Grado Fan Club!
Jul 22, 2013 at 1:05 AM Post #8,236 of 65,633
Quote:

It can all be resumed in one word, respect.

I bought my SR80i for when i'm sitting at my computer, because i find that their lightweight and their flat pads are more comfortable to wear at the end of the day, when i remove my contact lenses and put my glasses back on. But ever since i've listened to them with the L-cush, it bugs me, because now, i know what i'm missing with the comfies. 

Regarding the PS1Ks, you are so happy with your PS500, that the bar is set very high for the PS1K, so i hope that you won't be disapointed, i know i'm not.

Yessir...the PS1ks will truly have to impress, but I'm excited to give them the opportunity one of these days! 

Jul 22, 2013 at 7:01 AM Post #8,237 of 65,633
The RS1 are VERY touchy to open up to change screens. I wouldn't trust anyone to open them up but Grado. They have the experience to unglue the drivers and get to the screens. IME even the experienced modders don't mess with RS1...

just to make sure, i am talking about the white screen that lays across the top of the drivers (the part that sits on your ears). it doesnt seem like i would need to take anything apart except removing the pads.

Jul 22, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #8,238 of 65,633
Quote:
just to make sure, i am talking about the white screen that lays across the top of the drivers (the part that sits on your ears). it doesnt seem like i would need to take anything apart except removing the pads.

That's the cheesecloth! I would NOT remove that. It keeps dust, hair, dissolved ear pads and other undesirables from getting into your drivers.

Jul 22, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #8,240 of 65,633
Quote:
That's the cheesecloth! I would NOT remove that. It keeps dust, hair, dissolved ear pads and other undesirables from getting into your drivers.

and speaking of cheesecloth , the ms2's i bought(used) had the cheesecloth removed, and the screens are not affixed, glued to the driver housing, right now the pads just hold the screens in place, i assume(not always a good thing) i could just replace the cheesecloth and reglue
the screens in place, but i thought it wise to ask first before i just start gluing stuff together !! lol

Jul 22, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #8,241 of 65,633
I would email Grado and ask the cost to replace and then go from there.
If you really want to do it yourself, maybe Grado will send you some cheese cloth.
Grado readily send me parts (gimbals, buttons, rod blocks) to replace broken ones.

You can also ask on the Grado modification threads...

Jul 22, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #8,242 of 65,633
emailed Grado, they said that they use a special solvent and they don' reccomend that I try to remove the original cloth. they said they would replace them if I send the headphones to them but they want $100 + shipping. Hardly worth it for some fresh cloth. It would be cheaper to by some SR60s and take the cloth off of those. I may just see if i can just clean them somehow.

Jul 22, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #8,243 of 65,633
I absolutely love my prestige 225&325's. great detailed studio/recording and good on even the cheapest amp. I actually may prefer my cheap hp amp compared to hi end amps interestingly enough . . . .

Jul 22, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #8,245 of 65,633
Quote:
I absolutely love my prestige 225&325's. great detailed studio/recording and good on even the cheapest amp. I actually may prefer my cheap hp amp compared to hi end amps interestingly enough . . . .

Some of my favorite uses for my Grados - even my PS500s - are to plug them directly into my laptop or Kindle Fire. And many of us use one of the most inexpensive amps on the market - the Little Dot I+ - and have no desire at all to upgrade. That's one of the most attractive aspects of being a Grado fan...if you don't want to drop big money on an amp, you don't need to in order to get fantastic sound. 

Jul 22, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #8,246 of 65,633
Quote:
emailed Grado, they said that they use a special solvent and they don' reccomend that I try to remove the original cloth. they said they would replace them if I send the headphones to them but they want $100 + shipping. Hardly worth it for some fresh cloth. It would be cheaper to by some SR60s and take the cloth off of those. I may just see if i can just clean them somehow.

100$+ shipping, thats ridiculous, you can buy yourself a new pair of SR80i's for that much.
Also you can't take off the cloth and put it on another driver, it will not come off in one piece, some of it may but most of it will separate into strands, and you have to pick off a lot of individual strand that have more glue in some areas, especially around the edges. I may have posted this already in the wrong thread earlier, but I took the cloth off of my 80i's on purpose when I put the Vibrolabs (classic) wooden cups on and I keep the drivers face down when I'm not using them, and I have no trouble at all with them, plus they look great! I might even take them off my 325is's if I get bored one day.

