Grado Fan Club!
Sep 10, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #9,256 of 65,642
If you get a chance, read the big headphone review that was conducted by a member here and a guy who works for headphones.com.

Go into the review sections on the Grado headphones.  He basically said that there was little differentiation between the RS1 and the RS1i.  Also, he said the RS2 was similar to the RS1 - but with small sound changes and smaller wooden cups.  Also, the PS-500 was reviewed too - I believe.  I read where the PS-500 has 3 of the back holes in the driver opened up which could be the factor adding more bass to that model.  Additionally, I was quite surprised to hear how Grado had also opened some of the rear holes in the GS-1000 and PS-1000 headphones, too.  That was a real eye opener for me.  I guess they know how to tweak some more bass out of their headphones.

I've also read where  the PS-500 and HF-2 have a somwhat similar signature - yet the differences are explained.  The PS-500 did have some minor sound changes that will be described in the comparision.

Grated, this is just how another individual did the testing and wrote a complete article for grading and determining some of the best headphone values and great sound based on many makes and models.

Sep 10, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #9,257 of 65,642
Just a heads up.

There is a Grado GS-1000 (no mention of it being the "i") - but then again, maybe the seller just indicated GS-1000 because that is what was on the cup.  It Buy it Now price is $699 with free shipping and ships out of Brooklyn, NY.

I'm not affiliated with the seller in any way, but just wanted to pass this information along to someone in the event they are interested.  Enjoy!

Additionally, there is a GS-1000i with about $600 worth of DAC and other accessories for a "buy it now" price of $900 on Audiogon.  Not a bad deal if you can dump the accessories and get $350 to $400 for them on the used market.  Enjoy!

Sep 10, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #9,259 of 65,642
  If you get a chance, read the big headphone review that was conducted by a member here and a guy who works for headphones.com.

Go into the review sections on the Grado headphones.  He basically said that there was little differentiation between the RS1 and the RS1i.  Also, he said the RS2 was similar to the RS1 - but with small sound changes and smaller wooden cups.  Also, the PS-500 was reviewed too - I believe.  I read where the PS-500 has 3 of the back holes in the driver opened up which could be the factor adding more bass to that model.  Additionally, I was quite surprised to hear how Grado had also opened some of the rear holes in the GS-1000 and PS-1000 headphones, too.  That was a real eye opener for me.  I guess they know how to tweak some more bass out of their headphones.

I've also read where  the PS-500 and HF-2 have a somwhat similar signature - yet the differences are explained.  The PS-500 did have some minor sound changes that will be described in the comparision.

Grated, this is just how another individual did the testing and wrote a complete article for grading and determining some of the best headphone values and great sound based on many makes and models.

He (I believe you are referring to David Mahler here) didn't really care much for Grado headphones as a rule though, did he?

Sep 10, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #9,260 of 65,642
  He (I believe you are referring to David Mahler here) didn't really care much for Grado headphones as a rule though, did he?

It depends on which headphone you look at.  He also ranked them for value, too.  A, B, C, etc.  But do keep in mind, the only thing that really matters is how a headphone sounds to you and only you.  Granted, David's review was quite objective and personally, I have not read such a thorough review in a very long time.  All the recent reviews from the past 10 years have been nothing more than sugar coating a product because someone is paying the advertising dollars for the person or company writing the review.  Those kind of reviews make me gag.  In addition to David's review, I have found some pretty good reviews on this site, too - from contributors, owners as well as other members.

But, do keep in mind, it doesn't matter if 100 people say something is horrible, but you enjoy it, then it isn't horrible to you, which is all that matters.

Sep 10, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #9,261 of 65,642

It depends on which headphone you look at.  He also ranked them for value, too.  A, B, C, etc.  But do keep in mind, the only thing that really matters is how a headphone sounds to you and only you.  Granted, David's review was quite objective and personally, I have not read such a thorough review in a very long time.  All the recent reviews from the past 10 years have been nothing more than sugar coating a product because someone is paying the advertising dollars for the person or company writing the review.  Those kind of reviews make me gag.  In addition to David's review, I have found some pretty good reviews on this site, too - from contributors, owners as well as other members.

