Grado Fan Club!
Nov 10, 2012 at 1:35 AM Post #5,506 of 65,787
Quote:
On the SR-325, the 325is were never available in gold; the color variations also indicate model changes (SR-325i were done in gold as a 50th anniversary thing, 325is exist in both matte and chrome). However a lot of retailers seem to have not changed their stock images with Grado's latest revisions - it's only been what? 3 years?
tongue.gif

I wish I knew that before I wasted my time and ordered them off Amazon through the seller 4ourears... I thought I was getting the gold ones (as displayed in the stock photo) but I was sent the silver ones, which I thought looked cheap as hell. I probably would have kept the chrome ones if I were sent those..  Just a tip to anyone reading this looking to get 325is.. MAKE SURE YOU CALL the seller before purchasing to make sure you get the color you want. 

Nov 10, 2012 at 1:50 AM Post #5,507 of 65,787
I wish I knew that before I wasted my time and ordered them off Amazon through the seller 4ourears... I thought I was getting the gold ones (as displayed in the stock photo) but I was sent the silver ones, which I thought looked cheap as hell. I probably would have kept the chrome ones if I were sent those..  Just a tip to anyone reading this looking to get 325is.. MAKE SURE YOU CALL the seller before purchasing to make sure you get the color you want. 

The "gold ones" are not made anymore, and have not been for years. They are not available in multiple colors; they're different models entirely. From my understanding, 4ourears is an authorized dealer as well - so you were getting a legitimate product. If you want the "goldies" (which are VERY bright headphones), you'll have to shop used. From user reviews, the 325is are somewhat toned down over the "goldies" though.

Regarding the RS-1 for mobile use - the wood will not survive substantial abuse (the pads may come apart, but they're inexpensive to replace). The metal gimbals and headband will probably stay together, but if you bang on the wood too hard it will likely crack or pit. So, I'd suggest looking for a hardcase to truck them around in - it will probably save them (and your wallet) a lot of grief (unless you're wearing them while working out or something, I would suspect the highest potential for damage isn't going to be while you're wearing them, but while you're transporting them (e.g. if you throw them in your briefcase)). Unfortunately Grado (to my knowledge) doesn't make such a case, and the only hard-cases I'm aware of (from Ultrasone, Bose, or Koss) all have custom fitting that will get into the way of the cans (in theory you could modify the innards to accommodate them though). Alternately, Pelican Cases are a popular choice, but they're a bit bulky...

Nov 10, 2012 at 8:56 AM Post #5,509 of 65,787
Guys, I am ready to buy an amp and DAC for my PS500. What do you guys recommend ? Budget is only $200. I am looking at FIIO E17 , but I heard that the E19 might be out by Dec 2012?

I prefer hooking it up to my GEN 5.5 Ipod or an Ipad 2 and wirelessly stream the music using Itunes Home sharing features. (I will be listening to this setup 90% of the time)

With the other 10% , I will be listening from the iMac desktop that needs a better DAC.

I am also intrigue with the tube amp rolling....:D. Is there a way to hook a a tube amp for ipod or Ipad2 ? I wonder if the PS500s with tube amp will sound more less intimate or less brighter?

I need someting to brightens up the PS5000s.

Will a FIIO LOD be able to bypass ipod DAC ? Though the DAC on my Ipod Gen5 is Wolfson WM87588G , I wonder if FIIO wolfson DAC is better than what I already have. So I guess I just need an amp?

I am still confuse which one to get...:)

Nov 10, 2012 at 11:38 AM Post #5,510 of 65,787
Quote:
Guys, I am ready to buy an amp and DAC for my PS500. What do you guys recommend ? Budget is only $200. I am looking at FIIO E17 , but I heard that the E19 might be out by Dec 2012?
I prefer hooking it up to my GEN 5.5 Ipod or an Ipad 2 and wirelessly stream the music using Itunes Home sharing features. (I will be listening to this setup 90% of the time)
With the other 10% , I will be listening from the iMac desktop that needs a better DAC.
I am also intrigue with the tube amp rolling....
biggrin.gif
. Is there a way to hook a a tube amp for ipod or Ipad2 ? I wonder if the PS500s with tube amp will sound more less intimate or less brighter?
I need someting to brightens up the PS5000s.
Will a FIIO LOD be able to bypass ipod DAC ? Though the DAC on my Ipod Gen5 is Wolfson WM87588G , I wonder if FIIO wolfson DAC is better than what I already have. So I guess I just need an amp?
I am still confuse which one to get...
smily_headphones1.gif

If you want to amplify from both an ipod/ipad and your Mac, you want to use a LOD cable for your ipod/pad and a USB DAC from your MAC. As such get an DAC/amp with both a line in for your ipod/pad and a usb input for your PC.

The ipod LOD will bypass the amp in your ipod/pad, but use the ipad/pod's DAC. If you want to bypass the ipod/ipad DAC you need a more sophisticated dock to pull just the digital info from your ipod/pad.

IMO the budget entry level products sound similar and you should purchase on price and features.
After you select an AMP/DAC then pick you LOD cable so you know if you need 3.5mm mini or RCA jacks

Nov 10, 2012 at 11:43 AM Post #5,511 of 65,787
Quote:
Isn't chrome the current version? Matte only existed for a little while iirc.

