Grado Fan Club!
Jan 6, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #6,016 of 65,633
No offense, but I really have to take issue with the statement "Grados don't like OTL tube amps" which I have seen many times in these forums. I have the PS 500 and the RS1i and I enjoy listening to them with several solid state amps (iBasso D7 & modded D12, NuForce, Fiio,etc.) and a Rolls Bellari HA 540 tube amp. The Bellari amp is a USA-made OTL design which uses a single 12AX7 tube and has both high and low inputs - and this amp is by far my favorite with the Grados! I'm talking black background, ultra detailed and a helping of that fabled "tube warmth". I paid $250 for the Bellari and use a variety of NOS tubes, my current fave is a MAZDA triple mica 5751. There are no doubt some OTL designs that are not optimal for Grados, but I believe the Bellari HA540 is one of the best amps for them, and I don't mean to say it just is "OK". One of the things I love about the Grados is their versatility with sources and amps and how good they sound amped or unamped - even straight out of a Kindle Fire! The Bellari takes them to a whole new level though, and it is an OTL design.

If I'm remembering correctly, the Bellari is not a true OTL - it's a hybrid of sorts. It's been a while since I looked at one though. Bellari specs it to drive loads as low as 16R iirc, which is quite a feat for an OTL (the 12AX7 also doesn't provide anywhere near the output current to match Bellari's power output claims) - there are certainly a number of higher end (very robust) OTLs that can knock that out no problem (like some of the Moth or Eddie Current amps, which cost as much as a used car), but generally speaking the inexpensive OTLs you'll find on eBay or elsewhere (and even the Schiit OTL (by Schiit's own admission)) are not suitable for low Z headphones overall (which includes Grados). In some cases it's actually dangerous for the amplifier, headphones, and user to attempt such a pairing (it can damage the amp and potentially start a fire) - so if you really want OTL for whatever reason, triple-check that the design is safe and stable with the headphones you want to use (and again, the Bellari specs indicate that it is safe for headphones like the Grados). Transformer coupled or hybrid designs will be a completely different question - something like the Woo WA6 (transformer coupled) or the Musical Fidelity hybrids should have no problems as long as you select the right output impedance.

I have an SR60i and I'm new to the audiophile world. What should I upgrade next? Pads, cable, amp, source? What will make the biggest difference? I have a Macbook pro and a 6th generation Ipod Nano.

I don't know if I want to bother with upgrading my portable music, because according to reviews I have read, you seem to get less quality for the money with portable stuff, compared to the value you get out of home equipment. I don't go out much either. Still I'm wondering if I should sell the Nano and get the Sansa clip which seems to have a big following.

I think you're fine with the iPod and such - they're really quite clean. You have to remember that Apple by and large has a stigma around it, and people are always looking for a way to have "not Apple" products (usually to save a buck), but if you've already got the thing, why bother?

As far as mobile devices being less fidelity oriented - that's a tricky one. The biggest argument/issue is that they don't have tons of voltage swing (which is a limitation of the batteries), but the primary defenses are that they run on batteries, and generally have very stable, low Zout, clean output sections. For Grados I think you're AOK, but if you wanted to hook up a more power hungry or high Z headphone (like an HE-6 or T1) you'd very likely run into some trouble.

Personally, for at-home use, I cannot stand using a PDP (I'm at my computer or stereo for at-home music listening, I don't want to bother with yet another device that has to be charged and that I can't control with the keyboard or stereo's controls) - so I don't do that. But I can certainly see where that isn't everyone's situation (I used to spend time reading for leisure, and would bring a portable CD player and headphones with me out onto the deck or similar - it was quite pleasant; this is just an example of where a portable device makes sense).

One more question, do wooden cups actually make a discernible difference in sound? I'm very skeptical about this and I suspect that people only get them because they look cool. The sound comes from the drivers not the cups.

I play harmonica and a lot of harmonica players are obsessed with wooden harmonica combs. Wood has serious drawbacks such as making your lips bleed, yet people still want it. Some solve the bleeding problem by buying expensive wood composite combs. Some even buy harmonicas with ABS plastic combs and replace them with fancier, much more expensive plastic. However the truth is comb material actually makes no difference in sound. The sound comes from the reeds, the body of the instrument doesn't resonate like a guitar. A lot of harmonica players seem to suffer from an irrational aversion to plastic because it seems cheap, and they imagine sonic differences that don't really exist. I can't help but wonder if the same thing is going on in headphones.

