Grado Fan Club!
May 28, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #7,474 of 65,651
Quote:
You could easily have a bunch of 80i's ready to give to anyone who vaguely likes their musics lol you could give em 2 years in a row if they stack em
biggrin.gif

Does this mean you are not a fan of the 80, or are you comparing them to the price of the more expensive Grados?

May 28, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #7,475 of 65,651
May 28, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #7,477 of 65,651
Well I have never owned or listened to the sr80, but I did own and listen to the sr125i and compared to the 225i, I much preferred the 225, I thought the entire spectrum was better, bass, mids and treble, not to mention the extra detail and transparency I heard. True story, I was listening to an album I have listened to dozens and dozens of times, at one point I clearly heard the drummer playing a cowbell, I had never ever heard that before with any headphone I owned. I went back and listened again with my Senn's and once I knew it was there I could hear it, but before it was so far down in the mix and overshadowed by the rest of the band I had never heard it. It was at that point I knew the 225i's were keepers for sure.

May 28, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #7,478 of 65,651
Quote:
Well I have never owned or listened to the sr80, but I did own and listen to the sr125i and compared to the 225i, I much preferred the 225, I thought the entire spectrum was better, bass, mids and treble, not to mention the extra detail and transparency I heard. True story, I was listening to an album I have listened to dozens and dozens of times, at one point I clearly heard the drummer playing a cowbell, I had never ever heard that before with any headphone I owned. I went back and listened again with my Senn's and once I knew it was there I could hear it, but before it was so far down in the mix and overshadowed by the rest of the band I had never heard it. It was at that point I knew the 225i's were keepers for sure.

That's awesome...you can hear really deep into the recording with Grados, that's for sure. One of the things I love most about them. That happened to me once when I was listening to a track and I heard this weird noise...took me a while to figure it out, but then I realized that I was hearing the foot pedals on the piano being depressed. That's some serious detail! 

May 28, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #7,479 of 65,651
Quote:
No clue. But I definitely didn't use that word in my post, and I read my post before submitting it, and it wasn't there. Very strange. Did you put it there Focker? Just kidding! 

Could be a glitch in the Matrix? 

May 28, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #7,481 of 65,651
Quote:

That's awesome...you can hear really deep into the recording with Grados, that's for sure. One of the things I love most about them. That happened to me once when I was listening to a track and I heard this weird noise...took me a while to figure it out, but then I realized that I was hearing the foot pedals on the piano being depressed. That's some serious detail! 

SR225i's are my favs for mid-fi by a mile :) they're even in my display pic haha

I think anyone's who's been to real lives will prefer the Grados over darks because they put you on stage or first row, incomparably better for intensity <3

I also like the natural appeal and musicality of the wood- I also found Beyers to be much more musical and forgiving as well compared to really razor sharp ones like ultrasones or ur regular sennheisers

Question for people who've tried- do you think tubes or solid states add to the real experience more? With the example of being at a live rock concert as the measure

May 28, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #7,482 of 65,651
Still trying to make up my mind on the tube/solid-state thing. I have both and to say the sound between them is different is an understatement, but my ss amp is quite old. I would like to listen to a new, somewhat high end ss amp like a Burson or Grace before I really make up my mind, but for now I prefer my tube amp over the ss amp I have.

May 28, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #7,483 of 65,651
Has anybody had (as in owned) or been able to listen to some Grado SR series phones on both a Valhalla and a Lyr, if so which sounded the best to you? I am kind of leaning toward the Lyr becuase I am told it works wonders removing the 'veil' from the Senn HD650's but I listen to my Grados more so it is more important to me that the Grados sound good than the Senns.

May 29, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #7,484 of 65,651
SR225i's are my favs for mid-fi by a mile :) they're even in my display pic haha

Do you prefer the 325is over the 225is or is your budget for the 225i and that's your mid-fi limit?

Or some other consideration?

May 29, 2013 at 6:06 AM Post #7,485 of 65,651
Do you prefer the 325is over the 225is or is your budget for the 225i and that's your mid-fi limit?

Or some other consideration?

They're both great at what they do, but the 325i's are the acquired taste and need burn in and source, so imo they're not ur average mid-fi plug in and go, though they have the far greater range and scalability (metal cups for crisp responsiveness) & intense grado sound & potential for low volume

Long story short I'm lazy so would go for the mellower 225i's that wow u right away :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back