Grado Fan Club!
Apr 27, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #2,626 of 65,615

Quote:

Amazon seems to be a bit hit a miss!

I checked who the third party seller was, and Grado doesn't list them as an authorized dealer. So I checked Amazon for a pair of PS-500s, and there was a vendor named Kraft Street Audio. I checked with the Grado website, and they in fact ARE listed, so I have some PS-500s arriving on Monday and the RS-1s are on their way back. I'm going to revisit the RS-1s in the future, cause something was clearly wrong with this pair.

Apr 27, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #2,627 of 65,615

Quote:

I checked who the third party seller was, and Grado doesn't list them as an authorized dealer. So I checked Amazon for a pair of PS-500s, and there was a vendor named Kraft Street Audio. I checked with the Grado website, and they in fact ARE listed, so I have some PS-500s arriving on Monday and the RS-1s are on their way back. I'm going to revisit the RS-1s in the future, cause something was clearly wrong with this pair.

Thats good news Focker, cant wait to hear the impression of the PS500's. 

Apr 27, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #2,630 of 65,615
http://www.head-fi.org/t/570809/grado-ps500s-new-grados/855 This isn't the one i wanted to put on but it does tell you a little bit more about the bass..That's how you want the bass to sound you can be listening to anything from enya to above and beyond and still be blown away on how good they sound!
The ue18 pro customs are just the same again that's how you want the bass to sound..They are not neutral sounding but still have not gone overboard with the bass well that's what my ps1000s sound like anyway and if they sound anything like them your in for a treat..

Apr 27, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #2,631 of 65,615
Hello! The Grado RS1i are waiting at home to be heard :)

Been looking for AMP + DAC combos (really like the Woo A6 + Streamline II / Audioengine...) - AMP/DAC! (Burson Audio, Maverik D1, Cambridge Audio...)

really looking into the Maverik's has anyone have experience with them?

Cheers!

Apr 27, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #2,632 of 65,615
Apr 27, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #2,633 of 65,615

Quote:
Sorry but the link wouldn't go on again..But through what i have read i think the ps500s are the best choice and that someone must have been smiling down on you today!

Those were the ones I initially had targeted a while back, so I'm really hoping they live up to expectations. I really have a sour taste in my mouth with Amazon allowing me to drop 7 bills on a non-authorized Grado dealer...it was a very odd feeling to put on a beautiful pair of RS1s only to think they sounded really lousy...before I sent them back today, I let them play by themselves for a bit just out of curiosity. On a few tracks I listened to, there was some rattling around in the left cup/driver. So I have no doubt these were damaged Grados that someone had RETURNED, and somewhere along the line they were mislabeled and sent to me by mistake. I really loved how light they were, though, and they looked beautiful. I will definitely revisit them in the near future.

Apr 27, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #2,634 of 65,615

Quote:
Hello! The Grado RS1i are waiting at home to be heard :)

Been looking for AMP + DAC combos (really like the Woo A6 + Streamline II / Audioengine...) - AMP/DAC! (Burson Audio, Maverik D1, Cambridge Audio...)

really looking into the Maverik's has anyone have experience with them?

Cheers!

That video O-Mart posted gives a really nice look at the Maverick piece. I've heard lots of great feedback on it, and I think it's really sharp looking. There is also a Grand Fidelity tube DAC/headphone amp called the DAC-11 (http://shop.grantfidelity.com/Grant-Fidelity-TubeDAC-11-D-A-Converter.html) that uses the same chassis and also has fantastic reviews. The piece I've fallen for is the AudioEngine D1. When I got over my brain fart and realized that I didn't need to keep it hooked up to a computer, I pulled the trigger on the spot. I have my Apple Airport Express connected to it via my optical cable, and then I power the D1 with a simple USB adapter/wall charger. Actually, I needed to expand one of my power outlets and I came across this awesome belkin product (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015DYMVO/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00) that has surge protection AND a couple of USB charge ports on it. It's perfect for the D1. Additionally, the headphone amp on the D1 is PERFECT for Grados and it sounds surprisingly good. I'm actually thinking of getting another D1 to use in my theater room for when I want to use the digital output of either my bluray player or my DirecTV box. I have really come to love watching tv and movies with headphones.

You've got a lot of really cool products to choose from!