Yes and no. You have to remember that musical instruments and loudspeakers (which headphones are subset to) are different beasts. The enclosure certainly DOES matter (the sound does not just come from the drivers - the enclosure makes a big difference). However the material that goes into the enclosure is up for debate - some people will argue that the deader the better (lower resonance, less coloration, etc - this is partly why MDF has become fairly popular among mainstream designers (it'd be too heavy for headphones though), along with more exotic materials (I've seen granite, aluminum, ABS, etc)). The other side will say that having a more "live" cabinet has benefits - Grado Labs themselves seem to fit into this later category. I will say that the RS-1 and GS-1000 certainly sound different (and to me, better) than the Prestige series headphones (which are predominately plastic, except the SR-325 (which itself is distinct imho)). Now, is this the result of the wood? Or the result of different enclosure geometry? Or is Grado using substantially different drivers? Or is it some combination of the above? Personally I'd say the last one is probably the best answer - the cups *are* differently shaped, they *are* a different material (which can make a difference), and there likely *are* differences between the drivers as you move around in the Grado line-up.

As far as throwing $200-$300 of mods onto an SR-60 - I'm going to say that I'm skeptical and somewhat hesitant to do so. Because at the bare minimum you could start out with the SR-225 (which has better driver matching from the factory), but without hearing them first or otherwise having a good idea of what the mods are exactly doing, it's really tough to predict what your outcome is going to be. And in a lot of cases the mods *are* aesthetic (like the not inexpensive leather headbands and all aluminum gimbals and rod locks - that's all aesthetic, sure the rod locks provide some functional improvements, but zipties or collars will do the same thing for a lot less money). Wood cup modifications for headphones are a bit trickier to analyze though; certainly there is a purely aesthetic component to putting very expensive and rare hardwoods on your headphones, but on the other hand, I'm inclined to say that (based on woodies from Audio-Technica and Grado that I've heard), there is something to the wood as a housing.

My best advice would be to track down a pair of RS or GS series cans to audition, and using that information moving forwards. I still think spending the price of the headphones a few times over on mods is silly, but if that's what you wanna do, there's nothing wrong with that (and there are some VERY cool looking art pieces that people have made out of Grado headphones - certainly if you just like woodworking and want to make something one of a kind, I'd say go for it (and come back and tell us about it!)).

Also, I think it's cool that you play the harmonica - it's an instrument that has never made sense to me.

To be completly honest, i'm not sure i'm getting all of this,oh well, the important thing is that i'm satisfied with the sound i'm getting from my Grados, altough i admit that i'm very curious about planar magnetics headphones, more specifically Audeze LCD2/3, so i'm looking forward to this year's Hi-Fi show to hear them,

About the RTRs, you just hook it up to the tape input and output and you can record whatever you want, you can even record FM brodcasts if you want to, when i bought mine, it was mainly because i tought those ten inches reels looked so cool when they were turning, but when i heard the sound quality that RTRs were capable of, my jaw just dropped, so i use mine for casual. as well as critical listening.

Like bbophead, I'd be interested in your impressions of the LCD-2 as well. And yeah, I've seen the magnetic reel setups on computers and projection systems and they're pretty sweet to sit and watch, and I can imagine it looking pretty slick with my audio equipment too. Question: do RTRs need pre-amps? (I've seen them marketed, but I don't know if they're required or not; I really know nothing about RTR for audio).

I would just purchase the (L) cushion's and hear wich you like better, and leave them alone. Otherwise You can spend way more than the headphone's cost if you start recableing, or purchasing vibro lounge wood cup's for about 90$U.S., and in that case you could have purchased a different model, so just try the other cushion's and leave them alone, they are awesome the way they come (IMO).

And I'd agree here - at a certain point I think it's worth stepping back and asking about how much you're spending. I'm reminded of a Pawn Stars episode where the guys are looking at buying a Buick Regal lowrider, and the owner had put like $40,000 into customizing it. The response from one of the Pawn Stars was along the lines of "yeah, and it's cool, but it's still just a Buick Regal..."

