Grado Fan Club!
Sep 11, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #9,271 of 65,642
Was browsing on eBay, there's a pair of rs2s for sale, the guy's asking $369 obo, just passing the info along

I saw those, and the GS1000's that Wayne referred to.  For the moment, I am on hold buying anything, especially with the Alpha Dogs just weeks away from shipping.

Right now I am playing with EQ to see how far I can take the 225i's.  But the RS/GS are still on my radar; they are a blip on the outer edge, but they're there.

Sep 11, 2013 at 7:30 PM Post #9,272 of 65,642
well, the hifiman He-4's arrived today, i'm listening to them now, they are different than grado's , i'm kinda on the fence here,
my ears/brain need some adjustment time i suppose, they are comfortable, seem very well made, they do have some bass
lots of detail, big sound stage, this may take some time,
as for now, i'm still a grado guy !

Sep 11, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #9,273 of 65,642
  well, the hifiman He-4's arrived today, i'm listening to them now, they are different than grado's , i'm kinda on the fence here,
my ears/brain need some adjustment time i suppose, they are comfortable, seem very well made, they do have some bass

Been there.  I'm still a Grado guy.

Sep 11, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #9,274 of 65,642

Jay- hang with the HE-4's a bit.  They are the polar opposite of Grado's, IMHO.  My 5-LE's take second place to the 225i's for most of my listening.  But if you have access to any Porcupine Tree or Steven Wilson in Blu-ray or DVD-A, then you may have a reason to keep the ortho's.  Grado all the way for rock-guitar, but for progressive rock or well-mastered material be it orchestral, jazz or even new age, the ortho's can give quite the experience.  I believe a person can have it both ways!

Sep 11, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #9,275 of 65,642

Jay- hang with the HE-4's a bit.  They are the polar opposite of Grado's, IMHO.  My 5-LE's take second place to the 225i's for most of my listening.  But if you have access to any Porcupine Tree or Steven Wilson in Blu-ray or DVD-A, then you may have a reason to keep the ortho's.  Grado all the way for rock-guitar, but for progressive rock or well-mastered material be it orchestral, jazz or even new age, the ortho's can give quite the experience.  I believe a person can have it both ways!

lol, about 30 minutes ago, i thought to myself, maybe i'll try some pink floyd ! , glad i did
i'm gonna take my time here for sure, i can tell these are good headphones,
haven't gotten to any jazz or classical yet

Sep 12, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #9,276 of 65,642
lol, about 30 minutes ago, i thought to myself, maybe i'll try some pink floyd ! , glad i did
i'm gonna take my time here for sure, i can tell these are good headphones,
haven't gotten to any jazz or classical yet

Every planar I've heard just destroys my grados in nearly every category....but because the grados are just so much freaking fun, i find them to be amazingly complimentary and for certain music that fun factor just means a better experience despite being technically "flawed"

Keep both and enjoy!

Sep 12, 2013 at 6:44 AM Post #9,277 of 65,642
Every planar I've heard just destroys my grados in nearly every category....but because the grados are just so much freaking fun, i find them to be amazingly complimentary and for certain music that fun factor just means a better experience despite being technically "flawed"

Keep both and enjoy!

I'm getting quite a bit of confirmation on this, regarding Grado's and ortho's.,  I thought I was a little nuts when I first noticed my preference for the Grado's.  It is starting to make sense to me, and I am beginning to get a little amused at the 'science' debates, particularly because there is more than one or two disciplines in science, and they do not necessarily support the same conclusions.

From a physics/electronics/engineering perspective, the Grado's are indeed 'flawed'.  From a psychological/neuroscience perspective, I think they may actually be brilliant.

