Grado Fan Club!
Jan 9, 2013 at 1:17 AM Post #6,046 of 65,650
Quote:
Oh I'm quite satisfied with my current player (I have a JVC that I spent a few years to find). I had a Sony ES a while ago though - it wasn't bad sounding, but I certainly wasn't in love with it.

I should have mentioned that I use the Sony as a transport to Meridian 203dac, but also without the dac I've been using Sony's 77/701 for close to 30 year's now and may be very use to their sound, also as to compared to cheaper and newer (more expensive) Sony model's.

Jan 9, 2013 at 1:34 AM Post #6,047 of 65,650
The only Sony CD player that I've ever really gotten pumped up about is the SPCH-1001 (the so-called "Audiophile PlayStation"), and I prefer my current JVC to that as well. This isn't to say the ES components are bad - I just have never gotten really amped up about them I guess. I know it's unrelated to audio directly, but you'd have to pry my Sony VCR and DVD player from my kung-fu grip (I actually almost got my hands on an R1000 a few years ago, but it had some problems so I had to let it go; just seeing the thing was pretty awesome though).

Having said all of this - I tend not to notice very large differences between players in general, so my comments should be taken with an extreme dose of moderation.

Jan 9, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #6,049 of 65,650
Quote:
Plus now, without that nasty computer monitor in the way, I can finally focus on the music.
smily_headphones1.gif

+1

Jan 9, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #6,050 of 65,650
Quote:

Love hearing that! I really think some folks get so caught up in the gear that they forget the whole point of why we buy it :)  

Count me in i just finished listening to a $1 LP of Andy Williams on my old Yamaha YP-D6 that has a $50 AT95e cart on it, and all things considered, it sounded very nice.

Jan 9, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #6,052 of 65,650
Well I received this morning my PS500s and I have been listening quite a bit today.  I am very, very impressed with these.  Some of the best sound I have heard on headphones period.  Right up there with the LCD-3s I fell in love with at the RMAF Can Jam.

They have an incredible amount of resolution but in a musical way.  The highs seem much smoother than my RS-1is.

I will do a comparo with the RS-1i in a few days as I get more break-in time on them.  But I am confident I have found my long term references.

gs1000.gif

Jan 9, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #6,053 of 65,650
Quote:
Well I received this morning my PS500s and I have been listening quite a bit today.  I am very, very impressed with these.  Some of the best sound I have heard on headphones period.  Right up there with the LCD-3s I fell in love with at the RMAF Can Jam.

They have an incredible amount of resolution but in a musical way.  The highs seem much smoother than my RS-1is.

I will do a comparo with the RS-1i in a few days as I get more break-in time on them.  But I am confident I have found my long term references.

gs1000.gif

Please do a comparison with your RS-1i's using acoustic classical piano paying close attention to the range below middle C.

Jan 10, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #6,056 of 65,650
I've owned the ps and 2 sets of hf. the hf's are: a little looser and messier in the bass, but not as unaturally bass prominent (humped), have smoother richer midrange and maybe a little mellower treble. The ps has a big bass hump, somewhat more clinical midrange and treble. Overall that was my impression of the ps/ a little clinical and dry sounding. the hf had a better overall vibe that was richer and warmer while still having that same new grado sound signature of smooth natural upper mids and treble (compared to traditional grado's upper mid treble which is peaky). I enjoyed the Hf's but didn't warm up to the ps although it's a decent phone compared to alot of unatural sounding junk out there. It's still grado'y

Jan 10, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #6,058 of 65,650
up-grado-itis has hit
i recently got some HD650's and AKG Q701's. i feel it would be pretty cool to upgrade my sr225i aswell
i was thinking RS2i or PS500.(or maybe HF2!)
i guess im looking for a tiny bit less treble... yet more detail retrieval, id like to maintain the airyness which i wasnt totally convinced the ps500 had. bass at all isnt really that important..
I've heard the ps500 and gs1000i
Not at all sure how the RS2i compare though. I heard they are pretty similar to the RS1i (so much so the £200 difference isnt justified)
My Hifi headphone store holds all grado models on display except ps1000 and rs2i.
I feel familiar with the Grado line.. i know what im leaning towards at the moment. but id love a second opinion.

Jan 10, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #6,059 of 65,650
Quote:
up-grado-itis has hit
i recently got some HD650's and AKG Q701's. i feel it would be pretty cool to upgrade my sr225i aswell
i was thinking RS2i or PS500.(or maybe HF2!)
i guess im looking for a tiny bit less treble... yet more detail retrieval, id like to maintain the airyness which i wasnt totally convinced the ps500 had. bass at all isnt really that important..
I've heard the ps500 and gs1000i
Not at all sure how the RS2i compare though. I heard they are pretty similar to the RS1i (so much so the £200 difference isnt justified)
My Hifi headphone store holds all grado models on display except ps1000 and rs2i.
I feel familiar with the Grado line.. i know what im leaning towards at the moment. but id love a second opinion.

Had some HD598's, supposedly brighter than 650's.  Veiled.

Had Q701's, not lively like Grados.

I ditched the PS500's because they muddied up acoustic classical piano's lower octaves.  Stuck with the 325is's.  Piano clearer.

Don't know the RS2i.

IMHO, of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back