And it was indeed a cool car, but at the end of the day it was still a Buick Regal. For the guy who owned it, it was awesome though - and if that's what you want to do, go for it, but if you're trying to get a Mercedes S Class or something like that out of a Buick Regal, I'd think there are more reasonable routes (like just buying the S Class with the money you were gonna use to trick out your Buick).

going to bought grado gr 10 :)

Sweet. Come back and tell us about them! I've been very curious about the Grado IEMs, but I only ever seem to find impressions or reviews of the cheapest model ("iGi" or something like that).

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll try the bowl pads.

I've been thinking of trying to build some c-pads, like this. Do you think this would negatively influence the sound?

I wonder if anyone has done a test on the wood cups. It wouldn't be too difficult, you would just need to have people listen to the plastic cups and identical shaped wood cups while blindfolded, and see if they report any difference.

See, when you mention "c-pad" in that generic context, that's another story altogether. I'm old enough that I still think of the Headphile C-Pad though (which that is basically ripping off). I will tell you that putting the bagels on your Grados will change the sound dramatically (and imho negatively), and that when I tried my SR-225s with various not-Grado pads (mostly just held together by hand for a quick trial) it was not an improvement either. I think with such a modification the best you can hope for is that you don't muck things up too much. :xf_eek: If Grados are really that uncomfortable that you're looking at dramatically re-working them, I'd honestly say it's probably time to consider another headphone. Pads influence the sound pretty heavily (and this is often overlooked or ignored), and if the pad style of whatever can you're using doesn't work for you, that can should probably be written off unless it's a relatively simple modification to get what you want. Otherwise you're generally going to change the cans pretty dramatically in a quest for comfort, and at that point, I'd say just consider other cans.

As far as your "simple test" - wouldn't work from a sciencey perspective. Change-over time is too high, and your listeners would certainly know which was which due to differences in weight, fit, etc (I can tell the RS-1 apart from the GS-1000 apart from the SR-60 apart from the SR-325 etc by fit). I've seen some acoustics measurements on wood versus glass versus metal etc and generally the bottom line is that over a certain frequency they all become reflective (so in the treble region), and under a certain frequency they all become transparent (in the LF region, unless you're talking lots of whatever material). So to an extent there's something to the claim that wood doesn't do much, but then there's FR and CSD data that shows the RS-1 or MS-Pro being fairly distinct from the SR-225 or SR-325; or the Audio-Technica woodies being fairly distinct from the non-woodie AT closed cans. Now I don't think there's any straight-across "this is this headphone just with wood" to compare, but the woodies certainly plot out differently. Here's some examples:

RS-1:
http://www.geocities.jp/ryumatsuba/rs-1.html
SR-225:
http://www.geocities.jp/ryumatsuba/sr-225.html

A900:
http://www.geocities.jp/ryumatsuba/ath-a900.html (I know there is an A1000, but this guy hasn't measured it)
W1000:
http://www.geocities.jp/ryumatsuba/ath-w1000.html

On the surface these should be fairly similar within a given brand, wood cups aside, but they measure differently (which should mean "sound differently" too). How much is the wood? How much is driver difference? How much is geometry difference? Hard to say - but at the bare minimum it's safe to assume that the manufacturers here are putting their primo kit in wood bodies, so even if the wood itself isn't doing anything sonically, the woodie cans are still the higher-end model (in other words if the RS-1 is really just an improved driver and better cup design, and it doesn't matter if it's wood or plastic, that doesn't change that the RS-1 is a great headphone and that I prefer it over the SR-225).

The (S) cushion's that came with your sr60i's can be quarter modded, by cutting a hole in ( I used a half dollar, not a quarter) in the cushion where your ear's rest against, then reversing them onto the driver's, so now you will have a perfect hole around your driver's with the driver's exposed for some more clarity... You may loose a little warmth if you do this, but the clarity is nice IMO.

Yeah, I would agree with this, or just put bowls on them. But either way, opening up that driver is the key.

