Grado Fan Club!
Oct 9, 2012 at 1:20 AM Post #4,831 of 65,787
Quote:

That's about how long it took for me (10 hrs) to get used to the sr325 stock pads. I did go through the process of washing them which seems to rinse away some of the abrasive particles.

I've already used them for more than 10 hours, and they're still uncomfortable (didn't try the rinse thing)
Regarding the G-cush, I would like to try, but they're too pricey
Anyway, they sound really so great that I guess I can live with this

Oct 9, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #4,832 of 65,787
Quote:
I've already used them for more than 10 hours, and they're still uncomfortable (didn't try the rinse thing)
Regarding the G-cush, I would like to try, but they're too pricey
Anyway, they sound really so great that I guess I can live with this

Check out this post on cleaning grado pads

Oct 9, 2012 at 9:11 AM Post #4,833 of 65,787
Grado hit the sweet spot on the SR225i if you want a hint off bass in your listening experience. When I said bass , not something like the VModa M80 which is still not a basshead unit. The bass on the SR225 or any Grados below the PS500 does not have that bass impact. But for sure SR225i has the most bass than the rest of from SR325i and below.

Oct 9, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #4,834 of 65,787
You aren't the only one to say this. MalVeauX has said pretty much the same thing (and more than once; I've seen him talk about this several times). If the drivers are equivalent, and the only difference is the metal grating on the back (which would affect soundstage) and the pads, then I'd probably be happy with the SR80is with the different pads. 

Are the drivers the same? I remember reading that they are for the SR60i and SR80i, but I though the SR225i has the driver from the SR125i? Too much to learn :smile:

I was on my phone when posting yesterday, but yes I was going to tell you to try L-Cush as well. It isn't quite as good, but it's much cheaper. :xf_eek:

And no, the drivers aren't the same. Ignoring that they measure differently and sound different, Focker actually contacted Grado a while ago (a few days ago) to ask about this based on another thread, and they responded saying they do not use the same driver for all of their headphones.

SR-225 is the best choice, but if you're hard up for cash, L-Cush would be worth experimenting with. On the other hand, if you get the 225, you can throw L-Cush on the SR-80 to see what I'm talking about, and decide if you want to keep the 225 or not. When I did this comparison with the SR-60, the SR-60 were gifted away, the SR-225 stayed. :)

Better driver matching, better enclosure, and the upgraded drivers make all the difference imho. Once you go RS you never go back. :D (the GS and PS are more of a different flavor, but not "upgrades" imho - the "king of the Grado sound" is the RS-1 as far as I'm concerned; GS and PS are like "yeah so we mastered the headphone, but we still wanted to tweak, so have this").

Oct 9, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #4,835 of 65,787
I'm not that worried that much about the difference in cost. But I would hate the idea of spending $100 more if the main differences were the pads and the metal mesh caps.

But since the drivers are different and are better matched, seems worth trying 
smile.gif

Oct 9, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #4,836 of 65,787
Quote:
 Focker actually contacted Grado a while ago (a few days ago) to ask about this based on another thread, and they responded saying they do not use the same driver for all of their headphones.

Yep, here is the exact exchange if anyone is interested...

Focker wrote, "I own the SR80s, 325s, and 500s...and have just placed an order for a pair of GS1000is via my local dealer.  I was just curious, can you tell me which models have the same drivers and which are different? I'm assuming some models use the same drivers but with different enclosures? Just curious which models share drivers with which other models."

Grado Labs said, "Hi. They are all different. None are the same. They may look that way, but we assure you they are not."

BTW, their response to me was sent on 10/7/12, which was a Sunday. Pretty cool that they take the time to respond nearly around the clock. 

Oct 9, 2012 at 1:02 PM Post #4,837 of 65,787
I'm not that worried that much about the difference in cost. But I would hate the idea of spending $100 more if the main differences were the pads and the metal mesh caps.

But since the drivers are different and are better matched, seems worth trying :smile:

There is also a build quality improvement IME. While they're both basically all plastic/vinyl, my 225s seemed better put together than any SR-60/80 I've tried. Like the person who did it spent more time on it. I think they're worth it for $200 (and probably one of the few ~$200 headphones that are really good - I can certainly see how coming from an SR-225, one could see headphones at $500-$1000 as sort of silly).

Yep, here is the exact exchange if anyone is interested...

Focker wrote, "I own the SR80s, 325s, and 500s...and have just placed an order for a pair of GS1000is via my local dealer.  I was just curious, can you tell me which models have the same drivers and which are different? I'm assuming some models use the same drivers but with different enclosures? Just curious which models share drivers with which other models."

Grado Labs said, "Hi. They are all different. None are the same. They may look that way, but we assure you they are not."

BTW, their response to me was sent on 10/7/12, which was a Sunday. Pretty cool that they take the time to respond nearly around the clock. 

So you're definitely getting the GS-1000? :gs1000smile:

Oct 9, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #4,838 of 65,787
Quote:
There is also a build quality improvement IME. While they're both basically all plastic/vinyl, my 225s seemed better put together than any SR-60/80 I've tried. Like the person who did it spent more time on it. I think they're worth it for $200 (and probably one of the few ~$200 headphones that are really good - I can certainly see how coming from an SR-225, one could see headphones at $500-$1000 as sort of silly).
So you're definitely getting the GS-1000?
gs1000.gif

It was ordered on Friday, yep :)  The dealer will allow me to audition once it comes in, and then make the final decision on purchase. I'm excited to hear them! 