I really, really do not have time to get into it in detail, but my 225 i's not only correlate to the typical hearing response at low volume, but they also take advantage of the fact that one does not NEED to have the fundamental of a bass note below 80 Hz reproduced in order to hear that particular note.  Most professional bass cabinets roll of sharply below 50 Hz for this reason, and yet the open E on a bass is 40 Hz.  I play an extended range bass, with a low B at 30 Hz, yet when I play live I have a very sharp 24 dB filter at 50 Hz.  My open B rumbles and shakes the venue like an earthquake, even though the tone at 30 Hz is most definitely not present.

I suspect that Grado are a lot more scientific than people realize, but that they are 'tuned' to a different scientific perspective.  I'm pretty certain I may be called out on this statement, but I don't have time to elaborate.  I am equally certain that there are many Head-fiers who know exactly what I am referring to, but choose not to enter into the endless debates

Sep 12, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #9,279 of 65,642
  I'm very happy with my GS1000 - Grace m902 combo.. classical piano sounds awesome for example..it's hard to put this into the right words, but magic covers it nicely

Dang thats an old school grail setup haha

Sep 12, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #9,280 of 65,642
yea pre recession stuff
biggrin.gif

Sep 12, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #9,281 of 65,642

I'm getting quite a bit of confirmation on this, regarding Grado's and ortho's.,  I thought I was a little nuts when I first noticed my preference for the Grado's.  It is starting to make sense to me, and I am beginning to get a little amused at the 'science' debates, particularly because there is more than one or two disciplines in science, and they do not necessarily support the same conclusions.

From a physics/electronics/engineering perspective, the Grado's are indeed 'flawed'.  From a psychological/neuroscience perspective, I think they may actually be brilliant.

I really, really do not have time to get into it in detail, but my 225 i's not only correlate to the typical hearing response at low volume, but they also take advantage of the fact that one does not NEED to have the fundamental of a bass note below 80 Hz reproduced in order to hear that particular note.  Most professional bass cabinets roll of sharply below 50 Hz for this reason, and yet the open E on a bass is 40 Hz.  I play an extended range bass, with a low B at 30 Hz, yet when I play live I have a very sharp 24 dB filter at 50 Hz.  My open B rumbles and shakes the venue like an earthquake, even though the tone at 30 Hz is most definitely not present.

I suspect that Grado are a lot more scientific than people realize, but that they are 'tuned' to a different scientific perspective.  I'm pretty certain I may be called out on this statement, but I don't have time to elaborate.  I am equally certain that there are many Head-fiers who know exactly what I am referring to, but choose not to enter into the endless debates

Agree 100%. 

Grado was never trying to be "accurate", as the graph warriors call it. They say this right on their website, actually. Grado phones are more "art" than science. When I put my first pair of Grados on my head almost two years ago, I was immediately taken by them. The way that they so beautifully reproduced the natural timbre of strings and vocals captivated me. I think those who want a flat FR or whatever have plenty of choices. Grado never set out to design headphones like that to begin with, so to fault them because they don't measure as flat as a Sennheiser is pointless. 

Sep 12, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #9,282 of 65,642
Was browsing on eBay, there's a pair of rs2s for sale, the guy's asking $369 obo, just passing the info along

On Audiogon now, there is a pair of Grado RS2i headphones in excellent condition (box, etc.) for $365.00.  Buyer covers shipping.  However, there is the option to "make an offer" too.

I'm not affiliated with this seller in any way.

Sep 12, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #9,283 of 65,642

Agree 100%.

Grado was never trying to be "accurate", as the graph warriors call it. They say this right on their website, actually. Grado phones are more "art" than science. When I put my first pair of Grados on my head almost two years ago, I was immediately taken by them. The way that they so beautifully reproduced the natural timbre of strings and vocals captivated me. I think those who want a flat FR or whatever have plenty of choices. Grado never set out to design headphones like that to begin with, so to fault them because they don't measure as flat as a Sennheiser is pointless.

Yeah.  To me, it's only a fault or flaw if it is accidental or unintended.  My experience with Grado tells me that actually, they know exactly what they are doing and why.  They also do not expect everyone to like them, and to be blunt, I don't think they care.  What they do seem to care about is past, current, and future users.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back