Grado Fan Club!
Jul 25, 2013 at 7:57 AM Post #8,284 of 65,789
Quote:
I have, and like, the Fiio E09K with my 225i's. it's cheap, but well built and sounds good!

i have the e09k as well, its the heart of my little system, sounds great, very flexible, it does work well with all the grado's i've had, the 60, 225, ms1 , and ms2

Jul 25, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #8,285 of 65,789
Quote:
i have the e09k as well, its the heart of my little system, sounds great, very flexible, it does work well with all the grado's i've had, the 60, 225, ms1 , and ms2

It works well with both my 225i and RS1i. My Q701s still come off as slightly bright on these things, but definitely warm up like my Grados.

Jul 28, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #8,288 of 65,789
Since I've been favoring Grados lately I'm trying to upgrade my DAC/amp with stuff that works better with low impedance headphones that like current. For portable (meaning away from my desk, not out in the world) I replaced a Fiio E6 with a cmoyBB tuned for Grados and was very impressed with how much better they sound. For desk use I have a uDAC2 and Bravo V2 with upgraded tube. I decided the uDAC didn't even sound as good as my iPhone when paired with the cmoy so I ordered a Modi (hasn't arrived yet). Next I want a new amp and I'm deciding between the E09K, Magni, or LD I+. Lots of people here seem to like the LD or E09K, but is the Magni a bad choice?

As a side note I use DT770 80 Ohm for my closed cans with more bass heavy music so I don't want to purchase something that sounds bad with that either but Grados take priority. Any thoughts?

Jul 28, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #8,289 of 65,789
Quote:
Since I've been favoring Grados lately I'm trying to upgrade my DAC/amp with stuff that works better with low impedance headphones that like current. For portable (meaning away from my desk, not out in the world) I replaced a Fiio E6 with a cmoyBB tuned for Grados and was very impressed with how much better they sound. For desk use I have a uDAC2 and Bravo V2 with upgraded tube. I decided the uDAC didn't even sound as good as my iPhone when paired with the cmoy so I ordered a Modi (hasn't arrived yet). Next I want a new amp and I'm deciding between the E09K, Magni, or LD I+. Lots of people here seem to like the LD or E09K, but is the Magni a bad choice?

As a side note I use DT770 80 Ohm for my closed cans with more bass heavy music so I don't want to purchase something that sounds bad with that either but Grados take priority. Any thoughts?

I did not like the Magni with my 325is, was too bright, even painful on certain tracks.  However, that being said, there are a few here that did like how bright it was.  The 225 may be better with it, I do not own them so do not know.  The Magni certainly is a nice package and can drive the Grados.  I will need to try it with the PS500 and see what happens.

Jul 28, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #8,290 of 65,789
Quote:
I did not like the Magni with my 325is, was too bright, even painful on certain tracks.  However, that being said, there are a few here that did like how bright it was.  The 225 may be better with it, I do not own them so do not know.  The Magni certainly is a nice package and can drive the Grados.  I will need to try it with the PS500 and see what happens.

Not trying to be a broken record, but my 225i with a decent source/recording and Asgard 2 sounds good-you have low and high gain to play with for a variety of cans.

Jul 28, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #8,291 of 65,789
Quote:

hope you are enjoying the 225i's !  i have the fiio and little dot now, and i had the magni for a little while. i wouldn't say the magni would be a bad choice, just depends on what type sound you prefer. i tend to lean a little to a warmer, more neutral sound ,than to bright. the modi and magni together for me was a little too bright for my taste, but i've heard others love it,

Jul 28, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #8,292 of 65,789
So, I just did a listen on the M/M stack with the PS500 and it is indeed brighter with the Magni than it wa on my Taboo MKIII and my modded X-fi on my main computer, however it is not nearly as bright as the 325is were.  The Magni and Modi are actually pretty good with PS500.  One issue is the volume get real loud real quick, not much movement of the volume pot and it is too loud, I experienced this with the 325is also and added 12dB attenuators so I could get further away from zero on the volume pot.

I would agree that the Asgard 2 with its gain switch is a good choice, also.

Jul 28, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #8,293 of 65,789
Quote:

I own the LD1+ and the Magni/Modi combo + the 80's and the 325's, and I'm leaning towards the Magni/Modi with the 80's and the 325's. I feel the LD1+ may sound a little weak in the lower frequencies and a little too harsh in the higher frequencies for me, but the mids are right upfront (which I like) with the 80's. With the 325's, I find the lower frequencies to be a bit bloated(strangely enough) for my taste, but the mids seem to be a bit more upfront and the highs are good, but I don't find the 325's bright at all so I'm leaning towards the Magni/Modi, and also I don't have stock tubes in the LD, I have Siemens 6AK5w's, but Im waiting for Voskhod 6J1P-EV tubes to arrive to see if I like them any better, if not I may be selling the LD1+ and keeping the Magni/Modi. To me the Magni/Modi has cleave crisper sound and I also hear better detail and tighter punchier bass, with both the 80's and the 325's, this is just my personnel preference, both amps sound good, but like I said I'm leaning towards the Magni/Modi combo for my tastes.
BTW, I use the Modi with both amps and it has nice detail and separation, it is a nice DAC for the price. If you are interested in possibly purchasing the LD1+, if I don't like the way the new tubes sound ( there supposed to be more upfront and clearer/brighter from what I've read), PM me if you like and are possibly interested. The LD1+, also came with tube cages to protect the tubes, instead of the gold trim around the sockets
I know most everyone is saying the opposite of what I'm saying, but this is only MY opinion.

Jul 28, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #8,294 of 65,789
Quote:
Not trying to be a broken record, but my 225i with a decent source/recording and Asgard 2 sounds good-you have low and high gain to play with for a variety of cans.

I have no problem with broken record posts myself.  I need all the reinforcing information I can get, as there is a lot of info on these threads and forums!

Jul 28, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #8,295 of 65,789
  so the question was about three amps, and several replies , no real consensus , other than it just depends on one's own taste.
i think possibly one consensus would be, all three of the amps in question offer good quality , and offer great value, "if you like it, its good" !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back