Oct 9, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #4,840 of 65,787
Quote:

...but the metal screens ARE really pretty, especially unbuttoned.
The mesh looks/feels just like what covers pro microphones! They feel good too.
These also have the headphone lounge leather headband which makes them extra yummy

Oct 9, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #4,842 of 65,787
Just wanted to share my recent experiences in Grado land from these past few weeks.

1) Finally got to hear 225i's.  They impressed me at first but the more I listened to them I felt like they were a bit tizzy (?); there was a sort of glare in the midrange that sounded weird to me.  I think the problem is that I've been listening to RS-1's/i's for so long I forget what other Grados sound like.  They had great detail retrieval and I feel for the money they are a great value. However I'd take the 325's over the 225's honestly now after hearing both.  The 325 may have a tiny bit of sibilance but it is standard Grado imo.  Also the vinyl headband feels terrible next to the stock leather one.  I preferred bowls on the 225i's over flats.

2) I finally got to hear an RS-2i as well.  The fit and finish of this modern production pair was not quite as good as older Grados, if your dealer allows it I highly recommend seeing and hearing your pair before you buy it.  It probably doesn't help though that the RS-2i comes in the super cheap and sealed with a sticker paper pizza box rather than the slightly sturdier RS-1i cardboard box that has no seal.  The rs-2i have less bass than the rs-1 just as the fr graphs show. They also exhibited the midrange glare that I ran into with the 225i.  I couldn't decide if I preferred flats or bowls on the rs-2i's.  I quickly returned them and will now be waiting on a older buttoned rs-2 from Canada to arrive.  I'm hoping this one sounds different in a good way!

3) Re-acquired RS-1's.  This pair isn't what I was expecting.  Once upon a time I got a pre-i model from a local friend with thick cable, it was buttonless and it sounded superb. I'm now fairly certain it was just an i model hiding in a non-i box.  At any rate I still contend if you're in the market for RS-1's today that you need to go for an RS-1i unless you're after the mellow and smooth sounding square rod classic pairs.  It's just crazy that to my ears I identify 3 different RS-1 sounds.  This pre-i model has the thin cable and for some weird reason is terminated factory 1/8" miniplug.  If I keep these I will re-terminate to 4-pin XLR.  This buttonless non i model doesn't sound as exciting as the i model or as smooth as the old model, it sounded really boring IMO until I matched it with the right amplification...

4) I took a big gamble and purchased a unmolested Melos SHA-1 off of eBay.  Well, it arrived and a cap had fallen off in transit so I got it professionally repaired with a local repair operation.  Luckily the repair went without a hitch and now it's working.  I purchased current production JJ 6922's to go with it as well.  For those of you who don't know Melos amps are super old school; I think they were some of the first "headphone amps" on the market in the 90's.  No seriously.  The circuit is some tube/ss hybrid and is a disaster to work on according to the many threads that I have read; there are design flaws and poor parts choices from what I can gather that make the amp a relatively risky investment.  Once upon a time I had a gorgeous Sha-Gold that was modified, I ended up having to sell it for money.

The SHA-1 in comparison seems to have much less parts in the circuit, as well as weighing probably half as much as the gold.  The face is quite spartan and doesn't have the lighted vintage analog meter.  At any rate I hope that I don't need to get this thing worked on; upgrades are possible but as blackgates are no longer in production a lot of the botique parts recommended from yore must be substituted.

Sonically with hd600's the amp doesn't sound as tight as a solid state amp, especially in the bass department.  I plugged in the buttonless RS-1 non i and I could instantly tell I was listening to the RS-1's as they were meant to be heard.  The midrange sparkle and fleshed out full bodied bass finally appeared.   Seems the "vintage" models aren't too shabby after all, but seem to be pickier with amplification.  I guess just like the RA-1, a less than stellar design (or measurements), doesn't necessarily mean it will sound bad with a Grado.  There's some magic at work here.

I may sell this RS-1 if I like the incoming RS-2, then again I can never make up my mind so who knows.

Oct 9, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #4,844 of 65,787
I am saving up for the PS500 , before xmas i will have one. This is the only
Grado that has the perfect blend of good bass, mids and highs and yet it does not pierce right through my eardrum. Given the fact that it is pricey, do you guys think this model is a lot easier to sell with less depreciation after a year?

I used to buy quality dslr lenses and spending a grand for a lens itself, but after 6 months or a year, i normally sold them with just a minor depreciation. It is like paying the rent fee which is the depreciation price. Sometimes better than renting it.

Oct 9, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #4,845 of 65,787
Quote:
I am saving up for the PS500 , before xmas i will have one. This is the only
Grado that has the perfect blend of good bass, mids and highs and yet it does not pierce right through my eardrum. Given the fact that it is pricey, do you guys think this model is a lot easier to sell with less depreciation after a year?
I used to buy quality dslr lenses and spending a grand for a lens itself, but after 6 months or a year, i normally sold them with just a minor depreciation. It is like paying the rent fee which is the depreciation price. Sometimes better than renting it.

Why are you already planning to sell it? lol  

I think you're making a great choice...as many of us agree, that price point is where arguably the two best Grado phones sit - the PS500s and the RS-1s. The 500s are my favorite headphone. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back