Grado Fan Club!
Nov 5, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #5,416 of 65,523
Quote:
It is the headphone lounge headband, and the rest of the headband assembly is from Martin Custom Audio, including the metal headband insert. I simply put that together, and moved the earcups over from the original Grado headband assembly, so I can change them back to stock in minutes.

Smart. I've heard of Martin Custom Audio, but never seen the website, so thanks for the motivation to go check them out. Metal gimbals certainly have to be low on any sane list of things I *need* in my life...so, why I do want them so badly?

Nov 5, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #5,417 of 65,523
Quote:
Quote:
It is the headphone lounge headband, and the rest of the headband assembly is from Martin Custom Audio, including the metal headband insert. I simply put that together, and moved the earcups over from the original Grado headband assembly, so I can change them back to stock in minutes.

Smart. I've heard of Martin Custom Audio, but never seen the website, so thanks for the motivation to go check them out. Metal gimbals certainly have to be low on any sane list of things I *need* in my life...so, why I do want them so badly?

I really wish I could put his rodblocks on my Magnums, the cups are heavy and the rodblocks are starting to separate, but alas, there is no way to get the rod tips off...

Nov 5, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #5,418 of 65,523
I really wish I could put his rodblocks on my Magnums, the cups are heavy and the rodblocks are starting to separate, but alas, there is no way to get the rod tips off...

The little plastic ones from Grado? Or an aftermarket?

And there's always a way - it just depends how determined you are...:D

Nov 5, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #5,419 of 65,523
Quote:

Try a hair dryer on the rod tips - I'm sure they'll loosen and slip off when heated / expanded.

Nov 5, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #5,420 of 65,523
Quote:
Quote:

Try a hair dryer on the rod tips - I'm sure they'll loosen and slip off when heated / expanded.

They're Rhydon's rod tips (made of aluminum and attached using some crazy epoxy that is not removable)... he suggested cutting the rod... I'll wait until the rod blocks break (who knows, maybe they never will), then figure it out. I'm thinking a bit of gorilla glue may be all it takes to keep them from separating.

Nov 5, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #5,421 of 65,523
oh if im able to get a Grado RS1i or RS2i, my dream cans

i will definitely scream out "Thats Mahogany dude" if unsuspecting people try to snatch and manhandle them

Nov 6, 2012 at 3:46 AM Post #5,423 of 65,523
Quote:
Does anyone know where i could buy pads for my Grado SR 225? Is anyone willing to sell them or is there any shop that could ship to Slovenia?

Thanks!!!

Are they on Amazon for you? I know in the States, there are about 100 sellers on Amazon. Otherwise, try ebay?
You may have to get the ones that are copies, as Grado isn't always very fond of their stuff being shipped outside the country (from authorized sellers).

Nov 6, 2012 at 4:29 AM Post #5,424 of 65,523
Quote:
That must be a very good dealer you have in your area...It's really nice when you can audition the different headphones one after the other before you buy. That's a big reason why I'm planning to buy locally from now on since I have a Grado dealer only 15mi from my home. Hope you enjoy those 500s!

Yeh true, that's why I try to keep to local shops when shopping audio related stuff, because the chance to test out and experience at the shop is something I would like to keep available. The 500's have been excellent so far, though I do miss the mids when on the piano. Well, maybe getting a small headphone amp with either a graphic eq or then mid bump would solve it.

Nov 6, 2012 at 5:33 AM Post #5,425 of 65,523
Can anyone recommend an amplifier/DAC combination or seperate devices for around $400 total, to pair with the PS500s? I've been looking at the O2+ODAC, aswell as the TEAC UDH-01 (mixed opinions on that one), but can't seem to settle as there's always one thing people dislike, makes a decision difficult. Size does not matter (home use), however I'd need USB input or spdif.

Nov 6, 2012 at 6:53 AM Post #5,426 of 65,523
Can anyone recommend an amplifier/DAC combination or seperate devices for around $400 total, to pair with the PS500s? I've been looking at the O2+ODAC, aswell as the TEAC UDH-01 (mixed opinions on that one), but can't seem to settle as there's always one thing people dislike, makes a decision difficult. Size does not matter (home use), however I'd need USB input or spdif.

I don't know specifically for the PS-500, but the Musical Fidelity V-CAN-II is something I can recommend very highly (it plays nice with the RS-1, but then again, everything does!). VERY quiet amplifier, and that's basically the selling point imho. Perfect channel tracking (at least on mine), no bg noise, it's just completely out of the way of the signal. And that seems to work pretty well with the RS-1 (and any other dynamic can I've tried). So I assume it would work out very nicely with the PS-500.

I think Little Dot amps are also popular, but I haven't tried one.

Regarding the D/A converter - what are you hooking it up to? A computer? Can you just add a soundcard to this computer? Would be a lot cheaper, get you more options, and so on. In fact, I noticed that the X-Fi HD USB is back in stock on Amazon, and I would probably just get that either way (you get DAC, it has a headamp (no idea on quality/features/etc), phono preamp, DSP features, etc - it's like $80 too, very good deal!), and the V-CAN will bring you to just under $300. :D

Nov 6, 2012 at 8:39 AM Post #5,427 of 65,523
Quote:
Quote:

I don't know specifically for the PS-500, but the Musical Fidelity V-CAN-II is something I can recommend very highly (it plays nice with the RS-1, but then again, everything does!). VERY quiet amplifier, and that's basically the selling point imho. Perfect channel tracking (at least on mine), no bg noise, it's just completely out of the way of the signal. And that seems to work pretty well with the RS-1 (and any other dynamic can I've tried). So I assume it would work out very nicely with the PS-500.

I think Little Dot amps are also popular, but I haven't tried one.

Regarding the D/A converter - what are you hooking it up to? A computer? Can you just add a soundcard to this computer? Would be a lot cheaper, get you more options, and so on. In fact, I noticed that the X-Fi HD USB is back in stock on Amazon, and I would probably just get that either way (you get DAC, it has a headamp (no idea on quality/features/etc), phono preamp, DSP features, etc - it's like $80 too, very good deal!), and the V-CAN will bring you to just under $300.
biggrin.gif

IME, the PS500 is slightly (1-2dB?) more efficient than the 325is making it even easier to drive.

Nov 6, 2012 at 8:53 AM Post #5,428 of 65,523
IME, the PS500 is slightly (1-2dB?) more efficient than the 325is making it even easier to drive.

We can surely see if that's been tested...:)

And survey says:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/GradoPS500.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/GradoSR325i.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/GradoRS1.pdf

PS-500 looks substantially more sensitive! (it's 7.4 times more sensitive, which is not quite 10 dB (10x))

I still vote V-CAN - it does just as well with my more sensitive Audio Technicas, and still remains dead quiet and properly tracked. The thing you have to remember with more sensitive headphones is that they're more likely to let you know about noise or tracking errors within your chain, so it's a blessing and a curse. Thankfully the PS-500 aren't also some insanely low impedance, like 5 ohms, so they likely aren't going to attune you parcel-tongue, but it's still worth thinking about as you look at amplifiers.

Nov 6, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #5,430 of 65,523
Thankyou for the suggestions obobskivich, I am using my computer as the main source of files but I would prefer an external DAC, I'll have a look into the V-CAN-II, it is quite affordable and I could easily pair it with an ODAC as the DAC!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back