Jan 6, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #6,017 of 65,633
Quote:
If I'm remembering correctly, the Bellari is not a true OTL - it's a hybrid of sorts. It's been a while since I looked at one though. Bellari specs it to drive loads as low as 16R iirc, which is quite a feat for an OTL (the 12AX7 also doesn't provide anywhere near the output current to match Bellari's power output claims) - there are certainly a number of higher end (very robust) OTLs that can knock that out no problem (like some of the Moth or Eddie Current amps, which cost as much as a used car), but generally speaking the inexpensive OTLs you'll find on eBay or elsewhere (and even the Schiit OTL (by Schiit's own admission)) are not suitable for low Z headphones overall (which includes Grados). In some cases it's actually dangerous for the amplifier, headphones, and user to attempt such a pairing (it can damage the amp and potentially start a fire) - so if you really want OTL for whatever reason, triple-check that the design is safe and stable with the headphones you want to use (and again, the Bellari specs indicate that it is safe for headphones like the Grados). Transformer coupled or hybrid designs will be a completely different question - something like the Woo WA6 (transformer coupled) or the Musical Fidelity hybrids should have no problems as long as you select the right output impedance.

I think you're fine with the iPod and such - they're really quite clean. You have to remember that Apple by and large has a stigma around it, and people are always looking for a way to have "not Apple" products (usually to save a buck), but if you've already got the thing, why bother?
As far as mobile devices being less fidelity oriented - that's a tricky one. The biggest argument/issue is that they don't have tons of voltage swing (which is a limitation of the batteries), but the primary defenses are that they run on batteries, and generally have very stable, low Zout, clean output sections. For Grados I think you're AOK, but if you wanted to hook up a more power hungry or high Z headphone (like an HE-6 or T1) you'd very likely run into some trouble.
Personally, for at-home use, I cannot stand using a PDP (I'm at my computer or stereo for at-home music listening, I don't want to bother with yet another device that has to be charged and that I can't control with the keyboard or stereo's controls) - so I don't do that. But I can certainly see where that isn't everyone's situation (I used to spend time reading for leisure, and would bring a portable CD player and headphones with me out onto the deck or similar - it was quite pleasant; this is just an example of where a portable device makes sense).
Yes and no. You have to remember that musical instruments and loudspeakers (which headphones are subset to) are different beasts. The enclosure certainly DOES matter (the sound does not just come from the drivers - the enclosure makes a big difference). However the material that goes into the enclosure is up for debate - some people will argue that the deader the better (lower resonance, less coloration, etc - this is partly why MDF has become fairly popular among mainstream designers (it'd be too heavy for headphones though), along with more exotic materials (I've seen granite, aluminum, ABS, etc)). The other side will say that having a more "live" cabinet has benefits - Grado Labs themselves seem to fit into this later category. I will say that the RS-1 and GS-1000 certainly sound different (and to me, better) than the Prestige series headphones (which are predominately plastic, except the SR-325 (which itself is distinct imho)). Now, is this the result of the wood? Or the result of different enclosure geometry? Or is Grado using substantially different drivers? Or is it some combination of the above? Personally I'd say the last one is probably the best answer - the cups *are* differently shaped, they *are* a different material (which can make a difference), and there likely *are* differences between the drivers as you move around in the Grado line-up.
As far as throwing $200-$300 of mods onto an SR-60 - I'm going to say that I'm skeptical and somewhat hesitant to do so. Because at the bare minimum you could start out with the SR-225 (which has better driver matching from the factory), but without hearing them first or otherwise having a good idea of what the mods are exactly doing, it's really tough to predict what your outcome is going to be. And in a lot of cases the mods *are* aesthetic (like the not inexpensive leather headbands and all aluminum gimbals and rod locks - that's all aesthetic, sure the rod locks provide some functional improvements, but zipties or collars will do the same thing for a lot less money). Wood cup modifications for headphones are a bit trickier to analyze though; certainly there is a purely aesthetic component to putting very expensive and rare hardwoods on your headphones, but on the other hand, I'm inclined to say that (based on woodies from Audio-Technica and Grado that I've heard), there is something to the wood as a housing.
