Grado Fan Club!
Oct 14, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #9,872 of 65,605
I need finding new head amp for Grado ps500. listen to every thing from BIG to Beethoven. under 500

Articulate low base is a must!

No boom boom though.

Already have a Fubar 4 with no mods. Seems to be lacking in the low side reinforcement. I can use this for dac and invest more in the amp or am still open to an amp/ dac combo.

I recently purchased a Parasound Zdac. the Highs and mids are wonderfully accurate but when the base tries to kick in its more like a kitty than a lion. it almost seems to be distorted on the low side. And its not even close to half way up.

Recommendations ?

Any one else use the Zdac with the ps500?

Oct 14, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #9,873 of 65,605
  I need finding new head amp for Grado ps500. listen to every thing from BIG to Beethoven. under 500

Articulate low base is a must!

No boom boom though.

Already have a Fubar 4 with no mods. Seems to be lacking in the low side reinforcement. I can use this for dac and invest more in the amp or am still open to an amp/ dac combo.

I recently purchased a Parasound Zdac. the Highs and mids are wonderfully accurate but when the base tries to kick in its more like a kitty than a lion. it almost seems to be distorted on the low side. And its not even close to half way up.

Recommendations ?

Any one else use the Zdac with the ps500?

The Little Dot 1+ is a popular amp around here. Especially because you can change the op-amps and roll the tubes to your sound preference. I own one and its really a nice inexpensive amp. I also own Shiit Magni/Modi combo, which I also think sounds nice for an inexpensive amp/dac. The Shiit Asguard/Bitfrost is also a popular amp/dac around here also, which is closer to your price of $500
I've never head the amp you own, so I don't know if these are a step up or down for you, just some recommendations, some from my experience and from others opinions.

Oct 14, 2013 at 6:44 PM Post #9,874 of 65,605
  The Little Dot 1+ is a popular amp around here. Especially because you can change the op-amps and roll the tubes to your sound preference. I own one and its really a nice inexpensive amp. I also own Shiit Magni/Modi combo, which I also think sounds nice for an inexpensive amp/dac. The Shiit Asguard/Bitfrost is also a popular amp/dac around here also, which is closer to your price of $500
I've never head the amp you own, so I don't know if these are a step up or down for you, just some recommendations, some from my experience and from others opinions.

joseph's suggestions are good, i'll add the schiit lyr in to the list too, i have it, its great with the 500, i have had the little dot 1+ before and loved it, the lyr does have better control of the bass, but the flexibility of the little dot does allow for more experimentation .
the lyr is under $500 new, you should be able to find one used for under $400
so, you currently have the zdac ?? if so, use it as your dac, and i'd go with the lyr , as i said, it does have lower and better controlled bass, not the the little dot is lacking, i just feel the lyr is better.

Oct 14, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #9,875 of 65,605
from tone audio mag's review of the rs1i:
"They may not appeal
 to those who crave the see-
 through transparency of the
 $1,000 Audeze LCD-2s, but
 there is something inherently
 special about the RS1i phones
 that makes them a solid bet
 for the long haul."

second that emotion !

Oct 14, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #9,876 of 65,605
The light still isn't ideal - but here is the new addition .....

Oct 14, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #9,877 of 65,605
love the button look !

Oct 15, 2013 at 1:33 AM Post #9,878 of 65,605

congrats! 
I also love the old Rs1 with buttons! if you get a chance(if you haven't already), I recommend trying out these old Grados with some TTVJ Flat pads, they smooth out the highs and generally brought some much needed balanced to my old Rs1.

Oct 15, 2013 at 2:01 AM Post #9,879 of 65,605
  congrats! 
I also love the old Rs1 with buttons! if you get a chance(if you haven't already), I recommend trying out these old Grados with some TTVJ Flat pads, they smooth out the highs and generally brought some much needed balanced to my old Rs1.

At the moment I can't imagine wanting to have any more bass with these RS1's - they sound pretty much perfect.  I had the TTVJ flats with my old woodied 325i's - so I know the sort of change they make. Loving the balance - and the texture and timbre are just stunning.

Oct 15, 2013 at 2:08 AM Post #9,880 of 65,605

At the moment I can't imagine wanting to have any more bass with these RS1's - they sound pretty much perfect.  I had the TTVJ flats with my old woodied 325i's - so I know the sort of change they make. Loving the balance - and the texture and timbre are just stunning.

Beautiful!  It sounds like you scored a nice unit.  These upper models from Grado RS1 and RS1i, are actually a pretty good value at their cost.  If you were to spend more to go up to additional models, the sound would improve to a marginal degree.  However, you're wallet would feel like it was on fire since you'd be making a hefty investment.  Enjoy!

Oct 15, 2013 at 2:33 AM Post #9,881 of 65,605
Thanks Wayne

I'm actually really surprised with the tonality.  i guess i was expecting something a little brighter.  To me, there are really smooth - and so articulate.  Should have jumped some time ago - but these were definitely worth the wait!

Oct 15, 2013 at 2:47 AM Post #9,882 of 65,605

No need to mess with a good thing then!
beerchug.gif

...I guess i'm back on the prowl for either an Rs1, or maybe Gs1000 which I've never heard before. Also considering a Beyer T1. Anybody have any comments as to these other two headphones? I'd appreciate it!

Oct 15, 2013 at 4:19 AM Post #9,883 of 65,605
  No need to mess with a good thing then!
beerchug.gif

...I guess i'm back on the prowl for either an Rs1, or maybe Gs1000 which I've never heard before. Also considering a Beyer T1. Anybody have any comments as to these other two headphones? I'd appreciate it!

The GS1000 (not the "i" model) that I had, was nothing short of amazing.  I didn't play classical music through it, but plenty of jazz.  This original GS1000 was supposed to have a larger sound stage than the GS-1000i model.  I had never read this until I sold the GS-1000.  However, after seeing those comments by a few members, I can attest that the soundstage is really, really wide.   Its tone is somewhat light in the bass region, but it's not anemic when it comes to bass either.  I think I'd prefer the standard GS-1000 over the newer "i" because the sound stage on the newer model is not as wide.  Also, from what I've read, I'd most likely prefer the GS-1000 over the PS-1000, too.  I've taken in a few comments that the PS-1000 with the aluminum cups can be a bit heavy (keeping in mind that the cups in the mushroom form, are larger than those used in the PS-500.)  Also, other comment's I've heard were that it might have a bit more upper end "tizz" than I'd care for.  I really need to hear the PS-1000 so I can apply and capture some opinions of my own, though, instead of sharing my readings on that model.

You can find a GS-1000 in the $600 range.  I think the last one I saw, didn't have the original box, which might have meant that it was missing the 15' Grado extension cable and the 1/4" to 3.5mm adapter, too.  I guess I feel for a headphone in that league (it was their flagship until the PS-1000 came along), I'd expect the factory box and accessories with it, too.

Oct 15, 2013 at 6:24 AM Post #9,884 of 65,605

Congrats, what a beautiful set of cans, and with sound that is even better than the beauty!

Enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back