Grado Fan Club!
Mar 16, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #6,421 of 65,629
Quote:
I own the 325is, and  I do not find them harsh or bright in any way at all. They have a really nice tight bass, and the Midas are nicely placed upfront with crystal clear highs and detail. I know a lot of people complain about the 325is being so shrill and harsh, but I for one just don't understand it. maybe it has to do with the equipment they are using + we all know that recordings can also make a world of difference. As for the 225, I can not comment, I've never heard them before.
BTW my 325is just get better and better the more hours they accumulate, and are continuing to do so. Why don't you see if you can demo a pair some where!
Good luck and enjoy which ever model you choose.

Quote:
Yes, that's what I was trying to say,
biggrin.gif
 RS1i have more bass and more decay in treble region, which make them sound a tad darker and full- bodied than the RS2i, the RS1i also have better bass texture and treble details, the mids of RS1i sound a bit further that the RS2i.

My point is that although RS1i have a better sound quality, but the 'delicacy' in treble,bass texture and  the further mids make it less engaging when playing some music genres. In conclusion, although the RS1i will justify the 200 dollars difference between the RS2i in regards of sound quality, I wounldn't pay for it because the RS1i is less fun and sound less "Grado" than the 2i. (I owned a pair of RS1i BTW
redface.gif
)

......very interesting-makes me want to audition both....

I think I'm struggling w/ the remarks about bass. One of the metal genres I like falls into the category of stoner/doom/sludge, etc. This kind of music usually has a lot of distorted base. Think early Black Sabbath on steroids-low and slow. The guitars are typically down tuned and sometimes played through massive base amps giving this earth shaking low end sound. I can't imagine this sort of bass heavy rock sounding good on bright cans w/ minimal bass.

That's what kept me away from the 325's. Although,  from what I gather, after burn in time, the bright sounds of the 325 begins to mellow out.

Mar 16, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #6,422 of 65,629
I have had somewhat of a Grado journey over the years. It began with the first HF1. I felt that it was a little congested. Then the 325 ( Goldies), great "live" presentation but ultimately too intense/aggressive. Then the Rs2, which is my favourite Grado so far. I was caught up in the hype of the Head-F1 HF2. Very disappointed, quite simbilant and uninspired. I sold those and later tried the sr80s and now have the 60s. I don't listen too headphones as much now (two kids) and so the SR60 s and the Westone UM3X have been sufficient. I will compare the RS1 and 2 directly at some point and settle on my favourite keeper. Love the Grado sound.

Mar 16, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #6,423 of 65,629
I doubt that kind of music will sound bright on the 325is.
IMO detailed is a more accurate description than bright, aggressive or harsh.
You should try your favorite music on whatever Grados you can audition.
You may be surprised...

Mar 16, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #6,424 of 65,629
Quote:
I recently auditioned the 225i, 325is and RS2 at our local dealer (Music Lovers in SF). 
The RS2 was the most expensive Grado out to try.
I have much experience with vintage and pre-i Grados but not much with the new models and none with the newest GS1000 PS1000.

I found the 3 to sound VERY similar and would certainly be happy with any.

1. 225is is clearly the best value for sound and comfort.
2. 325is was not noticeably more aggressive than the 225i or RS2i.
3. 325is is only $100 more than the 225i and for that you get metal cups and a leather headband, not bad really!
4. The RS2i for $300 more than the 225i didn't seem good value. One can buy a 225i and 325is for the price of a RS2i.
5. The 325is, with the 8 conductor cable, is a bit heavy compared to the other 2.
I left feeling if I could get one only it would be the 325is, though I'd be happy with the 225i if money was tight.

In a splurge I'd get the 225i and RS1i.
I couldn't think of a situation where I'd select the RS2i. Great phones but I'd rather spend less for the 325is or more for the RS1i.

Just curious why you would consider splurging to get both 225i and RS1i-if I'm reading correctly. Would you listen to both for different kinds of music?

