Grado Fan Club!
Sep 14, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #9,331 of 65,990
EQ is not the devil

It can be very useful and help with ringing, harmonics and slight unpleasant bumps, which ALL headphones can have to some listeners

I sometimes EQ and sometimes don't but either way it's fun to play with. Software EQ is the best for home but either way, have fun!

Sep 14, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #9,332 of 65,990
regarding eq, i thought maybe i'd try a used unit off of ebay, i might could find one that has a pass through, or bypass circuit
that wouldn't degrade the signal too much when using jriver

Sep 14, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #9,333 of 65,990
Any transducer, cans or speakers, that I would have to significantly change the personality of, I get rid of. You put it perfectly -- "maybe...aren't quite for my taste".

I couldn't agree more with you!!  The phones need to sound good...period! Then if the recording has a problem, I might equalize that, but not the other way around.

Sep 14, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #9,334 of 65,990
  I couldn't agree more with you!!  The phones need to sound good...period! Then if the recording has a problem, I might equalize that, but not the other way around.

Eh.  We have a different take, but that is what's so cool about headphones!  I am very comfortable with EQ, and enjoy the challenge.  But I certainly wouldn't argue the point.

Sep 14, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #9,335 of 65,990
listening to Hendrix on my Sonos All along the Watchtower from The Essential Jimi Hendrix Vol. 1 & 2 with Jay's g3 amp and my 225. It sounds so good. Thanks Jay!

I don't listen to a computer. I listen to a speaker system that has a Sonos attached. I stream some music on Sonos through a music service, but mostly listen to my CD collection ripped into Lossless stored on a NAS.

With Sonos, I can access my entire CD collection (about 8,000 tracks currently) in any room in my house that I have Sonos speakers and through my main speaker rig. It's not true audiophile quality, but with a decent DAC through good speakers sounds quite good to me. And, the convenience factor of not having to get a CD, put it in a CDP or even fool with a computer and hear the music in multiple rooms is killer. I didn't "get it", till I had it. Trust me-it's addictive.

I've made a bunch of playlsts-rock, classical and jazz, alternative, metal, etc. I can use a controller on my PC or whip out my cell and use it as a controller. The interface is silly easy to use. I could use it with one eye, completely schiitfaced...pun intended. I'm not now in case your wondering.

I just bought a new Rotel RA integrated amp with a built-in Wolfson WM8740 DAC that  supports files up to 24-bit/192kHz. If I listen to a CD then I can access the Rotel's DAC. In fact it probably upgrades my CDP DAC, And if Sonos plays through the speakers, I access the same DAC.

However when listening through my Sonos connect through a HP amp, I'm unable to take advantage of the Rotel's DAC. I have to listen through the Sonos DAC (Sonos-amp-HP). I cut the amp out of the picture.

I'm curious if I added a Bifrost to my Sonos HP rig, how much better it would sound? Kind of a luxury-it would be an expense that I would only really need when listening to Sonos through HPs...... hmmmm. There's just no way to compare listening straight through my Sonos DAC vs a separate DAC.

if anyone has a similar set up and uses a Bifrost or something comparable, I would kill for some feedback. No, I wouldn't kill, but I would be grateful
happy_face1.gif

NTL, Hendrix sounds sweet just thru the mediocre Sonos DAC, Jay's g3 and my 225i.

Wait, wait, wait, got my Sonos "new music" playlist and yes-Pink Floyd's Animals (well, it's new to me) remastered 2011-"Sheep"-just aweseomeness.

Sep 14, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #9,336 of 65,990
^^ Hendrix & Grado's ^^.........Is like Bread & Butter  :)

Sep 14, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #9,337 of 65,990
  regarding eq, i thought maybe i'd try a used unit off of ebay, i might could find one that has a pass through, or bypass circuit
that wouldn't degrade the signal too much when using jriver

I still think this is a stretch of an assumption.  In my case, the ADC just muddied up the sound and veiled things.  My experience wasn't good.

Sep 15, 2013 at 6:58 AM Post #9,338 of 65,990
Hello all! Haven't got my replacement part from Grado yet, it's on it's wayyyyyy! For the past few days I'm using my XBA-4... The result was... Sad :xf_eek:

This morning when I woke up, I PULLED THE TRIGGER and listen to my Grado xD of corse, I use my hand for support :p missed it too much.. Can't help xD

Sep 15, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #9,341 of 65,990
I don't think I've had a chance to ever demo the RS1. I've heard that it retains the detail of the 325 but with less sibilance and a generally more balanced sound. I suspect the difference in sound might be more due to the mahogany than the driver, but who knows. Also heard good things about the HS2. I kind of wish I jumped on those while they were in production but I was a little strapped for cash at the time.

Besides the grado lineup though, I've never heard a can that approaches the detail of some of the Grados. Maybe stax?

Sep 15, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #9,342 of 65,990
  Is there a can as revealing as the 325, or as good at reproducing electric guitar? Serious question, because I haven't heard one, even in the $1000+ range.

RS1! 

Quote:
  Is there a can as revealing as the 325, or as good at reproducing electric guitar? Serious question, because I haven't heard one, even in the $1000+ range.

I don't think I've had a chance to ever demo the RS1. I've heard that it retains the detail of the 325 but with less sibilance and a generally more balanced sound. I suspect the difference in sound might be more due to the mahogany than the driver, but who knows. Also heard good things about the HS2. I kind of wish I jumped on those while they were in production but I was a little strapped for cash at the time.

Besides the grado lineup though, I've never heard a can that approaches the detail of some of the Grados. Maybe stax?

I concur!

Outside of Grado I love me some Audio Technica... namely the AD900x (for acoustic and vocal) and the AD2Kx (good all around, sexy with rock/metal... anything guitar really)

Sep 15, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #9,343 of 65,990
Maybe stax?

For sure, the Lambda series for 30ish yrears (and the more expensive out-of-my-tax-bracket Staxs), especially since you used the word "revealing".

However, that doesn't change my liking of my Grados. Especially nowdays--my Valhalla/RS1i stays at our lake place, the Stax rig here in Seattle. So I go to the lake, have one evening of "listener burn-in", then I'm set for 2 to 3 weeks of great music. Then back to Seattle and repeat with the Stax.

After years of too many grinding A/B comparisons, I've learned to enjoy some of these different personalities among components, and must say that Head-Fi is a good influence in that regard.

Sep 15, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #9,345 of 65,990
well, the He-4's sold within about an hour of me posting, ultimately , i don't think they were for me, EQ'ed or not.
maybe now, i'll try the rs1, 2, i no i , we'll just see what presents itself

Users who are viewing this thread

Back