Grado Fan Club!
Oct 21, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #5,072 of 65,607
Quote:
I really like the pic.
Is it the camera or the operator? What camera are you using?

Hey thanks!  It just one of my few hobbies.  I think, it`s got to be both.  
biggrin.gif
  The camera is a Sony NEX5N and I used Adobe Lightroom 3 for post processing.   I am loving the 325is so far!   

Oct 21, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #5,073 of 65,607
Great pic!

Oct 21, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #5,074 of 65,607
Nice! What are you using for a stand? 

Oct 22, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #5,075 of 65,607
I am a big fan too, I like fast, detail transparent sound so Grado is definitely something I will like. I went to audit Senn HD25-1 II and wasn't impressed with and I saw Grado SR225i hanging nearby so I tried it and love it.

Soon I got myself an Alessandro MS1i and later a used MS2i.

I am using Teclast T51 as source and a clone RA1 as amp. I have been using for maybe a year or 2 and with many other source, headphone/IME/earphone I think nothing make me want to use any more.

I am also no longer interested in other phones... maybe other than the MS-Pro hohoo.

The clone RA1 is quite nicely made and cost only $30. RA1 design is so simple and I'm quite sure the clone sound just as well. I love the clone RA1 too.

Oct 22, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #5,077 of 65,607
Oct 22, 2012 at 7:55 AM Post #5,078 of 65,607
There were some posts in the Audiophile thread about Grado and someone mentioned a possible change in driver mass. Is this a recent/known change? What is the significance of this change? http://www.head-fi.org/t/544391/you-know-youre-an-audiophile-when/3825#post_8797204

Not sure, I know Grado reported to have improved/modified the drivers. But they're very tight-lipped about specifics, as usual. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with proprietary manufacturing processes or features that are only protected as trade secrets, and not patented (because if you patent it, everyone gets to read exactly what you're doing). There's also the speculation that they've changed drivers a few times, due to materials availability (and Grado isn't the only company to have made comments along those lines - Beyerdynamic has also mentioned that materials scarcity influences design and mass-manufacture of headphones pretty heavily, at least moreso than I think most people would assume).

I think the "official" line is that the "i" Grados are better than the previous parts they replaced, but it's entirely plausible they're more of a "trade-off" - they fix one issue and create another in its place. Which is not an uncommon problem when you go about "bettering" things. I don't know if this is specifically true, but it would at least be plausible. Overall I wouldn't dwell too much - Grado is fairly consistent in providing their products, and I don't see them making a dramatic transition to the active-noise cancellation celebrifone market anytime soon. So any changes they introduce to the line-up are likely minor in the grand scheme of things, and probably more out of necessity than profit-minded-ness.

Oct 22, 2012 at 8:15 AM Post #5,079 of 65,607
I decided to post my question here instead of making a new thread. I listened to a pair of ps1000 the other day and loved them. I can't afford them but I have a chance to buy a used pair of rs2i. do the rs2I sound similar? Any comparations would be good. also are the pads the same style/size. I loved the ps1000 pads compared to my ms1i flat pads.
Thanks guys

Oct 22, 2012 at 10:33 AM Post #5,081 of 65,607
Quote:
Not sure, I know Grado reported to have improved/modified the drivers. But they're very tight-lipped about specifics, as usual. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with proprietary manufacturing processes or features that are only protected as trade secrets, and not patented (because if you patent it, everyone gets to read exactly what you're doing). There's also the speculation that they've changed drivers a few times, due to materials availability (and Grado isn't the only company to have made comments along those lines - Beyerdynamic has also mentioned that materials scarcity influences design and mass-manufacture of headphones pretty heavily, at least moreso than I think most people would assume).
I think the "official" line is that the "i" Grados are better than the previous parts they replaced, but it's entirely plausible they're more of a "trade-off" - they fix one issue and create another in its place. Which is not an uncommon problem when you go about "bettering" things. I don't know if this is specifically true, but it would at least be plausible. Overall I wouldn't dwell too much - Grado is fairly consistent in providing their products, and I don't see them making a dramatic transition to the active-noise cancellation celebrifone market anytime soon. So any changes they introduce to the line-up are likely minor in the grand scheme of things, and probably more out of necessity than profit-minded-ness.

Thanks, Obob.Just wasn't sure of the possibility of running production changes.

Oct 22, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #5,082 of 65,607
I am sorry to complain but I have to say that Grado in not friendly with bald people... This is my head after 30+ minutes of wearing my SR225i. It HURTS!
I really, reaaaaally like the sound, but that's definitively something I would not expect from a pair of $200. I am debating with myself if I want to keep them and get an aftermarket headband (I am not a DIYer), or if I want to sell them and get something more comfortable. I just don't want to end up investing $300+ on a pair of $200 headphones (Headphones $200 + Adapter $14 + Headband $50 + estimated shipping and taxes for the accessories to C.R. $40).

I have tried every adjust you can imagine, but the more I loosen it, the more time I have to spend adjusting. My workaround solution for the moment is to place handkerchief between my head and the headband (I am not going to post a picture of that).

Oct 22, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #5,084 of 65,607
Quote:
I am sorry to complain but I have to say that Grado in not friendly with bald people... This is my head after 30+ minutes of wearing my SR225i. It HURTS!
I really, reaaaaally like the sound, but that's definitively something I would not expect from a pair of $200. I am debating with myself if I want to keep them and get an aftermarket headband (I am not a DIYer), or if I want to sell them and get something more comfortable. I just don't want to end up investing $300+ on a pair of $200 headphones (Headphones $200 + Adapter $14 + Headband $50 + estimated shipping and taxes for the accessories to C.R. $40).

I have tried every adjust you can imagine, but the more I loosen it, the more time I have to spend adjusting. My workaround solution for the moment is to place handkerchief between my head and the headband (I am not going to post a picture of that).

Try with the the handkerchief for awhile and see if that really helps. Also, have you cleaned the headband? My concern is that you get a new headphone and the problem persists because of some environment factor that we didn't think of.

There are so many variables to consider - although the simplest explanation is the headband and material.

Oct 22, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #5,085 of 65,607

Users who are viewing this thread

Back