Mar 16, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #6,426 of 65,629
Mar 16, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #6,427 of 65,629
Quote:
If you can, audition the entire Prestige Series. Don't leave out the SR60 / SR80 / SR125 just because they are less expensive. If you audition those three with L-Cush pads, you'll find they have better value than the SR225 and SR325.

The SR225i is often recommended as the best "value" Grado in the lineup. I'm not sure I understand why - maybe because it is the first model in the lineup sporting L-Cush pads. But, taking headfi's advice, I actually started with the SR225i, ended up "upgrading" to the SR325is, then upon hearing the SR60i and SR125i with L-Cush pads, found I actually liked the lower models better! I mistakenly assumed I'd like the higher models because they were more expensive and, theoretically, better.

But to answer your question, I found when I A/B'd the SR225i and SR325is that the SR325is sounded slightly more V-shaped. The bass sounded better, and the highs were not overly-sharp or shrill. Just clean and enjoyable. The mids just sounded less up-front than the SR225i. However, I ended up liking the lower models better because they are less V-shaped and have a more coherent soundstage in my opinion...

You make a good point, I have never listened to the lower end models for exactly the reasons you stated. Maybe I should give at least the 80 and 125 a listen. Which, may I ask, did you eventually settle on?

Mar 16, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #6,428 of 65,629
You make a good point, I have never listened to the lower end models for exactly the reasons you stated. Maybe I should give at least the 80 and 125 a listen...

60's or 80’s are a good way to see if you like the Grado experience without investing too much cash. I started with 80i's and loved them, then bought some 325i's two weeks later. All in all, the 325’s are a big step up in every way, well worth the upgrade.

However, I put the 80's up for sale and then found I didn't want to sell them, even when I had an interested buyer. They're too much fun and are a great leave-laying-around, no-worry pair for use with my iPad and iPod. I also realized I'm attached to them as they were my introduction to Grados.

The 325’s are incredible for extended music sessions laying on the couch, using a tube headphone amp, and spinning vinyl for focused, intense listening. They outperform the 80's hugely in this setting, IME. But the 80’s are great for quick, less focused uses like using an iPod or watching Netflix on an iPad. I'm glad I have both. I'll probably try some RS-1’s down the road, but for now I'm complete happy listening to the 325's.

Mar 16, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #6,429 of 65,629
Quote:
Re-thinking, I'd get SR80 as a "junker" and RS1 for serious listening.

That is a better idea, because when you get the RS1.....the 225 would not get much play time.

I wanted to keep my 325i  after I got my RS1i's....but ending up selling them for that very same reason....I loved them, but could not see them getting much play time

Mar 16, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #6,430 of 65,629
Quote:
You make a good point, I have never listened to the lower end models for exactly the reasons you stated. Maybe I should give at least the 80 and 125 a listen. Which, may I ask, did you eventually settle on?

SR60i with L-Cush pads. My favorite was the SR125i with L-Cush pads.

It went like this. After I upgraded to the SR325is from the SR225i, I felt satisfied for the time. I shortly thereafter bought a SR60i to try with L-Cush pads just to see if I could confidently recommend the SR60i to my friends. To my surprise, the SR60i with L-Cush pads sounded terrific! So much so, in fact, that I started comparing it to the SR225i and SR325is, and it slowly dawned on me that I felt the SR60i was more to my liking.

Ultimately this experience made me realize I had incorrectly assumed that as I move up the Grado chain, I'd necessarily get better sound. In truth, as I moved up the chain I got slight differences in sound rather than improvements. So what I then did was ordered the SR80i and SR125i and the Alessandro MS1i, and a few pairs of L-Cush pads. I then had the entire Prestige Series lineup in my home, including the MS1i, for comparison purposes. Below is a brief breakdown of my impressions of each headphone:

