Grado Fan Club!
Aug 3, 2013 at 8:10 AM Post #8,371 of 65,584
Quote:
sorry my sarcasm just doesn't come through in text.
smily_headphones1.gif

Don't be, I thought you may have been joking, but your right sometimes its hard to tell how a statement is coming across in text. Its all good! Last night I switched back to the (L) cushions for a couple of hours and enjoyed the clarity and the detail better than with the (S) cushions, and the soundstage, but still the (S) cushions aren't as bad as most people say IMO. I'm actually going to quarter (half dollar mod in my case) my (S) cushions, because they are comfortable and the drivers won't be blocked by any fabric, so they will be more revealing, I gave the modded pair I used to own to a friend, who's (L) cushions dried up.

Aug 3, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #8,372 of 65,584
Aug 3, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #8,373 of 65,584
Well, after about a week of listening to my Little Dot +1, i have to say that it nudged my old faithfull, X-Can V2 off it's shelf in my main system, and this is with the stock tubes and at 1/3 the price of the X-Can, very impressive.

So for me, the Little Dot +1 is definately the SR80i of headphone amps.

Aug 3, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #8,374 of 65,584
Quote:
Well, after about a week of listening to my Little Dot +1, i have to say that it nudged my old faithfull, X-Can V2 off it's shelf in my main system, and this is with the stock tubes and at 1/3 the price of the X-Can, very impressive.

I agree, great little amp for the price

Aug 3, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #8,375 of 65,584

does it's sounds great if little dot +1 + SR60i?

Aug 3, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #8,376 of 65,584
^ yes its great with pretty much any low impedance can!

Aug 3, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #8,377 of 65,584
I had the Grado RS1 vintage A.  But sold it to fund the HD800 and LCD-2.  Biggest headphone mistake ever. Than repurchased the Grado RS1i.  Than looking for the vintage sound purchased the Grado RS1 classic. Another mistake.  Sold it because it was not the Grado RS1 vintage A sound.  Than purchased the GR10, SR325is, GS1000, PS1000 and HF-2. Don't know what I was doing. Sold all of them and purchased the Symphones Magnum V4 (Grado 325is full modded by Rhydon).  Hoped it was the end. But missed the wood cup resonance of the Grado RS1.  So sold the Magnum and now I have a Grado RS1 on the way.   Hope this one is a keeper.  

Aug 3, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #8,378 of 65,584
For those that have, or have heard the ps500, what are yours thoughts on them? How would describe its sound?

Aug 3, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #8,379 of 65,584
Quote:
For those that have, or have heard the ps500, what are yours thoughts on them? How would describe its sound?

I like them very much.  I was just A/Bing them with my 325is and the PS500, to my ears, have a more balanced and refines presentation.  The 325is have a brighter sometimes piercing treble and are lacking in the low end.  PS500 fills in the bottom and still gives plenty of top without the piercing.  Both do the mids very well.  Hope that makes sense.

Oh, and I just washed the stock pads in mild soap and surprisingly I really does help me wear them for longer periods without getting irritated.  Will be moving on to A/B the stock pads vrs. the G-cush next.

Aug 3, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #8,380 of 65,584
Quote:

I suggest you check out the FR graphs they have on Headroom.com. After about 10khz the 500 head for the depths, but some people like that. Sure not going to get any high treble fatigue off of that phone. Odd thing is the 1000 doesn't do that at all. Interesting thing I saw was comparing the PS1000 and the GS1000, almost identical graphs. Not saying the FR is everything but it is a pretty good indicator of what you are going to hear in terms of bass vs treble vs midrange. If the graphs are accurate at any rate.

On a completely different note: Just got a new cd (Echos by Pick Floyd) and was listening with my SR325is phones. Made me wonder if the engineer used these phones to mix it. Absolutely perfect from top to bottom. I got my MkIII to behave (pretty good) with my Grados now. Changed the gain and now I can use either the Senns or the Grado and they both sound good, but on occasion the 325's still get a bit out of hand, but rarely. From time to time I think about getting rid of the Grado's and then something like this happens and makes me REAL happy I didn't.

Aug 3, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #8,381 of 65,584
The ps500 sounds a lot better then it measures lol

Aug 3, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #8,382 of 65,584
The ps500 sounds a lot better then it measures lol

Honestly, it doesn’t measure that bad. It’s not clean like an HD800 or LCD2, of course, but it doesn’t have as many wild peaks and has better square wave responses than the RS1 (and PS1000, FWIW).

For someone like me who has listened to a lot of headphones and seen a lot of graphs so I can figure out approximately what something should sound like (or whether it would be too dark, bright or boomy for my taste) based on some graphs, the sound and measurements are not out of whack.

And, yeah, I really like the PS500. Not my favorite headphones ever but they do a pretty good job toning down the typical wildness of the Grado sound while keeping the core of it intact.

Aug 3, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #8,383 of 65,584
Quote:
Don't be, I thought you may have been joking, but your right sometimes its hard to tell how a statement is coming across in text. Its all good! Last night I switched back to the (L) cushions for a couple of hours and enjoyed the clarity and the detail better than with the (S) cushions, and the soundstage, but still the (S) cushions aren't as bad as most people say IMO. I'm actually going to quarter (half dollar mod in my case) my (S) cushions, because they are comfortable and the drivers won't be blocked by any fabric, so they will be more revealing, I gave the modded pair I used to own to a friend, who's (L) cushions dried up.

The mod still does not provide the soundstage that the L-cush has though.

Aug 3, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #8,384 of 65,584
Honestly, it doesn’t measure that bad. It’s not clean like an HD800 or LCD2, of course, but it doesn’t have as many wild peaks and has better square wave responses than the RS1 (and PS1000, FWIW).

For someone like me who has listened to a lot of headphones and seen a lot of graphs so I can figure out approximately what something should sound like (or whether it would be too dark, bright or boomy for my taste) based on some graphs, the sound and measurements are not out of whack.

And, yeah, I really like the PS500. Not my favorite headphones ever but they do a pretty good job toning down the typical wildness of the Grado sound while keeping the core of it intact.

yup, exactly my thoughts. i really enjoy my PS500 with a wide variety of music.

Aug 3, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #8,385 of 65,584
after having read everyones thoughts and checking out headrooms "lab"
the 500 sounds very appealing, it seems like it might be similar to the ms2
i really need to go up to nashville and hear it some of the other grado's i haven't heard !

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back