But, do keep in mind, it doesn't matter if 100 people say something is horrible, but you enjoy it, then it isn't horrible to you, which is all that matters.

Your post sort of prompted me to go back and read the reviews myself, and they were more balanced than I had perhaps recalled.  I think what might have made an impression on me was that the grades for Grados (lol) were relatively low, but that they were based on "perceived value for money".  And I can see that if a person does not like the Grado sound signature, or does not feel that they are comfortable (or does not care aesthetically for them) then the higher level Grados would not seem like good value for money.

I myself had serious reservations about spending that much money on the RS1is, but I did all sorts of mental gymnastics to justify my purchase to myself, and I do love them.  :)

Sep 10, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #9,262 of 65,642

I myself had serious reservations about spending that much money on the RS1is, but I did all sorts of mental gymnastics to justify my purchase to myself, and I do love them.  :)

I think you've made a good decision.  I've owned many - Grado and Magnum-fied Grados to include: SR-60, SR-325, SR-225i, HF-2, GS-1000 as well as the Allesandro MS-1i.  

The RS1i that I have now almost seems like a non-Grado, Grado headphone if that makes any sense at all.  

I think once you get the RS1i and you love it, you're literally set for life ... as long as you keep smacking that upgrade bug before it gets the best of you.  
tongue.gif

Sep 11, 2013 at 1:31 AM Post #9,263 of 65,642
BURNNNNNNNNN! Today when I got back from school... My brother told me that he broke my Grado T.T the handband detached from the earcups but luckily he managed to fix it but still, BURNNNNNNNNN :mad: I shall never lend him my headphones again.. It's the second time it happened T.T

Anyway, thanks again for all the input!

Billson :)

Sep 11, 2013 at 5:00 AM Post #9,265 of 65,642
angry_face.gif
 it broke into two piece on me today -_- 

can't blame fully on him thought... I have noticed some loose on the right earcups already when I first got it and I thought it's a small matter turns out to be this :/

feeling extremely sad about it 
frown.gif
 there's forever a bad news when I lean him my stuff... My old headphone broke on him as well

Sep 11, 2013 at 7:04 AM Post #9,266 of 65,642

angry_face.gif
 it broke into two piece on me today -_- 

can't blame fully on him thought... I have noticed some loose on the right earcups already when I first got it and I thought it's a small matter turns out to be this :/

feeling extremely sad about it 
frown.gif
 there's forever a bad news when I lean him my stuff... My old headphone broke on him as well

Pics? Rarely is there a problem with Grados that can't be fixed with glue LOL

Sep 11, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #9,268 of 65,642
UPDATE: My Grado SR60i is still under warranty (I just bought it on 16th August 2013), so I decided to send a email to GradoLabs for solution and guess what! They are sending me a replacement part for it! :D
Really happy with their service and it didn't take more than a day for them to reply! XD And I WILL NEVER EVER HESSITATE TO A NEW GRADO HEADPHONE! The RS1i or the RS2i either one I should really buy it I feel safer to purchase things from them xD

Billson :)

Sep 11, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #9,269 of 65,642
UPDATE: My Grado SR60i is still under warranty (I just bought it on 16th August 2013), so I decided to send a email to GradoLabs for solution and guess what! They are sending me a replacement part for it!
biggrin.gif

Really happy with their service and it didn't take more than a day for them to reply! XD And I WILL NEVER EVER HESSITATE TO A NEW GRADO HEADPHONE! The RS1i or the RS2i either one I should really buy it I feel safer to purchase things from them xD

Billson
smily_headphones1.gif

I like my RS-2i and I've never felt the urge to upgrade to RS-1i. It's more of a sentimental thing to me than money or inconvenience. 

Grado has done like same week turnaround on my headphones before. Things break but they're always easily replaceable and even in the worst case scenario, the drivers are not even that expensive from them.

Sep 11, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #9,270 of 65,642
Was browsing on eBay, there's a pair of rs2s for sale, the guy's asking $369 obo, just passing the info along

Users who are viewing this thread

Back