GRADO GR10: Reviews, First Impressions Thread
Apr 18, 2019 at 2:25 AM Post #1,141 of 1,160
Boy these really pack a huge sound. Just received them BNIB for an absolute steal in Japan Auctions. Initial impressions: I’m getting hints of the quick decay and low end of R70X a little mellowness of HD600, addicting mids of Ath-w1000x & probably the character of accentuated high mids of ATH headphones. The bass and low mids are wonderfully textured and good thing it’s not over enhanced. It’s lively and driving as a result.

Never get this kind of vocal character from any of the iems in my collection perhaps the closest being Ath-ck10s yet the Gr10e mids are less dry, more bassy and engaging in comparison. Also has a larger soundstage than Sony EX1000s. These still rock in 2019 !!:L3000:

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #1,143 of 1,160
Just got these. And they are my first pair of new iems is years. I had a very old pair of ER4Ss and a pair of ER4Ps, which were the ones I use the most.

I think the Grados come with medium tips attached. My first impression was terrible before I realized it must be seal issues, so I switched tips. Made a world of difference. I'm surprised because I'm usually fine with medium tips. Maybe bc these originate in Japan?

Jul 14, 2020 at 1:37 PM Post #1,145 of 1,160
I've just received, for a reduced price, a new pair of gr10e in exchange for my gr10v2 that i had for years and that i accidentally broke the cable a few weeks ago. I was expecting that the gr10e and gr10v2 were the same based on many reviews and posts over the internet...But they're not! They are very different...The 2020 gr10e version has much more bass than the gr10v2. Im waiting to know how they will sound after the burn in period. I hope they reach the same level of detail and crisp sound and that Grado did not sacrifice any of that in favor of the lower frequencies...

Jul 14, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #1,146 of 1,160
I've just received, for a reduced price, a new pair of gr10e in exchange for my gr10v2 that i had for years and that i accidentally broke the cable a few weeks ago. I was expecting that the gr10e and gr10v2 were the same based on many reviews and posts over the internet...But they're not! They are very different...The 2020 gr10e version has much more bass than the gr10v2. Im waiting to know how they will sound after the burn in period. I hope they reach the same level of detail and crisp sound and that Grado did not sacrifice any of that in favor of the lower frequencies...
As someone who owned all 3 versions I've got to say that v3 (copper ring) does have better bass response at the cost of some of its gorgeous mids but the highs should be untouched. Still, I prefer the v1 for that luscious mids.

Jul 14, 2020 at 4:16 PM Post #1,147 of 1,160
my GR10e's are fully burned in and I find the sound amazingly good! If you have a good sounding system, they should sound great, really musical, coherent, smooth and detailed. According to all of the reviews I've read they are a considerable upgrade over your old ones... if you like the Grado sound you will be really happy with them! I also have the SR225e and GS1000i, although the GS have better soundstage the musicality is similar in my opinion, which is top notch IMHO! They are also better sounding than the SR225e, which is my most frequently used Grado out of the three.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2020 at 4:50 PM Post #1,148 of 1,160
As someone who owned all 3 versions I've got to say that v3 (copper ring) does have better bass response at the cost of some of its gorgeous mids but the highs should be untouched. Still, I prefer the v1 for that luscious mids.
I never heard the version 1. But v3 it seems more v shaped sound than the v2. Until now i think i prefer the v2 and its mids. The v3 sounds great but not so amazing like the v2 with chord mojo. They seem more vulgar compared to v2. How do you compare v1 to v2?
I have the ps500e and wich i consider them great but those v2 had something special...

Jul 14, 2020 at 5:06 PM Post #1,149 of 1,160
I never heard the version 1. But v3 it seems more v shaped sound than the v2. Until now i think i prefer the v2 and its mids. The v3 sounds great but not so amazing like the v2 with chord mojo. They seem more vulgar compared to v2. How do you compare v1 to v2?
I have the ps500e and wich i consider them great but those v2 had something special...
If you've heard the original Noble 4C, the original GR10 mids is comparable to that. Or think of the V2 but with less sub to mid bass and a bit more sparkle up top. Lana del Rey and the GR10 v1 are a match made in heaven even with, my then, iBasso DX50. I am now pairing them with iBasso MAX, and my god, it's perfect!
107521184_710929302972600_2827091749436920462_n.jpg

Jul 14, 2020 at 5:37 PM Post #1,150 of 1,160
Just think of it this way: if you NEED ultra sultry vocals, with those gravelly undertones, that just seduces you, whispering sweet promises to your ears, the original GR10 is, to me, the pinnacle. That includes all the Audezes, Focals, Vision Ears etc. It is the vocals king. The closest would be the VE5 but at a premium. Even with podcasts and audiobooks, the GR10 performs.

The v2 and v3 sacrifices a bit of mids, increasingly, to make for a more well-rounded earphone, which I think, is a departure of the intended signature. The GR10 is my beloved one trick pony.

Jul 16, 2020 at 7:57 AM Post #1,151 of 1,160
Been listening for 1-2 hours since received this morning.....

Pretty remarkable IEM. The first words out of my mouth to describe would be incredibly detailed, transparent, balanced and natural sounding.

