Grado Fan Club!
Sep 6, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #4,426 of 65,639
Quote:

I just received my first Grado

a pair of PS500 with cryo copper cable    
gs1000.gif

Helluva nice pair of Grados for a first timer! Well done :) 

Sep 7, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #4,430 of 65,639
Quote:

I just received my first Grado

a pair of PS500 with cryo copper cable    
gs1000.gif

Welcome to the club! My first Grado was the PS500 - I have never regretted buying them. Just this morning I put them on to listen to just a couple of tracks and three Mark Knopfler albums later realized I was burning too much daylight! Amazing headphone...
wink.gif

Sep 8, 2012 at 8:02 AM Post #4,431 of 65,639
 A nice little review of the new Cary Audio division 'Nighthawk' - containing excerpts relating to the PS1000 by 'Enjoy The Music'

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0912/audio_electronics_nighthawk.htm

Initially posted by Grado HQ on their Facebook page 
smile.gif

Dang, these cans remain a mystical journey ~ so crap one minute (read: your recording is under 20 years old)
 and yet amazing the next!

Sep 8, 2012 at 10:08 AM Post #4,432 of 65,639
Thank you for the correction, the Shures are the SE215's not the 535's and I got them at Sweetwater.com for $99. The Grado (Alessandro MS-1) 80i I purchased from Alessandro.com for the same amount $99, and the AKG's from Amazon.com on closeout (discontinued model) for around $89, but these by far are the best of the three due to the size of the drivers and the frequency range, I did purchase a custom cable for the AKG's but have not heard any noticeable difference in sound quality between the stock and custom. I do have to admit it is difficult to decide which pair to put on at any given moment, at home I listen to the AKG's and at work I use either the Grado's or the Shures, it just depends on the environment and what is going on at that time. I do own a pair of  Sennheiser RS120's that I use for late night tv watching and I can never seem to get the frequency to tun in just right, and when the batteries start going (they are on the charging stand all the time) the sound is terrible. I have tried these for music and they are the worst I have every had. Maybe other Senn.'s are better (wired) but I don't plan to purchase a new set of can for some time, I plan to upgrade the speakers in my home Theater from Polk Audio TSi200's and CS20 to new Definitive towers:

BP-8040ST System

Thanks again for the correction. Happy listening.
dt880smile.png

Sep 8, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #4,433 of 65,639
Quote:
Thank you for the correction, the Shures are the SE215's not the 535's and I got them at Sweetwater.com for $99. The Grado (Alessandro MS-1) 80i I purchased from Alessandro.com for the same amount $99, and the AKG's from Amazon.com on closeout (discontinued model) for around $89, but these by far are the best of the three due to the size of the drivers and the frequency range, I did purchase a custom cable for the AKG's but have not heard any noticeable difference in sound quality between the stock and custom. I do have to admit it is difficult to decide which pair to put on at any given moment, at home I listen to the AKG's and at work I use either the Grado's or the Shures, it just depends on the environment and what is going on at that time. I do own a pair of  Sennheiser RS120's that I use for late night tv watching and I can never seem to get the frequency to tun in just right, and when the batteries start going (they are on the charging stand all the time) the sound is terrible. I have tried these for music and they are the worst I have every had. Maybe other Senn.'s are better (wired) but I don't plan to purchase a new set of can for some time, I plan to upgrade the speakers in my home Theater from Polk Audio TSi200's and CS20 to new Definitive towers:

BP-8040ST System

Thanks again for the correction. Happy listening.
dt880smile.png

Good luck chasing down that home theater thingy.

Sep 8, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #4,435 of 65,639
Quote:
Well after being away from my Grado SR-80s for way too long (broken and lost) I just bought some SR-125s off a Head-Fi'er here. I'm so excited. How I've missed that Grado sound. Just need to go pick up a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter from the store.

I had gone a couple of months without using my 80s until a few weeks ago....even though I have a couple headphones that are significantly better, I had forgotten just how good the 80s sound. 

Sep 9, 2012 at 10:25 AM Post #4,437 of 65,639
Quote:

I had gone a couple of months without using my 80s until a few weeks ago....even though I have a couple headphones that are significantly better, I had forgotten just how good the 80s sound. 

The Grado Pill is a drug you just cannot stop taking to remember it.

Sep 9, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #4,439 of 65,639
I'm trying to decide between the 225s and the 325s.  I got to demo the 325s, and I could not contain my eargasms.  The store did not have any 225s though.  I've heard different people say they are absolutely worth the upgrade, and others say not so much.  Is there any accoustic difference between the aluminum and chrome 325s?  Could someone post pics of each?

Sep 9, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #4,440 of 65,639
Quote:
I'm trying to decide between the 225s and the 325s.  I got to demo the 325s, and I could not contain my eargasms.  The store did not have any 225s though.  I've heard different people say they are absolutely worth the upgrade, and others say not so much.  Is there any accoustic difference between the aluminum and chrome 325s?  Could someone post pics of each?

If you are not bothered by the treble of the 325, go with it over the 225.  The 325 offers greater detail, frequency range, sound stage and build quality over the 225.  If you were bothered by the treble, get the Alessandro MS2 (based on the 325 but with less strident treble) or save money by going with the 225.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back