My best advice would be to track down a pair of RS or GS series cans to audition, and using that information moving forwards. I still think spending the price of the headphones a few times over on mods is silly, but if that's what you wanna do, there's nothing wrong with that (and there are some VERY cool looking art pieces that people have made out of Grado headphones - certainly if you just like woodworking and want to make something one of a kind, I'd say go for it (and come back and tell us about it!)).
Also, I think it's cool that you play the harmonica - it's an instrument that has never made sense to me.
Like bbophead, I'd be interested in your impressions of the LCD-2 as well. And yeah, I've seen the magnetic reel setups on computers and projection systems and they're pretty sweet to sit and watch, and I can imagine it looking pretty slick with my audio equipment too. Question: do RTRs need pre-amps? (I've seen them marketed, but I don't know if they're required or not; I really know nothing about RTR for audio).
And I'd agree here - at a certain point I think it's worth stepping back and asking about how much you're spending. I'm reminded of a Pawn Stars episode where the guys are looking at buying a Buick Regal lowrider, and the owner had put like $40,000 into customizing it. The response from one of the Pawn Stars was along the lines of "yeah, and it's cool, but it's still just a Buick Regal..."
And it was indeed a cool car, but at the end of the day it was still a Buick Regal. For the guy who owned it, it was awesome though - and if that's what you want to do, go for it, but if you're trying to get a Mercedes S Class or something like that out of a Buick Regal, I'd think there are more reasonable routes (like just buying the S Class with the money you were gonna use to trick out your Buick).
Sweet. Come back and tell us about them! I've been very curious about the Grado IEMs, but I only ever seem to find impressions or reviews of the cheapest model ("iGi" or something like that).
See, when you mention "c-pad" in that generic context, that's another story altogether. I'm old enough that I still think of the Headphile C-Pad though (which that is basically ripping off). I will tell you that putting the bagels on your Grados will change the sound dramatically (and imho negatively), and that when I tried my SR-225s with various not-Grado pads (mostly just held together by hand for a quick trial) it was not an improvement either. I think with such a modification the best you can hope for is that you don't muck things up too much.
redface.gif
If Grados are really that uncomfortable that you're looking at dramatically re-working them, I'd honestly say it's probably time to consider another headphone. Pads influence the sound pretty heavily (and this is often overlooked or ignored), and if the pad style of whatever can you're using doesn't work for you, that can should probably be written off unless it's a relatively simple modification to get what you want. Otherwise you're generally going to change the cans pretty dramatically in a quest for comfort, and at that point, I'd say just consider other cans.
As far as your "simple test" - wouldn't work from a sciencey perspective. Change-over time is too high, and your listeners would certainly know which was which due to differences in weight, fit, etc (I can tell the RS-1 apart from the GS-1000 apart from the SR-60 apart from the SR-325 etc by fit). I've seen some acoustics measurements on wood versus glass versus metal etc and generally the bottom line is that over a certain frequency they all become reflective (so in the treble region), and under a certain frequency they all become transparent (in the LF region, unless you're talking lots of whatever material). So to an extent there's something to the claim that wood doesn't do much, but then there's FR and CSD data that shows the RS-1 or MS-Pro being fairly distinct from the SR-225 or SR-325; or the Audio-Technica woodies being fairly distinct from the non-woodie AT closed cans. Now I don't think there's any straight-across "this is this headphone just with wood" to compare, but the woodies certainly plot out differently. Here's some examples:
RS-1:
http://www.geocities.jp/ryumatsuba/rs-1.html
SR-225:
http://www.geocities.jp/ryumatsuba/sr-225.html
A900:
http://www.geocities.jp/ryumatsuba/ath-a900.html (I know there is an A1000, but this guy hasn't measured it)
W1000:
http://www.geocities.jp/ryumatsuba/ath-w1000.html
On the surface these should be fairly similar within a given brand, wood cups aside, but they measure differently (which should mean "sound differently" too). How much is the wood? How much is driver difference? How much is geometry difference? Hard to say - but at the bare minimum it's safe to assume that the manufacturers here are putting their primo kit in wood bodies, so even if the wood itself isn't doing anything sonically, the woodie cans are still the higher-end model (in other words if the RS-1 is really just an improved driver and better cup design, and it doesn't matter if it's wood or plastic, that doesn't change that the RS-1 is a great headphone and that I prefer it over the SR-225).
Yeah, I would agree with this, or just put bowls on them. But either way, opening up that driver is the key.