The early 325, black and silver, were anodized aluminum.
The 325i was gold anodized aluminum.
The first 325is was brushed (or matte) silver and also anodized. 
Then around 2011 Grado changed from anodizing and hence the recent different and inconsistent finishes.
325is in chrome are rare. This finish did not work in terms of consistency or durability and they stopped chrome 325is pretty quickly (3 months).
Variations of this expensive chrome finish is still used on the PS1000 which is why they have inconsistent finish.
The current 325is  (and PS500) are powder-coated aluminum. Powder coating is consistent, inexpensive and durable, but not as elegant as anodizing or chrome.

Nov 10, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #5,512 of 65,787
Isn't chrome the current version? Matte only existed for a little while iirc.

The early 325, black and silver, were anodized aluminum.
The 325i was gold anodized aluminum.
The first 325is was brushed (or matte) silver and also anodized. 
Then around 2011 Grado changed from anodizing and hence the recent different and inconsistent finishes.
325is in chrome are rare. This finish did not work in terms of consistency or durability and they stopped chrome 325is pretty quickly (3 months).
Variations of this expensive chrome finish is still used on the PS1000 which is why they have inconsistent finish.
The current 325is  (and PS500) are powder-coated aluminum. Powder coating is consistent, inexpensive and durable, but not as elegant as anodizing or chrome.

quote never realized the outers on the black ones were aluminum. iI wish they were stillanodized. I also thought the ps500was anodized. thanks for the info.

Nov 10, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #5,513 of 65,787
Quote:
quote never realized the outers on the black ones were aluminum. iI wish they were stillanodized. I also thought the ps500was anodized. thanks for the info.

black is beautiful, baby.
the black aluminum cups on the 325 are larger (deeper)  than the plastic cups on the 125/225 which were launched at the same time - hence the bigger/better sound.
these were the top Grados at the time (1993ish) as they precede the first RS1

Nov 10, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #5,514 of 65,787
Quote:
Quote:

black is beautiful, baby.
the black aluminum cups on the 325 are larger (deeper)  than the plastic cups on the 125/225 which were launched at the same time - hence the bigger/better sound.
these were the top Grados at the time (1993ish) as they precede the first RS1

Oh, wow, I didn't realize all that. They also had the HP1000 drivers, right?

Nov 10, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #5,515 of 65,787
Quote:
Oh, wow, I didn't realize all that. They also had the HP1000 drivers, right?

The black 325 had mixed drivers - some HP1000, some pink transitional and some white. 
They were launched when Grado was transitioning from outsourcing the HP1000 drivers to 'making' their own drivers.
Mine are pink - you can see a little of the color in the background - and they are my favorite John Grados.

Nov 10, 2012 at 1:50 PM Post #5,516 of 65,787
The chrome were quite beautiful, I had the chance to put my hands on one of them when I was looking for a sr325is to buy, I decided  for the powder aluminium because of the alleged production problems they had and because they were a newer version. The RS-1 are stunning, I think it's the most beautiful Grado, but in terms of overall sound quality I noticed, taking into consideration all the comments, they are comparable to de the PS500, there is kind of a dispute between these two cans going on.

Nov 10, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #5,517 of 65,787
Sorry for the OT post, but has there always been a daily limit of 15 private messages on here? I just logged on and went to respond to some of mine, but it's not letting me. Im pretty sure I've sent more than 15 in a day previously....anyone else experienced this?

Nov 10, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #5,518 of 65,787

SHHHH. Remain ignorant - you'll get him to post more pictures of his BEAUTIFUL SR-325 for educational purposes. :D:D:D

Sorry for the OT post, but has there always been a daily limit of 15 private messages on here? I just logged on and went to respond to some of mine, but it's not letting me. Im pretty sure I've sent more than 15 in a day previously....anyone else experienced this?

Nah, I'll refer you here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/635644/15-pm-day-limit-for-long-standing-member-with-no-issues

Nov 10, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #5,519 of 65,787
Quote:
Quote:

SHHHH. Remain ignorant - you'll get him to post more pictures of his BEAUTIFUL SR-325 for educational purposes.
biggrin.gif
:D:D

I would actually really appreciate that. This is the first I ever heard those were all aluminum. From afar, they look just like the lower models, but now that you post close ups, the really impressive details become apparent. Also, I'm sort of confused about the progression of Joe Grado models. Between the HP1/2/1i/2i, etc. Also, the distinctions between all of the other models, the 100, 125, 200, 225, 300, 325, and would love more info.

Nov 10, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #5,520 of 65,787
I would actually really appreciate that. This is the first I ever heard those were all aluminum. From afar, they look just like the lower models, but now that you post close ups, the really impressive details become apparent. Also, I'm sort of confused about the progression of Joe Grado models. Between the HP1/2/1i/2i, etc. Also, the distinctions between all of the other models, the 100, 125, 200, 225, 300, 325, and would love more info.

The "i" is a recent thing from Joe Grado afaiu - as in if you have an HP1 today you can send it to Joe and get it upgraded into an "i."

Regarding the rest:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/616052/full-grado-labs-history

Users who are viewing this thread

Back