Grado Fan Club!
Sep 8, 2013 at 1:46 AM Post #9,226 of 65,624
  When I do get the RS1i to listen to, if I decide I really like them, and I keep them I  will have three headphones myself, which I feel there is really no need for.

I was the same i ended up with 5 pairs at one point which is a small collection compared to some and yes its nice to be able to switch between them however you are looking at a sizeable cash sum being tied up in equipment that hardly gets used and in my case i felt it better to slim down the collection and reinvest in better/other gear. I really enjoy the RS1is and have kept them ( so far ) but my home phones are now Stax which give a presentation more in keeping with my main HiFi system.

Sep 8, 2013 at 4:53 AM Post #9,227 of 65,624
Depends on what having 3 pairs does for you and/or if you can afford it. If you are like me, I prefer each headphone more for different types of music each and mostly use that one when listening to the genre/s. I love switching between the sound sigs as well as lending them to my 2 roomates. I know its sound silly to some as most flagships are definitely capable with most genres, but if you are into every different type of music under the sun from Kpop - Metal - Ambient, classical, hip hop and EDM + beyond, it can pay off if you can afford it.

Anyway,

Id love to pick up a Grado again, but I found the RS2i too piercing a while back. Might have been the amp I was using with it (NFB 5.32) which might have had poor synergy/too powerful. I might look into the MS Pro or RS1i in the future. Got a few other pieces to get before then though. I'm interested in comparing a higher Grado model with the Fischer FA-011LE which is also quite forward and grado like in aggression.

Sep 8, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #9,228 of 65,624
first let me say i've made plans before only to have them crumble before me,
case in point, my plan was 2 headphones, but as i've gotten more into this type of
listening , i can see the value of having more choice. i don't listen to just one type
of music .
soooooooo
my plan now is for two grado's, and one "other"  lol yep plans.......

Sep 8, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #9,229 of 65,624
took my cups apart today to change the grills and add some damping, got a little crazy with some paint too LOL. i feel there was a subtle change in the sound, a tiny bit more open sounding and the treble is ever so slightly different.  but it could be placebo...it is a small difference

these things really are simple!  taking the cups apart scared me bad but it wasn't hard in the end.  the grills were very hard to get out, the glue did not soften at all so i just smashed them out

Sep 8, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #9,230 of 65,624
  took my cups apart today to change the grills and add some damping, got a little crazy with some paint too LOL. i feel there was a subtle change in the sound, a tiny bit more open sounding and the treble is ever so slightly different.  but it could be placebo...it is a small difference

these things really are simple!  taking the cups apart scared me bad but it wasn't hard in the end.  the grills were very hard to get out, the glue did not soften at all so i just smashed them out

pics or it didn't happen :)

Sep 8, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #9,232 of 65,624
eek.gif

Sep 9, 2013 at 12:33 AM Post #9,233 of 65,624

was the treble hotter! ....ha!...get it!? HOTTER!   ...you know? be cause ..of .....the    ...red    

meh NEVERMIND!
mad.gif

biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back