Grado Fan Club!
Oct 17, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #9,916 of 65,605
For the past 5 years I've been dying to see what all the fuss is about grados. In that time I've owned sennheiser 202,280,419 and the 555; Audio Technica ad700, Denon 2000's and a bunch of others. I picked up a pair of SR80i last night and been listening to them. 2 things jumped out at me. In person they look a lot bigger and kind of toyish. After listening for 2 hours they started to hurt so I decided to try the L-cushion. Slightly clearer but less comfortable. The thing I don't understand is the "consensus" that grado are bad for dubstep and classical. Those were the 2 genres I tried first and both sounded really good. Classical music sounded like you were front row (which I guess a lot of people may not like?) and dubstep sounds really good. With dubstep it sounded like the bass was heavy and you could still hear the other non-bass sounds prominently. I really am loving the sound but absolutely hating the comfort. I really want to keep these as "stock" looking as possible while improving the comfort. Any ideas? I was thinking about possibly taking the foam that the headphones came in and cutting them down into earpad size and then wrapping them in black velour. 

Oct 17, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #9,917 of 65,605
For the past 5 years I've been dying to see what all the fuss is about grados. In that time I've owned sennheiser 202,280,419 and the 555; Audio Technica ad700, Denon 2000's and a bunch of others. I picked up a pair of SR80i last night and been listening to them. 2 things jumped out at me. In person they look a lot bigger and kind of toyish. After listening for 2 hours they started to hurt so I decided to try the L-cushion. Slightly clearer but less comfortable. The thing I don't understand is the "consensus" that grado are bad for dubstep and classical. Those were the 2 genres I tried first and both sounded really good. Classical music sounded like you were front row (which I guess a lot of people may not like?) and dubstep sounds really good. With dubstep it sounded like the bass was heavy and you could still hear the other non-bass sounds prominently. I really am loving the sound but absolutely hating the comfort. I really want to keep these as "stock" looking as possible while improving the comfort. Any ideas? I was thinking about possibly taking the foam that the headphones came in and cutting them down into earpad size and then wrapping them in black velour. 

you might want to try the G-cush bowls. the extra spacing from the driver make the soundstage and bass more prominent. theres also the tape mod that i hear improves bass response

Oct 17, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #9,918 of 65,605

You could stretch the headband. It will lessen the clamp. Really improved comfort for me. No more sore ears.

Oct 17, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #9,919 of 65,605
you might want to try the G-cush bowls. the extra spacing from the driver make the soundstage and bass more prominent. theres also the tape mod that i hear improves bass response

Um - not in my experience with the lower end grados.  G-cush will increase comfort and sound stage - but bass diminishes, mids can sometimes get sucked out a little and the highs get hotter (tizzier).

@Folex - look up the 'sock mod' - it might help the comfort without killing the sound too much.  Other than that gently wash the pads with a fabric softener.  Thoroughly dry and try them on.

Also look at bending the headband out slightly to loosen the grip.

Oct 17, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #9,920 of 65,605
I may have stumbled onto something that both sounds good and comfortable. Sennheiser 555 pads and weather sealer tape. The only downside I am seeing now is the bass is almost too strong. The sennheiser 555 pads clip right on and I put the tape around the driver so that its padded too. The top of the 555 pads are touching right under my temple and the bottom part of the 555's aren't touching anything. Reminds me a little of the Sony MDR-MA900's.

Oct 17, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #9,921 of 65,605
  You could stretch the headband. It will lessen the clamp. Really improved comfort for me. No more sore ears.

right on!   this was a night and day difference with mine.  Grado's do not need clamp, at all.  Just enough pressure to stay on the ears.

I recommend not trying to bend from the center, but gently bend a bit on the sides.  this took me from hating them to like them, and eventually loving them.

Oct 17, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #9,922 of 65,605
Instead of bending the band (which is made from a spring metal), grab the band from right (above) the rod blocks on each side (not on them), then pull the band evenly and slowly into a straight line. Each time you do this (which will be several times), they will be more and more comfotable. I literally pulled my band a little at a time into a to a horizontal shape and hold it like that for about 15-20 seconds each time I do this, (DON'T KILL IT), be gentle. The end result is the cushions are now just laying over your ears with no pressure. Don't forget it's a spring metal, so this will have to be done whenever you start to feel the band returning to it original shape, but keep doing this and eventually the spring metal will stay the shape you want it to. All of my Grado headbands are U shaped, and very, very comfortable. you can take a look at their shapes on profile pictures.

