Grado Fan Club!
May 1, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #7,051 of 65,648
Quote:

Just my opinion here, but I do not find the iGrados in the least bit trebly.
I do agree, the 225s do have some treble emphasis to them, which I do like.
Excessive?  if you don't like it, then it's excessive.
But I personally dig that Grado sound!
wink_face.gif

Thanks for the link to the graphs, BTW.
I was surprised at how flat the 225 actually is!
And the iGrado looks like how it sounds!

How much burn=in is recommended for sr60i's and igrado's? What happens to the sound quality?

May 1, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #7,052 of 65,648
Just got my first REAL pair of decent Headphones, went with the SR80i's after trying them in AudioT in the UK. Great headphones and loving them so far, listened to them for probably 6/7 hours over the past 48 hours since I've had them and they sound great. Playing them through my iPhone when i'm walking to/from my College or through a Rotel RA820AX at home. Obviously sounds much much better through the Rotel.

Only been two days and i'm already looking at USB DAC's :)

Simon

May 1, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #7,053 of 65,648
Quote:
Just got my first REAL pair of decent Headphones, went with the SR80i's after trying them in AudioT in the UK. Great headphones and loving them so far, listened to them for probably 6/7 hours over the past 48 hours since I've had them and they sound great. Playing them through my iPhone when i'm walking to/from my College or through a Rotel RA820AX at home. Obviously sounds much much better through the Rotel.

Simon

Congrats, those are great sounding cans.

May 1, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #7,054 of 65,648
Quote:
Does anyone have experience putting larger earcups on the Grado RS-1i?  The small earcups are rather uncomfortable.

I don't know about the RS-1i but I have woodied 325is and the G-Cushions work just fine.  They should fit the RS-1i.  More comfy, bigger soundstage.

May 1, 2013 at 7:58 PM Post #7,055 of 65,648
I am really happy you guys are suggesting the Little Dot 1+ because I can actually afford those <g> I do have a china tube amp coming I almost had to buy it as it was so cheap, it is (they say) class A, so we shall see how it does. Still gonna get a LD 1+ though once I get my DAC. The dac I am getting has an amp built into it, I am not expecting too much from it but some reviews say it isn't bad at all...seems like I might end up with a few too many amps before this is all over with :)

May 1, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #7,056 of 65,648
Quote:
I am really happy you guys are suggesting the Little Dot 1+ because I can actually afford those <g> I do have a china tube amp coming I almost had to buy it as it was so cheap, it is (they say) class A, so we shall see how it does. Still gonna get a LD 1+ though once I get my DAC. The dac I am getting has an amp built into it, I am not expecting too much from it but some reviews say it isn't bad at all...seems like I might end up with a few too many amps before this is all over with :)

what dac do you have coming ??

May 1, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #7,057 of 65,648
May 1, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #7,058 of 65,648
Does anyone have experience putting larger earcups on the Grado RS-1i?  The small earcups are rather uncomfortable.

I've tried the G Cush on my RS1i. Comfy, but I missed the immediacy of the presentation with the stock L Cush, and think they are voiced for that cush. But it's a cheap experiment.

May 1, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #7,059 of 65,648
Okay, I have calmed down a bit now. I was wondering what amps you guys are using with your Grado phones. I have heard that tubes are best, so which ones? I was thinking of maybe one of the Little Dots (2 or 3). I was also wondering if there are any solid state amps that also sound good with them? I have both now but the SS amp I have is real old and the tube amp is pretty inexpensive. Just curious what amps seem to work well.

I continue to be very happy with the Schiit Valhalla driving my RS1is. Tube input, and output tubes directly driving the headphones, the simplest possible amp. Transparent, realistic top to bottom, and extremely revealing of upstream dacs and software. No problem with the Grado 32 ohm impedance. US made and a bit more expensive than the Little Dots I believe.

May 1, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #7,060 of 65,648

Simon

Sfyw (sorry for your wallet)

May 2, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #7,063 of 65,648
I found the igrado's too "hot" on the high end. I solved that for now by EQ-ing +1.5 and +1 in the low end, and -1.5 and -1 at the high end.

I'm also concerned about the fit and comfort of the igrado's. I found a relatively inoffensive fit with just a bit of experimentation. However, I get the sense that they will never be very comfortable. 

I like the sound quality for sure, but come on, it's really sad that they couldn't design these headphones to fit a bit more comfortably. 

May 2, 2013 at 7:01 AM Post #7,064 of 65,648
Quote:
Well I decided to get the Parasound Zdac. Just a bit above what I had planned to spend but it has gotten several real good reviews, and I have one of their cd players and it is real good.

isn't that the way it always happens , we spend a little above what we planned to spend ??
ive read good things about the parasound too, please keep us informed !!
i'm using the microstreamer, it has an amp too , which is good, so good i returned the fiio eo9k
and decided to get a better amp
initially i felt that the fiio was a little better than the micro's amp section
after extended listening, i came to believe it was more of a sideways move
and as i was typing this, the idea came to mind, don't get another amp, maybe get the
ms2's i keep thinking about !

May 3, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #7,065 of 65,648
Well I went and listened to the SR325 today and I think a lot of you knew what was going to happen and instead of saying something you just stood there with a big grin on your face waiting. They were pretty much what you would expect of the top phone in that line, much smoother from top to bottom, I for one, did not hear ANY high end harshness, and clairity like you would not believe. I thought they would be uncomfortable to wear as they are a LOT heavier than my 225s, but for some reason, they were very comfortable. I kept waiting for the top of my head to start hurting and it never happened, maybe I just have a hard head. Anyway, I am going to be selling a couple other phones to get enough money for these, one of those 'Must Have!!' moments. I absolutely have to have a pair of these now...curse you people for even mentioning the 325i

Users who are viewing this thread

Back