellowness but gives in return fast engaging sound," bass driven tracks give a more "uhmp" but still retains much of the mellowness. AFAICT, there is no unnatural drop off on the treble region.

The summary of GR10 is that aside of the lowest of the lows and the highest of the highs, everything is magic to me. Also, YMMV so give them a live audition, the broken in ones.

Mar 29, 2016 at 1:37 PM Post #1,102 of 1,160
For recordings that emphasize crash and ride cymbals and higher notes of strings esp. violins you will get sibilance as volume increases. Surprisingly, it still sounds correct (if you play instruments, you'll get it).

I don't really give much notice to sound stage. GR10/e has proportionate one not unlike others that give to much space but fails to fill it. And as I've said, the vocals is centered in your head with instruments permeating form there, like a singer.

Having owned both e and non e version, the perceived increase of bass of e version will pull your attention. "The e version gives up some of the mellowness but gives in return fast engaging sound," bass driven tracks give a more "uhmp" but still retains much of the mellowness. AFAICT, there is no unnatural drop off on the treble region.

The summary of GR10 is that aside of the lowest of the lows and the highest of the highs, everything is magic to me. Also, YMMV so give them a live audition, the broken in ones.

Mar 29, 2016 at 1:41 PM Post #1,103 of 1,160
I agree on the the fact that the Grado's sounds very natural but they are also sensitive for bad produced recordings. Reading all back I guess you will be better of with a Sennheiser IE80. They are easy with seventies rock recordings and have enough bass and soundstage to get exited with all kinds of rock music.

Mar 29, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #1,105 of 1,160
Hmm I can't really audition them but maybe I'll pick up a used gr10 if I find one at a good price just to get a feel for the presentation. Haven't read much on the Sennheisers, probably cuz I was turned off by the form factor but I'll look more into it. Thanks.

Mar 30, 2016 at 4:40 PM Post #1,110 of 1,160
I think it was how the song was recorded, but the vocals gets buried under the guitars with the drums keeping beat nicely. If all your music sounds like this, you won't get shout-y vocals. Pretty much every rock songs of all genres that I know doesn't highlight vocals except maybe those guttural sounds, but those will sound more inline with the bass and sound more throaty(?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back