You can see the AudioEngine D1 in action here...it's just to the right of my Meier Jazz amp just  under the top shelf. It's very small and extremely well built!

Apr 27, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #2,635 of 65,615

Quote:

Those were the ones I initially had targeted a while back, so I'm really hoping they live up to expectations. I really have a sour taste in my mouth with Amazon allowing me to drop 7 bills on a non-authorized Grado dealer...it was a very odd feeling to put on a beautiful pair of RS1s only to think they sounded really lousy...before I sent them back today, I let them play by themselves for a bit just out of curiosity. On a few tracks I listened to, there was some rattling around in the left cup/driver. So I have no doubt these were damaged Grados that someone had RETURNED, and somewhere along the line they were mislabeled and sent to me by mistake. I really loved how light they were, though, and they looked beautiful. I will definitely revisit them in the near future.

That's just a real bummer Focker, especially concerning such a specialty item - it just goes to show the homogeneous nature of these on-line shack warehouses.

A Fiio L9 line out cable or a PS1000, a $5 item versus a $1695 item - same thing to the stock picking man behind the PC watching the orders roll through,
 it's just that - stock.

It's going to take time but sooner or later a contigency out here will emerge and realise that there is more to buying special goods than just price and the
 convenience of having it delivered to your door, experiences like yours Focker are a stark reminder of what I've been saying over and over.

'Once a re-packager, always a re-packager'

I could not give two hoots for the accidental nature of the whole thing, whether someone knowingly sent you opened and funny sounding RS1i's deliberately,
 or not - the bottom line is that it should never happen, and it never would if you deal with a brick and mortar joint that insists on never accepting returns for
 anything other than faulty goods.

My local guy is a great example of such a place, no returns for change of mind, sure every now and then some customer gets stroppy that they cannot
 'try before they buy' but the sacrifice is still not worth it - his reputation remains intact - new, unused stock only - no chances of ever getting a returned item.

Apr 27, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #2,636 of 65,615
A really good brick and mortor dealer does allow you to try before you buy, with in store demo sets. IEMs excluded usually, for obvious reasons. Our local dealer (mine and Focker's) has demos for all the Grados they stock. Actually, when I bought my 325is, he didn't have a demo opened. He opened a pair for me to listen to, buy or not. I like that dealer a lot.

Apr 27, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #2,637 of 65,615

Quote:

That's just a real bummer Focker, especially concerning such a specialty item - it just goes to show the homogeneous nature of these on-line shack warehouses.

A Fiio L9 line out cable or a PS1000, a $5 item versus a $1695 item - same thing to the stock picking man behind the PC watching the orders roll through,
 it's just that - stock.

It's going to take time but sooner or later a contigency out here will emerge and realise that there is more to buying special goods than just price and the
 convenience of having it delivered to your door, experiences like yours Focker are a stark reminder of what I've been saying over and over.

'Once a re-packager, always a re-packager'

I could not give two hoots for the accidental nature of the whole thing, whether someone knowingly sent you opened and funny sounding RS1i's deliberately,
 or not - the bottom line is that it should never happen, and it never would if you deal with a brick and mortar joint that insists on never accepting returns for
 anything other than faulty goods.

My local guy is a great example of such a place, no returns for change of mind, sure every now and then some customer gets stroppy that they cannot
 'try before they buy' but the sacrifice is still not worth it - his reputation remains intact - new, unused stock only - no chances of ever getting a returned item.

Well said. I need to let this experience get me back to the B&M places, especially since that's what I typically need to do with Magnepans. The local guy that Frank is referring to carries both, so I think I need to give in and do business in person again...and leave Amazon to handle my continued orders for CDs and toilet paper lol.

Apr 27, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #2,638 of 65,615

Quote:
A really good brick and mortor dealer does allow you to try before you buy, with in store demo sets. IEMs excluded usually, for obvious reasons. Our local dealer (mine and Focker's) has demos for all the Grados they stock. Actually, when I bought my 325is, he didn't have a demo opened. He opened a pair for me to listen to, buy or not. I like that dealer a lot.

I'm really glad you told me about that guy...this is going to end up working out great I think.

Apr 27, 2012 at 9:47 PM Post #2,640 of 65,615
deleted

Users who are viewing this thread

Back