Jul 22, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #8,247 of 65,633
Quote:
100$+ shipping, thats ridiculous, you can buy yourself a new pair of SR80i's for that much.
Also you can't take off the cloth and put it on another driver, it will not come off in one piece, some of it may but most of it will separate into strands, and you have to pick off a lot of individual strand that have more glue in some areas, especially around the edges. I may have posted this already in the wrong thread earlier, but I took the cloth off of my 80i's on purpose when I put the Vibrolabs (classic) wooden cups on and I keep the drivers face down when I'm not using them, and I have no trouble at all with them, plus they look great! I might even take them off my 325is's if I get bored one day.

oh it looks cool , thats for sure !!
so how's the amp shoot out going ?? and how are you liking the modi ??

Jul 23, 2013 at 12:56 AM Post #8,249 of 65,633
I seem to enjoy tormenting myself. Did some more listening tests this evening. What I found out was that some of what I was hearing WAS due to the amp (LD MkIII), if it is an impedance thing or just the general design I don't know. I found my SR325is had much better bass and were much less treble happy on my Headroom SS amp than on the LD, to the point I didn't really like listening to some songs with the Grado's on the LD MkIII. I did notice that I could listen to a song using my Senns and it would sound good on both amps, but different. The Headroom seems to have a mid-bass boost to it, which makes the HD600's sound almost boomy, but really helps the Grados. The real question is...and always is...which is correct. Does the Headroom have a particularly warm sound to it, or is it neutral and the HD600's have a bit of mid-bass boost. Are the Grado's bass shy or is the MKIII a little lacking in the bass area.  The really funny thing, that had me chuckling to myself is that tube amps are supposed to be the warm sounding amp and in this case the SS amp sounds warmer than the tube amp. Just goes to show that any amp can sound pretty much how the designer wants it to, just a matter of what you like.
  Just to end this on a Grado positive note, first time through I was listening to the Grado 325's on the Headroom amp. Got so lost in the music the entire cd played through before I remembered to try the Sennheisers <LOL> I will say the more I compare and listen the more I really want some RS1i phones. Seems to me that might be close to my ideal phone. Little more bass and a little smoother treble than the 325's but still keeping the Grado sound.

Jul 23, 2013 at 1:16 AM Post #8,250 of 65,633
Quote:
I seem to enjoy tormenting myself. Did some more listening tests this evening. What I found out was that some of what I was hearing WAS due to the amp (LD MkIII), if it is an impedance thing or just the general design I don't know. I found my SR325is had much better bass and were much less treble happy on my Headroom SS amp than on the LD, to the point I didn't really like listening to some songs with the Grado's on the LD MkIII. I did notice that I could listen to a song using my Senns and it would sound good on both amps, but different. The Headroom seems to have a mid-bass boost to it, which makes the HD600's sound almost boomy, but really helps the Grados. The real question is...and always is...which is correct. Does the Headroom have a particularly warm sound to it, or is it neutral and the HD600's have a bit of mid-bass boost. Are the Grado's bass shy or is the MKIII a little lacking in the bass area.  The really funny thing, that had me chuckling to myself is that tube amps are supposed to be the warm sounding amp and in this case the SS amp sounds warmer than the tube amp. Just goes to show that any amp can sound pretty much how the designer wants it to, just a matter of what you like.
  Just to end this on a Grado positive note, first time through I was listening to the Grado 325's on the Headroom amp. Got so lost in the music the entire cd played through before I remembered to try the Sennheisers <LOL> I will say the more I compare and listen the more I really want some RS1i phones. Seems to me that might be close to my ideal phone. Little more bass and a little smoother treble than the 325's but still keeping the Grado sound.

I honestly believe it is a compatibility issue. The most simple OTL amp will make a famously hard to drive headphone sing (Bottlehead > HD800) but not be best for your Grados. Likewise your Headroom is not optimized for your HD600s. The Grados are really efficient so they sound ok in some ways with some OTL, but not really. It's not that any amp is bad or voiced a certain way. Some amps can drive both. I had a Mapletree Super 2 that was great with every dynamic I could throw at. Other SS amps with gain/impedance switches can also drive both well, but not all amps can and OTL/Grados is not the best fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back