It is a different animal in that it has this airiness where all the harmonics just float throughout your head. It is very pleasureable and almost intoxicating. While I wouldn't necessarily say it has a huge soundstage, this airy space around all of the instruments creates plenty of "room". GR8 has it too and it seems unique to the Grado's and I have not heard it from any Ety, Westone or Shure product. It would seem quite obvious Grado was seeking out this kind of sound and certainly achieved it.

This GR10 is the most naturally sounding detailed IEM I have ever heard. It does indeed have a good 15-20% more treble detail than the GR8 and is also amazingly transparent. You really "see into" the music. Because of this it will pick up flaws in a recording but this hyper-detail does not seem harsh or grainy much at all....it is very smooth. I have not heard the REO's or e-Q7 but it is certainly Ety level detail in every regard but sounds much better due to the airiness of the harmonics and a bit more bass. It is not cold or sterile as some use to describe Ety's. Quite the opposite.

As far as efficiency, while the ohms changed from 120 to 32 (from GR8), I would only consider the GR10 slightly more efficient that GR8. I'm sure an amp would make it sound even better but it does not require one. Also, I am only detecting slightly more bass than GR8 (5-10%?). I think Grado was consciously careful of this not to create too much bass to throw the balance off and I think most IEM's out there are aiming for a funner sound which usually includes more bass, perhaps too much to claim balanced perfection no matter how many drivers. It would not be a stretch to say GR10 is approaching harmonic perfection in an IEM. The biggest change from GR8 seems to be more treble, a slightly fuller sound and more overall clarity. Again, to have such transparency and detail while still retaining such smoothness is remarkable IMHO.

In summary, If you liked GR8 you will certainly like GR10. Is it worth $400? On one hand I would say not because of lack of accesories, case, etc. On the other hand, I think it is a very different beast and this Grado (what seems to be becoming an IEM trademark with them) airiness and loft to the harmonics seems unique among all IEM's. It is no copycat of anything so in that regard, they can charge what they want. I would guess Grado knows exactly what they have with this product. Knows it won't sell a ton of them because so many want a BIGGER sound, but they also know they accomplished the precise sound they wanted. The GR10 is almost a reminder of what music should sound like or use to sound like from the analog days. It sounds as good as any other $400 IEM I have heard, just different (and unique). It could be the most naturally balanced among any IEM out there. I think a good percentage of listeners out there prefer a larger robust sort of sound presentation and those people may not think all that much of GR10 (at $400). But for those that are seeking harmonic perfection, loads of detail but balanced and natural...there may not be another IEM out there that does it as well.

I can't really say if I prefer it over SE535 and W3 yet because it is such a different beast and it is too new. I will try to judge that after many more days of listening and will provide more thoughts in general on the GR10.
I have these and totally agree with your summary - spot on! I too find the clarity and detail astounding.

Jul 18, 2020 at 11:50 PM Post #1,152 of 1,160
Just think of it this way: if you NEED ultra sultry vocals, with those gravelly undertones, that just seduces you, whispering sweet promises to your ears, the original GR10 is, to me, the pinnacle. That includes all the Audezes, Focals, Vision Ears etc. It is the vocals king. The closest would be the VE5 but at a premium. Even with podcasts and audiobooks, the GR10 performs.

The v2 and v3 sacrifices a bit of mids, increasingly, to make for a more well-rounded earphone, which I think, is a departure of the intended signature. The GR10 is my beloved one trick pony.

As the first five of the fifty hours of burn in passed, the sound is getting better. Although I find these gr10e more fatiguing I didn't found out exactly why... Do you have the same experience?

I also noticed that I have to increase the volume a little more on the player(Sony NWZX300 when not using Chord Mojo) to have the same volume of sound as the gr10v2...
I like the GR10e's very much but I miss the non fatiguing and amazing mids of the V2 version. Im only waiting the 50 hours of burn in to confirm that I will have to buy another pair of the V2 again...

Jul 19, 2020 at 7:03 AM Post #1,153 of 1,160

I have the original GR10s (silver white) too but didn't know there were two other versions! Are you classing the GR10e (copper) as v2? If so, what is v3 and is there a colour difference?
Thanks.
15951565514556231425022670540293.jpg

Jul 19, 2020 at 8:33 AM Post #1,154 of 1,160
As the first five of the fifty hours of burn in passed, the sound is getting better. Although I find these gr10e more fatiguing I didn't found out exactly why... Do you have the same experience?

I also noticed that I have to increase the volume a little more on the player(Sony NWZX300 when not using Chord Mojo) to have the same volume of sound as the gr10v2...
I like the GR10e's very much but I miss the non fatiguing and amazing mids of the V2 version. Im only waiting the 50 hours of burn in to confirm that I will have to buy another pair of the V2 again...
If you have the gr10e now, you've probably bumped up the volume to get the same mids as the V2s, which will in turn pump up the highs at the same volume level since the gr10e's a more v-shape.

To me, when I compare the different versions to each other: v1 is mid-forward, v2 is relatively flat, v3(e) is relatively v-shape signature.

The difference is not that much but if you listen to them extensively and are familiar with each versions very well and do a side-by-side comparison, you'll notice them. You just have to establish your sound preferences. That's why I've held onto my v1's.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back