Oct 17, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #9,923 of 65,605
  Instead of bending the band (which is made from a spring metal), grab the band from right (above) the rod blocks on each side (not on them), then pull the band evenly and slowly into a straight line. Each time you do this (which will be several times), they will be more and more comfotable. I literally pulled my band a little at a time into a to a horizontal shape and hold it like that for about 15-20 seconds each time I do this, (DON'T KILL IT), be gentle. The end result is the cushions are now just laying over your ears with no pressure. Don't forget it's a spring metal, so this will have to be done whenever you start to feel the band returning to it original shape, but keep doing this and eventually the spring metal will stay the shape you want it to. All of my Grado headbands are U shaped, and very, very comfortable. you can take a look at their shapes on profile pictures.

+1, awesome advice.  I do notice that they tighten a bit after a while, so this makes a lot of sense.

Thanks!

Oct 17, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #9,925 of 65,605

The sound is different, but the comfort is night and day. These put all the pressure on your head vs your ears. Whats crazy is the pads fit directly on without any mods. 

Edit: The headband pad is from a ruined 555. It works for the time being. I'm looking to get one custom made hopefully this weekend. 

Oct 17, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #9,926 of 65,605

The sound is different, but the comfort is night and day. These put all the pressure on your head vs your ears. Whats crazy is the pads fit directly on without any mods. 

Edit: The headband pad is from a ruined 555. It works for the time being. I'm looking to get one custom made hopefully this weekend. 

Thanks for the suggestion.  I have an older, spare set of HD-555 pads that I removed from my HD-555 when I ordered a new set from Sennheiser.  It might be worth pulling them out and checking the comfort option.

Oct 17, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #9,927 of 65,605
  would you say the magnums or the grados are more engaging? which one is more forward

To me, my recent Magnum X drivers from Turbulent Labs seemed to take a somewhat different sound direction from the earlier v.4 drivers. Granted, I didn't have several hours of use time to confirm if the driver signature would have changed with use or not.  I had all the Magnum parts ordered, then came across a pair of Grado PS-500s on the interim, so I made that move and then had to sell of the Magnum build when I finished up the work.

If I were to compare the Magnum X by Turbulent Labs to my Grado RS1i headphones, I feel that there are times when the Magnum driver is appearing to try a bit too hard.  I could hear a lot of emphasis in various frequencies in attempts to push as much sound out as possible.   The RS1i for example, can retain a position of being laid back, but when called to place detail on a certain instrument or passage within a song, the RS1i can do it and allow the listener to appreciate the refinement that it offers.  As my tastes change with age, I'm leaning more towards the refinement in the sound as opposed to the "wow, geez, bang, whiz" offerings of a driver that can try too hard to deliver on so many frequency levels.  I found that this would take away from some of the favorite passages in music that I listen for.  The subtle approach of the RS1i how it handles these passages is what makes me happy.

However, the reality is cost.  On one hand, you have the Magnum X from Turbulent Labs which can be used in a good headphone build with wooden cups, fresh cable, etc. for a price that falls in the $300 range.  Yet, the RS1i is $695 and more than double the cost, so certainly some differences should be quite apparent.  I don't always subscribe that spending more money will always get you a better product.  But, in my case, the detailed moments of sound provided by the RS1i can be nothing short of impressive.

Oct 17, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #9,928 of 65,605
For the past few days, I've been on a little venture.  Towards the end of this past weekend, I spotted a pair of older Grado SR-60 headphones available for $25.00.  The seller said that new pads would be needed and he was the original owner with the original pads.

For me, it wasn't the fact that I was trying to chase down a pair of Grados for $25.00, but I was actually seeking a pair of headphones that I could use to prepare for the cup evaluation on the 7Keys wooden cups that are being circulated so that impressions of each wood type can be noted by the individual testing the various woods.

At noon, I headed about 15 miles closer into the city to meet the guy with the SR-60 headphones.  They were relatively free of any scratches or scrapes.  But the pads ... oh my.  In inner sections that go towards the ear had been turned from the black color to a very light tan color from use, as well as the possibility of being faded somewhat by the sun.