So in reference to the Bellari HA540,(price wise also) I was also considering purchasing one to drive my 325is's, Im a little confused, would IYO this be a good match for the Grado's? I know you wrote alot on this, but I'm not clear on your final answer.
I currently drive them through my 1990 Adcom GTP-400 pre-amp/tuner, do you think I will benefit from the Bellari or not? Thank you.

Jan 6, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #6,020 of 65,633
So in reference to the Bellari HA540,(price wise also) I was also considering purchasing one to drive my 325is's, Im a little confused, would IYO this be a good match for the Grado's? I know you wrote alot on this, but I'm not clear on your final answer.
I currently drive them through my 1990 Adcom GTP-400 pre-amp/tuner, do you think I will benefit from the Bellari or not? Thank you.

I'm not familiar with the company, personally, so I can't speak to reliability or service concerns. On one hand I like the American design and manufacture, but on the other, everytime I read a Bellari owner's manual I feel like it's yelling at me. So I don't know how to feel about them. My general advice is that spending a lot of money on a headphone amplifier, if you already have competent driving equipment, is not a good investment. I would like to believe that an Adcom of any vintage should fit into "competent" and I fear that I will be shown otherwise at some point.

THAT SAID, the Bellari has a tube in the circuit (even if it's "only" a hybrid, the tube is still in there, and still providing it's coloration), and will impart some of that to the sound - so if you want that, it would be worth considering. Do remember that it's kind of a weird form factor for an amplifier though (most tubed gear in general comes in weird form factors though). I wasn't meaning to condemn the amplifier or the maker though, if that's what you're asking.

Best. Answer. Ever.

Jan 6, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #6,021 of 65,633
Quote:
I'm not familiar with the company, personally, so I can't speak to reliability or service concerns. On one hand I like the American design and manufacture, but on the other, everytime I read a Bellari owner's manual I feel like it's yelling at me. So I don't know how to feel about them. My general advice is that spending a lot of money on a headphone amplifier, if you already have competent driving equipment, is not a good investment. I would like to believe that an Adcom of any vintage should fit into "competent" and I fear that I will be shown otherwise at some point.
THAT SAID, the Bellari has a tube in the circuit (even if it's "only" a hybrid, the tube is still in there, and still providing it's coloration), and will impart some of that to the sound - so if you want that, it would be worth considering. Do remember that it's kind of a weird form factor for an amplifier though (most tubed gear in general comes in weird form factors though). I wasn't meaning to condemn the amplifier or the maker though, if that's what you're asking.
Best. Answer. Ever.

Thank's for your input I appreciate reply. Thank's again!

Jan 7, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #6,024 of 65,633
Hmm, I am by no means an expert on amps, OTL or otherwise, but I am quite sure that my Bellari HA 540 tube amp is absolutely compatible with the Grado RS1 and PS500. I have used it extensively with several 12ax7 tubes with no problems of any kind. I have also used it with AKG Q701's and Sennheiser 598 with great results. It has two inputs - "high" & "low", I use the high with the Grados. I have listened to quite a few amps (and own several myself) - I would put the Bellari up against most of what I've heard. The build quality is quite good also, the only thing I don't like is the cheapo Ruby tube it comes with (but then my Mazda 5751 does add $100 + to the cost). 

Jan 7, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #6,025 of 65,633
The Bellari is a hybrid.  (tube with solid state current buffers).  I have never actually heard one but on paper it should be a good match with Grados.

Jan 7, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #6,026 of 65,633
Just to be clear about the Bellari inputs re: my previous post: the "high" input is designed to be used with sources like iPods and is compatible with USB Dacs, while the low gain input is for cd players and the like. These days I do most of my listening with this setup: iMac>iBasso D7 dac>Bellari HA540 (high input via RCA's)>Grado RS1i or PS500.

Jan 7, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #6,027 of 65,633
Quote:
Just to be clear about the Bellari inputs re: my previous post: the "high" input is designed to be used with sources like iPods and is compatible with USB Dacs, while the low gain input is for cd players and the like. These days I do most of my listening with this setup: iMac>iBasso D7 dac>Bellari HA540 (high input via RCA's)>Grado RS1i or PS500.

I guess there's a mini-jack for the headphones?

Jan 7, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #6,030 of 65,633

Users who are viewing this thread

Back