- SR60i: Lightest bass in lineup, but also the tightest. Was actually better for fast metal in this regard, I felt. Also, notably, the highs were the tamest in the lineup with the least sibilance. I liked this. Ultimately, the combination of lightest bass and smoothest highs meant the SR60i was the most mid-centric headphone in the lineup, which I really liked.
- SR80i: Very similar to SR60i, but with slightly more bass presence and just a touch sharper highs. An overall more aggressive sounding headphone, and I chose the SR60i over the SR80i because it is a bit easier to listen to.
- SR125i: Very similar to both models below it, but overall improved. Bass was very good, SR80i-like but even better extension. Mids felt more defined, and highs were the second smoothest in the entire lineup, behind SR60i. Soundstage has just slightly more depth than the below models, an improvement. Ultimately was my favorite model in the lineup, I still think about picking one up to this day.
- SR225i: Seemingly the first model in the Prestige Series where the soundstage gains a significant amount of depth. Lows and mids notably felt more spacious. However, the highs were sharper and more aggressive than all three models below it. It was as if the lows and highs had taken a step back to give your ears room to breathe, but the highs had taken a step forward. It made for a sound that wasn't consistent sounding, less coherent than the lower models in my estimation.
- SR325is: Notably the most V-shaped model in the lineup. A/Bing the SR60i to the this headphone was comical. I was surprised at how much more I preferred the SR60i's more mid-centric aproach. Still a good headphone, better than the SR225i in my opinion.
- MS1i: Sounds like a Grado with slightly muddy bass by comparison, darker mids, and highs that might have been a little more tamed than the SR60i. Overall a Grado without the Grado excitement.

I kept the SR60i over the SR125i more out of principle than anything. I honestly struggled with that decision, but I literally felt the SR125i was maybe a 5% improvement over the SR60i. That improvement was accounted for in better bass quality, more defined mids, and a soundstage that struck a great balance between the SR60 / SR80 and the upper models.

And, comically, the headphone I began with (SR225i) was the one I ended up liking the least in the lineup!

Mar 16, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #6,431 of 65,629
Thanks for that min-review of the SR series of Grado's. Very helpful. Oddly enough, I had just put in a bid on some 125i's before I logged in here and read your post.That is a bit weird eh.

Mar 17, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #6,432 of 65,629
Interesting comparison. I just moved from 80s to 325is. I also did not find the highs harsh at all. Unlike Biscuitz, I would not describe the 325is as V shaped. The 80s have more of a bump in the low mids, and I think the 325s are missing that low mid bump with better response in the lower bass range. The thing, to me, that stands out about the 325is is the amazing detail. The cliché about hearing things you never heard before in the music is absolutely true with these.

On a side note, I did the hole punch thing on the 80s (4 holes) and now I get more low bass. Actually, I think I get too much bass now - should have done 2 holes. Anyway, the effect is VERY noticeable.

Mar 17, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #6,433 of 65,629
Quote:
Interesting comparison. I just moved from 80s to 325is. I also did not find the highs harsh at all. Unlike Biscuitz, I would not describe the 325is as V shaped. The 80s have more of a bump in the low mids, and I think the 325s are missing that low mid bump with better response in the lower bass range. The thing, to me, that stands out about the 325is is the amazing detail. The cliché about hearing things you never heard before in the music is absolutely true with these.

On a side note, I did the hole punch thing on the 80s (4 holes) and now I get more low bass. Actually, I think I get too much bass now - should have done 2 holes. Anyway, the effect is VERY noticeable.

Personally, I don't find the highs harsh in the 325i, just too prominant.
You bought the headphones for you, if you like them, perfect! 
wink_face.gif

Mar 17, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #6,434 of 65,629
My 325i's seemed a little harsh when I first got them, but I actually really liked it....it was just a no nonsense sound that I adored.

After some time, they tamed down and still had that in your face aggressiveness....just not to the same level of when they were new.

My RS1i's are not quite as aggressive, the detail is a little better and the bass is better also, along with they are lighter on my head.....that being said, I adored my 325i's

I think of my RS1i's as a more refined 325i

Mar 17, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #6,435 of 65,629
I don't find the 325’s sound to be v-shaped, either. All the juicy mids of the 80’s are still there, except richer and with more detail, and surrounded more evenly by bass and top end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back