Grado Fan Club!
Oct 27, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #5,206 of 65,633
Quote:

IMO, the RS1 is the best Grado I've heard. The PS500s and HF-2s are a close second IMO. 

My experience as well with the exception of the PS1000 which I like slightly better.  I have only limited time on the HF-2s though.

Oct 27, 2012 at 7:06 PM Post #5,208 of 65,633
Quote:

Do you have a vinyl rig as well? I'm starting to gather some info and considering adding a turntable. I grew up just as vinyl sort of gave way to the cassette tape, so I feel like I missed out on how cool it was to be excited about picking up a new album and listentin to it on an analog rig in it's entirety. Today it seems like it's all about the individual track....but I want to go backwards a bit and enjoy some of the classic albums that I haven't spent much time with....back when the art wasn't just limited to a track, but to the entire release...that just seems fun to me. But for all my other music I just couldnt' see ever going back to a stand alone player again....

I just did a ton of research as I want a vinyl setup by Christmas. I can't wait. I've already picked up a few albums, and there's just something special about holding them in your hands, the weight, the feel, it's just great.

Oct 27, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #5,209 of 65,633
Quote:

I just did a ton of research as I want a vinyl setup by Christmas. I can't wait. I've already picked up a few albums, and there's just something special about holding them in your hands, the weight, the feel, it's just great.

i want a Vinyl Home rig too...

only maybe someday in my personal future..

Oct 27, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #5,210 of 65,633
Quote:

Quote:
i want a Vinyl Home rig too...

I bought my first CD player in 1984 when my local college music store only had two rows of non-classical CDs to choose from. It's always interesting to hear these kind of remarks when you are someone who has no interest in going back to vinyl 
smile.gif

Oct 27, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #5,211 of 65,633
Quote:

I'm excited to have more reason to send Grado some money lol. I sent off an email to Grado last week asking them which of their cartridges they recommended for a newb, and also to see if they would actually make some turntable suggestions. You could tell so clearly from the email that they LOVE vinyl at Grado...they wrote me a relatively lengthy email back and gave me exactly what I asked for. I'm going to pick up a table for around $3-400 and then pick up a Grado "Black" cartridge to start. I'll probably not worry about a phono stage at first, and will just use an Onkyo receiver I have sitting around, but I think I'll be getting started around Christmas time, too....we'll have to compare notes since we're both on the same trajectory here

Oct 27, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #5,213 of 65,633
Quote:
Focker, I hope you've led me in the right direction (PS500s), all this RS-1 talk is getting me worried! I'm in shipping limbo and already having second thought.

If i can reassure you somewhat,i compared both,and chose to keep the PS500s.

Oct 28, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #5,215 of 65,633
Quote:
Focker, I hope you've led me in the right direction (PS500s), all this RS-1 talk is getting me worried! I'm in shipping limbo and already having second thought.

lol, I hope so too! I really don't think you can go wrong with either....with your luck, though, maybe they'll send you PS1000s instead lol....wasn't that you with the whole HE-6 instead of HE-400s from Hifiman a while back? Or is my brain not functioning? 

Oct 28, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #5,216 of 65,633
Quote:

If i can reassure you somewhat,i compared both,and chose to keep the PS500s.

Just like if I was FORCED to choose between the GS1ks and the 500s, I'd keep the 500s. Ive really become fond of the woodies, but the 500s just are a slightly better match for my ears. I still want to pick up a pair of RS-2s or RS-1s, though. I enjoy having a little collection of Grados....I sort of regret selling my 325s, but once the 500s showed up they just didn't really get much head time. 

Oct 28, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #5,218 of 65,633
I enjoy having a little collection of Grados....I sort of regret selling my 325s, but once the 500s showed up they just didn't really get much head time. 

Same reason I don't have the SR-225 and others, it'd be neat to have, but I know they wouldn't stack up with the RS-1 around - very little usage. On one hand I like that Grado designs are so consistent in sound and improvement up the ladder, but on the other it kinda kills the whole collection thing (unless you get into the historical side of things).

Oct 28, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #5,219 of 65,633
Quote:
Same reason I don't have the SR-225 and others, it'd be neat to have, but I know they wouldn't stack up with the RS-1 around - very little usage. On one hand I like that Grado designs are so consistent in sound and improvement up the ladder, but on the other it kinda kills the whole collection thing (unless you get into the historical side of things).

I agree...I sort of decided that I was going to keep the 80s as the "representative" from the Prestige line, and then fill out my collection with either RS-x model, the 500s, and the 1k models. I think that would be a hell of a nice little collection that I'd be proud to have, and I think they're different enough toward that end of the Grado line that I could have some fun mixing and swapping them out. The PS1ks will have to wait a while, but I'm perfectly fine with that...

Oct 28, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #5,220 of 65,633
Quote:
I have just surrendered to the fact I will have one of every Grado offering and then move on to collecting more closed cans

Those RS-1s and GS1ks sure are photogenic, aren't they? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back