Grado Fan Club!
Sep 15, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #9,346 of 65,606
  well, the He-4's sold within about an hour of me posting, ultimately , i don't think they were for me, EQ'ed or not.
maybe now, i'll try the rs1, 2, i no i , we'll just see what presents itself

Man, I would have scooped them up if I had know!

Sep 15, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #9,347 of 65,606

Man, I would have scooped them up if I had know!

lol, you want the ms2's with the "jimmy cap" i put them up too(reluctantly) in the quest for the rs1

Sep 15, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #9,348 of 65,606
  lol, you want the ms2's with the "jimmy cap" i put them up too(reluctantly) in the quest for the rs1

Ha no, I got my PS500, SR80i, SR225i, Mag V5 and AD2000x that fill the bright/warm/forward void in my life!

Sep 15, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #9,349 of 65,606
  Ha no, I got my PS500, SR80i, SR225i, Mag V5 and AD2000x that fill the bright/warm/forward void in my life!

i really like them, so if they don't sell i'll be glad to keep them , they have a more typical grado sound than the 500 to me

Sep 15, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #9,350 of 65,606
  i really like them, so if they don't sell i'll be glad to keep them , they have a more typical grado sound than the 500 to me

They do lol I keep my PS500 around as an all around can. The 80i/225i are both modified and sound pretty close to the RS1... though they are missing some refinement, mostly in the form of grain and missing details. They are enough to satisfy my hunger for the Grado house sound.

Sep 15, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #9,351 of 65,606
  Is there a can as revealing as the 325, or as good at reproducing electric guitar? Serious question, because I haven't heard one, even in the $1000+ range.

Reproducing accurately, nigh on the analytical side sometimes?

K702, HD600, DT880, AD900X, HD800, T1, HE-5LE paired with a warm amp

For pure listening pleasure?

SR325

It's what it comes down to, do you like analyzing your music or just listening to it. Grado was always for the latter both with their tonearm cartridges and their headphones. You will hear the word "fun" and "enjoyment" synonymous with the Grado heritage.

I listen to Paul Gilbert, Steve Vai, Yngwie Malmsteen, and other soloists for comparing headphones. My actual musical taste is melodic death metal, but also, for the guitars anyway.

Sep 15, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #9,352 of 65,606

Reproducing accurately, nigh on the analytical side sometimes?

K702, HD600, DT880, AD900X, HD800, T1, HE-5LE paired with a warm amp

For pure listening pleasure?

SR325

It's what it comes down to, do you like analyzing your music or just listening to it. Grado was always for the latter both with their tonearm cartridges and their headphones. You will hear the word "fun" and "enjoyment" synonymous with the Grado heritage.

I listen to Paul Gilbert, Steve Vai, Yngwie Malmsteen, and other soloists for comparing headphones. My actual musical taste is melodic death metal, but also, for the guitars anyway.

Unfortunately, the models listed are a bit heavier than a Grado and the AKG as well as the Audio Technica have the "hoop" headbands.  But, they are great contenders and the HD-600 is comfortable and fits like a glove.

Is your SR-325 just the regular version, or the "i" or the "iS"?

Sep 15, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #9,353 of 65,606
  Is there a can as revealing as the 325, or as good at reproducing electric guitar? Serious question, because I haven't heard one, even in the $1000+ range.

RS1! 

This weekend, I've been utilizing my RS1i with a few different amps.  They are as follows:

1. Audio-GD "Fun" with the Earth module.

1. Little Dot I+ with the 5654 tubes.

For my source / DAC, I'm currently using the Squeezebox Touch device.  I haven't tried the internal (Wolfson) DAC built into the Audio-GD with the RS1i, yet.

The Audio-GD made the RS1i seem to lay back from the aggressive upper end a bit.  However, the Little Dot I+ really pushed the RS1i up there to provide that Grado house sound.  While it's been a while since I had last heard the MS-Pro, I'm almost thinking that the Audio-GD (Earth) pushed the sound towards that direction.  I should be able to try some other DACs hopefully by the end of the week.  Also, the 5654 tubes were to provide a neutral to warm-ish sound signature from my readings.  However, I should go back and follow up on the sound notes on the tubes again.  Though I was surprised at the varying results that I heard, I really enjoyed the variation between the two signatures of sound.

Seeing what the previous owner did, brought a tear to my eye.

* I would have had one more DAC to try this weekend, if it hadn't been for me placing my newly purchased HRT Music Streamer II and my 15' Grado extension cord into the trash (totally by accident) a week ago.  
eek.gif

confused_face(1).gif
  There's probably some "dumpster diver" having a good time with my gear right now, too. 

Sep 16, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #9,358 of 65,606
  Does anyone know if the metal rod that fits into the plastic C-shaped plastic (the gimbal?) is held by glue or is screwed in?

The rod is glued in. It has some texture on the end to help the glue adhere it to the plastic gimbal, but it is not threaded.
Grado will replace it for free if you email them: info@gradolabs.com

Sep 16, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #9,360 of 65,606
Anyone have any experience in both the rs2 and 1 ? Being that I have the ps500, I was thinking of trying an rs2 first

Users who are viewing this thread

Back