Grado Fan Club!
Dec 29, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #5,896 of 65,633
 First I have to learn how to send pic's to this forum (if I am allowed) I've only joined this forum recently, if I can I definitly will figure out how to do it and will post a few pic's in the morning for you.

You can actually upload them here (no need to host them externally) - just click the little picture icon in the post reply box, and pick the image(s) you want from your computer. I think you have enough posts to post images (I think you only need like 10 posts).

Very nice! I didn't even think about shaft collars...I remember someone mentioning those a while back but they didn't even cross my mind. Like stacker said, pics are very much encouraged! :D

Hey man, I suggested zipties. Shaft collars is a prettier way to do it indeed. :)

Dec 29, 2012 at 1:32 AM Post #5,897 of 65,633
Quote:
Hey man, I suggested zipties. 

That you did! 
biggrin.gif

Dec 29, 2012 at 6:36 AM Post #5,898 of 65,633
Have iGrados and some SR325s . Started with SR80s which I got in a hi fi shop in Leicester back in 1998. Passed them onto my cousin who now has SR80i's . Great sound from all that I've listened to. Only problem.....comfort. Use Audio Technica AD700s for long time listening.

Dec 29, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #5,899 of 65,633
Sorry guy's, I understand how to send the pic's onto my post (thank's for the tip) but I have an old IBM think pad laptop wich doe's not accept the card from the camera, also I don't have the cable to plug in direct.To (STACKER45), there is no problem with the headphone's laying flat with the collar's on at all, I also only lay mine flat, they are not in the way at all, the driver's are still able to rotate 360 degree's, they do not restrict at all. Will try to pick up a cable from the electronic's store in the near future and send some pic's, the collar's look like they belong on the rod's from the factory. If I remember the hole deal cost under 5$ U.S, really work's out well.

If you search on BING (shaft collar's) image's will come up of the one's I used, I used the one piece collar's with the single set screw, so at least you can see the collar's. 

Dec 29, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #5,900 of 65,633
Anyone tried or thinking of trying the Schiit Magni?

http://schiit.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=13

Looks like a great match for Grados with 1.2W at 32 ohms and output impedance of less than 0.1 ohms.

Dec 29, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #5,901 of 65,633
I use zip ties. One advantage of zips over set screw collars is that you can still adjust the size without loosening the set screws. Also if you catch the cable on something the zips will slide up the gimbal rod and not stress the cable/driver connection. You can also leave a little extra zip length when you trim which will contact the headband and stop the cups from spinning around. Cheap, strong and light!

Dec 29, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #5,902 of 65,633
Anyone tried or thinking of trying the Schiit Magni?

http://schiit.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=13

Looks like a great match for Grados with 1.2W at 32 ohms and output impedance of less than 0.1 ohms.

Can't say I have - I know from talking to Jason that the Asgard (at least at the time) is/was the only amp he had that he would suggest for Grados. I'm sure you could e-mail them and ask about the Magni though - I'm guessing they'll give it the okay (Grados don't need much to drive them - 1.2W is like hooking them up to a supercollider!).

I can say, however, that the Musical Fidelity V-CAN-II is a fantastic choice, and I think one of the other chaps in here has an older version of the Musical Fidelity headamp and enjoys his as well. The hi-fi shop that used to be near me suggested one of the X-CAN amps for Grados "in the day" as well - I don't know if there's anything to Musical Fidelity and Grado, but it wouldn't surprise me at all.

Dec 29, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #5,903 of 65,633
Quote:
I use zip ties. One advantage of zips over set screw collars is that you can still adjust the size without loosening the set screws. Also if you catch the cable on something the zips will slide up the gimbal rod and not stress the cable/driver connection. You can also leave a little extra zip length when you trim which will contact the headband and stop the cups from spinning around. Cheap, strong and light!

Also the cable going inside the cup/driver is also zip tied to prevent you from pulling the cable off of the driver's. I like the idea that your method prevent's the driver's from spinning all the way around, I'm currently thinking about a solution myself to allow the driver's to move abouy 100 degree's so I can place them down flat when not in use, and when I use them they still have enough movement to shape my head without being restricted. BTW I never let my cup's spin at all, the cable is staight as a pin, I put them on/off the same way everytime from day one. I'm the only person who listen's to my headphone's, so they are treated with great care..

Dec 29, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #5,905 of 65,633
Just ordered a pair of PS500s from a local dealer.  Should have them within two weeks.  I've been listening to the demo pair a lot and I am impressed.

Dec 29, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #5,906 of 65,633
Quote:
Just ordered a pair of PS500s from a local dealer.  Should have them within two weeks.  I've been listening to the demo pair a lot and I am impressed.

How is the sound signature, from what I read they are the grado with the most bass, but are the mid's foward like the SR/RS model's and how are the high's, sounstage, and clarity, are they warm with vocal's? Just curious I've never heard them. Thank's.

Dec 29, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #5,907 of 65,633
Quote:
How is the sound signature, from what I read they are the grado with the most bass, but are the mid's foward like the SR/RS model's and how are the high's, sounstage, and clarity, are they warm with vocal's? Just curious I've never heard them. Thank's.

Well I need to spend some time with the new pair on my own gear.  However, initial impressions are more detail, more openness, good bass, and smooth highs.  But the clencher for me is a nice midrange.  Just glorious in the mids.

Dec 30, 2012 at 12:18 AM Post #5,909 of 65,633
Quote:
Thank you, like I said I was just curious to know if they had the grado signature and what your thought's were. Enjoy them when you recieve them good listening. Thank's.

Thanks, I will post more specific comments once they break in.

Dec 30, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #5,910 of 65,633
Quote:
Sorry guy's, I understand how to send the pic's onto my post (thank's for the tip) but I have an old IBM think pad laptop wich doe's not accept the card from the camera, also I don't have the cable to plug in direct.To (STACKER45), there is no problem with the headphone's laying flat with the collar's on at all, I also only lay mine flat, they are not in the way at all, the driver's are still able to rotate 360 degree's, they do not restrict at all. Will try to pick up a cable from the electronic's store in the near future and send some pic's, the collar's look like they belong on the rod's from the factory. If I remember the hole deal cost under 5$ U.S, really work's out well.

If you search on BING (shaft collar's) image's will come up of the one's I used, I used the one piece collar's with the single set screw, so at least you can see the collar's. 

I imagine that laying the headphones flat is not a problem, but i like to have my headphones on stands, but with the PS1000 weight, that's asking for trouble

Users who are viewing this thread

Back