What did I get for $25.00.  Well, my intentions changed a bit upon further review of these SR-60s.  I feel that there's a need to keep them stock, and not to liberate the drivers for the wooden cup testing process.  But, don't worry ... I have plenty of connections or opportunities to locate an appropriate pair of Grados or even use my MS1i headphones for the test when the cup arrives.

So, you might be wondering what makes this $25.00 pair of SR-60 headphones so special?  With the faded and crumbling pads, one might think that they should have gone into the dumpster instead of being sold for $25.00.  However, I persisted with the seller.  I made it clear how interested I was for the Grados. due to the need for drivers to test with the various woods.

However, upon closer inspection after removing the pads, what did I see?  Well, this appears to be quite an early version of the SR-60.  The drivers have that special pink tone to them.  I will do a bit more research on this and post pictures within the next day or so for forum review.  However, if it truly turns out to be one of the famous "gems" that Grado used to make, I'll be pleased as punch to own a pair.  So far, I've used the TTVJ Flats as well as the Grado L-Cush pads on them as I take them through their paces.  So far, I'm really liking what Grado used to offer on these headphones at the time.  To me, the "i" designation might have been more of a marketing issue over an actual sound improvement issue.  I'd love to have a pair of SR-325i Grados at my disposal to switch between the SR-60 and the SR-325i.  The sound from the SR-325i might get some serious competition from the SR-60 that I have.  The sound has a great balance.  I'm not even sure that I'd even consider wooden cups for this pair as the sound is just lovely as it stands with the plastic cups.

Oct 18, 2013 at 3:45 AM Post #9,929 of 65,605
  For the past few days, I've been on a little venture.  Towards the end of this past weekend, I spotted a pair of older Grado SR-60 headphones available for $25.00.  The seller said that new pads would be needed and he was the original owner with the original pads.

For me, it wasn't the fact that I was trying to chase down a pair of Grados for $25.00, but I was actually seeking a pair of headphones that I could use to prepare for the cup evaluation on the 7Keys wooden cups that are being circulated so that impressions of each wood type can be noted by the individual testing the various woods.

At noon, I headed about 15 miles closer into the city to meet the guy with the SR-60 headphones.  They were relatively free of any scratches or scrapes.  But the pads ... oh my.  In inner sections that go towards the ear had been turned from the black color to a very light tan color from use, as well as the possibility of being faded somewhat by the sun.

What did I get for $25.00.  Well, my intentions changed a bit upon further review of these SR-60s.  I feel that there's a need to keep them stock, and not to liberate the drivers for the wooden cup testing process.  But, don't worry ... I have plenty of connections or opportunities to locate an appropriate pair of Grados or even use my MS1i headphones for the test when the cup arrives.

So, you might be wondering what makes this $25.00 pair of SR-60 headphones so special?  With the faded and crumbling pads, one might think that they should have gone into the dumpster instead of being sold for $25.00.  However, I persisted with the seller.  I made it clear how interested I was for the Grados. due to the need for drivers to test with the various woods.

However, upon closer inspection after removing the pads, what did I see?  Well, this appears to be quite an early version of the SR-60.  The drivers have that special pink tone to them.  I will do a bit more research on this and post pictures within the next day or so for forum review.  However, if it truly turns out to be one of the famous "gems" that Grado used to make, I'll be pleased as punch to own a pair.  So far, I've used the TTVJ Flats as well as the Grado L-Cush pads on them as I take them through their paces.  So far, I'm really liking what Grado used to offer on these headphones at the time.  To me, the "i" designation might have been more of a marketing issue over an actual sound improvement issue.  I'd love to have a pair of SR-325i Grados at my disposal to switch between the SR-60 and the SR-325i.  The sound from the SR-325i might get some serious competition from the SR-60 that I have.  The sound has a great balance.  I'm not even sure that I'd even consider wooden cups for this pair as the sound is just lovely as it stands with the plastic cups.

that's probably one of the best $25 deals you can get. i'm a bit jealous :wink:

Oct 18, 2013 at 7:05 AM Post #9,930 of 65,605
Yea, $25 for a pair of pink drivers = steal  :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back