Grado Fan Club!
Jul 31, 2013 at 10:07 AM Post #8,342 of 65,695
just checking in for an update. I have now had the PS500 for about a month and I have been using them mostly at work with my iPod and E17. I have yet to run across a recording that sounded bad on these headphones and I listen to a fairly wide range of music except for pop/electronica and classical. Even some of my lower quality MP3s sound really good with the PS500. I haven't spent as much time with the RS1 yet since I got them more recently but my intial thoughts are that the RS1 can sound, in my opinion, a lot better than the PS500, but it can also sound a bit worse. The RS1 is a lot more source dependant, although not as picky as my 325i and maybe even 225i. If you get a chance to try the PS500 though, i highly reccomend them. Other than the typical grado "uncomfort" I can't really find any faults in them.....Funkadelic's Good Thoughts, Bad Thoughts just came on, the soundstage and calrity with PS500 are fantastic. Eddie Hazel is blowing my mind!

Jul 31, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #8,343 of 65,695
3 days ago i just bought Grado SR60i, its really sound very wonderful! i just want to buy a DAP with budget under $150 to pair with it, any recommendation then? sorry my english so bad

I think you can use any DAP you like. The SanDisk Clip or Clip Zip line of players is really good for the price (I paid $30 for mine and $10 for a large SD card). You can install RockBox on them and the level of flexibility is impressive. They can use microSD cards and play FLAC format.

Jul 31, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #8,344 of 65,695
just checking in for an update. I have now had the PS500 for about a month and I have been using them mostly at work with my iPod and E17. I have yet to run across a recording that sounded bad on these headphones and I listen to a fairly wide range of music except for pop/electronica and classical. Even some of my lower quality MP3s sound really good with the PS500. I haven't spent as much time with the RS1 yet since I got them more recently but my intial thoughts are that the RS1 can sound, in my opinion, a lot better than the PS500, but it can also sound a bit worse. The RS1 is a lot more source dependant, although not as picky as my 325i and maybe even 225i. If you get a chance to try the PS500 though, i highly reccomend them. Other than the typical grado "uncomfort" I can't really find any faults in them.....Funkadelic's Good Thoughts, Bad Thoughts just came on, the soundstage and calrity with PS500 are fantastic. Eddie Hazel is blowing my mind!

The PS500 will probably be my next move. Maybe a graduation present to myself. Thanks for sharing your experience with them so far.

Jul 31, 2013 at 11:46 AM Post #8,345 of 65,695
I think you can use any DAP you like. The SanDisk Clip or Clip Zip line of players is really good for the price (I paid $30 for mine and $10 for a large SD card). You can install RockBox on them and the level of flexibility is impressive. They can use microSD cards and play FLAC format.

whoa! sansa clip+ for only $30? in indonesia it's almost IDR 550.000 (4 gb) or almost $55

Jul 31, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #8,347 of 65,695
Man, I mostly love the sound of my 225is', but this morning the treble just killed me.

Do I have it right that the PS500 and RS1 aren't as harsh?  I might try the tape mod as well to see if I can tame it... 

Jul 31, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #8,348 of 65,695
Man, I mostly love the sound of my 225is', but this morning the treble just killed me.

Do I have it right that the PS500 and RS1 aren't as harsh?  I might try the tape mod as well to see if I can tame it... 

the PS500 is definitely smoother in the treble. I've yet to run across a recording that made me cringe. the RS1s from what i understand vary from era to era. mine are an early classic version and they can be harsh with some recordings but not nearly as many as the 325i or 225i and to a lesser degree as well. if you don't mind losing some of the grado sound then PS500, but if you want to keep all the Grado signature then RS1.

however before going down that road the tape mod may very well work for you. i found with the 225i the tape mod enhanced the bass but did not tame the highs.

Jul 31, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #8,349 of 65,695
Quote:
Since I've been favoring Grados lately I'm trying to upgrade my DAC/amp with stuff that works better with low impedance headphones that like current. For portable (meaning away from my desk, not out in the world) I replaced a Fiio E6 with a cmoyBB tuned for Grados and was very impressed with how much better they sound. For desk use I have a uDAC2 and Bravo V2 with upgraded tube. I decided the uDAC didn't even sound as good as my iPhone when paired with the cmoy so I ordered a Modi (hasn't arrived yet). Next I want a new amp and I'm deciding between the E09K, Magni, or LD I+. Lots of people here seem to like the LD or E09K, but is the Magni a bad choice?

As a side note I use DT770 80 Ohm for my closed cans with more bass heavy music so I don't want to purchase something that sounds bad with that either but Grados take priority. Any thoughts?

http://www.analog2p.com/

have a look at the tu-06, the reviews on head-fi, or the analog squared paper appreciation thread here. 

Jul 31, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #8,350 of 65,695
Quote:
the PS500 is definitely smoother in the treble. I've yet to run across a recording that made me cringe. the RS1s from what i understand vary from era to era. mine are an early classic version and they can be harsh with some recordings but not nearly as many as the 325i or 225i and to a lesser degree as well. if you don't mind losing some of the grado sound then PS500, but if you want to keep all the Grado signature then RS1.

however before going down that road the tape mod may very well work for you. i found with the 225i the tape mod enhanced the bass but did not tame the highs.

Yeah, this kinda sucks.

IMO, the Grado midrange is unmatched by anything out there except for Ortho's.  I've gone through a few headphones over the past 40 years, and the Grado's do something with electric guitar I've never really experienced before.  I listen to mostly Stoner/ Doom (you might have heard some, Sam?) and progressive stuff, and I am addicted to what the 225i's bring to the table.  Except that nasty peak between 2 and 3,000 Hz.

So far, the frequency curve of the GS1000 looks like it might work, with a rise but no spike.  And the U-shaped response would work nicely for low-volume (85 to 90 dB) listening that I do with cans.

But throwing a grand at new cans would delay my fretless bass I plan on buying.  Oh- the decisions...

Aug 1, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #8,352 of 65,695
Quote:
2 weeks to wait, and I'll have my PS1000:)
I know it's not going to be perfect, since the match with the burson HA160 is not the best match, but still, I'm really waiting for it:)

Wow, the Grado Flagship! Very nice :)  

Aug 1, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #8,353 of 65,695
Jealous!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back