Grado Fan Club!
Oct 15, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #9,886 of 65,639
  Thanks Wayne

I'm actually really surprised with the tonality.  i guess i was expecting something a little brighter.  To me, there are really smooth - and so articulate.  Should have jumped some time ago - but these were definitely worth the wait!

gs1000.gif

Oct 15, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #9,887 of 65,639
  Thanks Wayne

I'm actually really surprised with the tonality.  i guess i was expecting something a little brighter.  To me, there are really smooth - and so articulate.  Should have jumped some time ago - but these were definitely worth the wait!

Exactly.  In most of life's situations, good things do come to those who wait.

Oct 15, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #9,888 of 65,639
For some reason I can't use the quote function with my laptop, but this post is in response to wje's.

I have the non ''i'' version of the GS1000, and as I have said before, I think that they have THE widest soundstage of any headphones that Grado has ever made. But, they're is a price to pay for that big soundstage, and it's resessed mids, John Grados once said. you can't have a big soundstage and midrange proximity. Regarding their bass extension, I find it adequate, in fact, In my opinion, the only Grados currently produced that have more bass extension, are the PS500, GS1000i and the PS1000. As for treble, it is very extended and can be a little overbearing with some brighter recordings.

In the end, I think that it's always a question of synergy, that's why I always take other peoples opinion with a grain of salt, and I invite them to do the same with mine, they're are simply too many variables, (different hearing, sound systems, recordings, tastes                                                                           ), to pull any definitive conclusions about headphones or any other components.

Oct 15, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #9,889 of 65,639
not exactly a grado question, but some of you guys may have iphones or ipods
my stepson(16) has a iphone 4, and uses it as his mp3 player, listening to either his earbuds
or headphones straight out of the phone.
since we are giving hime some akg550's (that i'm trading my ms2's) for christmas, i was thinking
we might also include a portable, and cheap headphone amp too,
i want something cheap, but decent, and portable, battery powered
price under a $100
just some ideas i've come up with, are one of those little mint tin jobs, ,
or a fiio e07k, which i'm kinda leaning toward because he could also
use it as a dac/amp combo with his computer
or as portable amp for his phone, how do those sound, and does anyone
have any other suggestions ??

Oct 15, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #9,891 of 65,639
JDS cMoyBB would be a fun one for him to have. It has the bass boost, too. (start at $59 and go up to $80)

Oct 15, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #9,892 of 65,639
Oct 15, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #9,893 of 65,639
my stepson(16) has a iphone 4, and uses it as his mp3 player, listening to either his earbuds
since we are giving hime some akg550's (that i'm trading my ms2's) for christmas, i was thinking
price under a $100
have any other suggestions ??

This little fellow works pretty good....cost me $50

Oct 15, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #9,895 of 65,639
price under a $100
have any other suggestions ?

Jay - why bother with an amp?  The K550 were actually designed by AKG with portable devices in mind.  They're 32 ohm and have a sensitivity of 114 dB SPL/V (highly sensitive). The iPhone4 has a very low headphone-out impedance - and is essentially very flat.  They're made for each other!  No amp required.  If you want to spend more - give him some music vouchers (I know my kids would appreciate the cans + music more than the cans + amp - especially if any difference is likely to be "nominal" to say the least ....)

Oct 15, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #9,896 of 65,639
Jay - why bother with an amp?  The K550 were actually designed by AKG with portable devices in mind.  They're 32 ohm and have a sensitivity of 114 dB SPL/V (highly sensitive). The iPhone4 has a very low headphone-out impedance - and is essentially very flat.  They're made for each other!  No amp required.  If you want to spend more - give him some music vouchers (I know my kids would appreciate the cans + music more than the cans + amp - especially if any difference is likely to be "nominal" to say the least ....)

I was expecting the K550 can be Ashly driven by any device but it don't seem like a case! With iPhone, yes. However, my iNano 3 can't at all :frowning2:

Oct 15, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #9,897 of 65,639
thanks for all the input guys !!
i really hadn't considered that the 550 really don't "need" to be amped, so thanks for that info brooko
i think we do want to get him a little something else(other family does give hime some $$$)
the cmoy in the tins have the cool factor
but, the fiio he could use with his computer and take advantage of the dac, and i've had an e10, and e09k
i'm a fan of fiio , they make great stuff
either way at least i know i'm on the right track!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back