Grado Fan Club!
Apr 27, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #2,641 of 65,761
I really have a sour taste in my mouth with Amazon allowing me to drop 7 bills on a non-authorized Grado dealer...

Yeah, it's Amazon's fault that you didn't do your research first and bought from an unauthorized dealer. Please. Even Grado themselves warn you that some resellers on Amazon aren't authorized..take a look for yourself at the Grado website. Seems to me if you were that concerned about getting your phones from an authorized dealer you'd have done a trivial amount of research before dropping 7 bills.

It boggles my mind why anyone would want to buy from a dealer who doesn't allow returns. How the heck are you supposed to know whether you'll like a pair of headphones without trying them with your own equipment? Besides, It is illegal for retailers to resell returned merchandise as new. A minimal amount of research (reading reviews and customer anecdotes, for example) will keep you from getting burned by less-than-scrupulous online sellers. And if Amazon didn't have such a liberal return policy, you'd really be up $hit creek since you failed to do your due diligence when buying your Grados.

Yeah, it's Amazon's fault. What a joke.

Apr 27, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #2,642 of 65,761

Quote:
Yeah, it's Amazon's fault that you didn't do your research first and bought from an unauthorized dealer. Please. Even Grado themselves warn you that some resellers on Amazon aren't authorized..take a look for yourself at the Grado website. Seems to me if you were that concerned about getting your phones from an authorized dealer you'd have done a trivial amount of research before dropping 7 bills.
It boggles my mind why anyone would want to buy from a dealer who doesn't allow returns. How the heck are you supposed to know whether you'll like a pair of headphones without trying them with your own equipment? Besides, It is illegal for retailers to resell returned merchandise as new. A minimal amount of research (reading reviews and customer anecdotes, for example) will keep you from getting burned by less-than-scrupulous online sellers. And if Amazon didn't have such a liberal return policy, you'd really be up $hit creek since you failed to do your due diligence when buying your Grados.

Pretty Harsh on the man, especially considering that he probably knows what he did wrong and at this point it is really rude to chastise the poor guy. 

Apr 27, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #2,643 of 65,761

Quote:

That's just a real bummer Focker, especially concerning such a specialty item - it just goes to show the homogeneous nature of these on-line shack warehouses.

A Fiio L9 line out cable or a PS1000, a $5 item versus a $1695 item - same thing to the stock picking man behind the PC watching the orders roll through,
 it's just that - stock.

It's going to take time but sooner or later a contigency out here will emerge and realise that there is more to buying special goods than just price and the
 convenience of having it delivered to your door, experiences like yours Focker are a stark reminder of what I've been saying over and over.

'Once a re-packager, always a re-packager'

I could not give two hoots for the accidental nature of the whole thing, whether someone knowingly sent you opened and funny sounding RS1i's deliberately,
 or not - the bottom line is that it should never happen, and it never would if you deal with a brick and mortar joint that insists on never accepting returns for
 anything other than faulty goods.

My local guy is a great example of such a place, no returns for change of mind, sure every now and then some customer gets stroppy that they cannot
 'try before they buy' but the sacrifice is still not worth it - his reputation remains intact - new, unused stock only - no chances of ever getting a returned item.

internet sellers have given me access to headphones that weren't available where i live until recently. i've never had any problems buying from them and appreciate the convenience. i enjoy the anticipation that comes with tracking the package online as it wings its way here and the thrill of it arriving at my door. 
smile.gif

Apr 27, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #2,644 of 65,761
Pretty Harsh on the man, especially considering that he probably knows what he did wrong and at this point it is really rude to chastise the poor guy. 

I don't know. If he's blaming Amazon for his mistake, I doubt he thinks he did anything wrong.

I just really have a problem with folks who find it easier to assign blame than accept responsibility. It's not Amazon's job to protect us from ourselves. I think Amazon (and Internet e-tailers in general) have really helped bring the head-fi hobby to a wider audience. If not for Internet sales I'd never have been able to experience the wide variety of gear that I have. Vilifying an Internet seller like Amazon for a bogus reason deserves a little harshness.

Apr 27, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #2,645 of 65,761
If you have trouble with Amazon start a case on their website. Even sellers with no returns will often take back defective merchandise -- That said, never buy products and expect warranty coverage without making sure.

Apr 28, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #2,646 of 65,761

Quote:

That video O-Mart posted gives a really nice look at the Maverick piece. I've heard lots of great feedback on it, and I think it's really sharp looking. There is also a Grand Fidelity tube DAC/headphone amp called the DAC-11 (http://shop.grantfidelity.com/Grant-Fidelity-TubeDAC-11-D-A-Converter.html) that uses the same chassis and also has fantastic reviews. The piece I've fallen for is the AudioEngine D1. When I got over my brain fart and realized that I didn't need to keep it hooked up to a computer, I pulled the trigger on the spot. I have my Apple Airport Express connected to it via my optical cable, and then I power the D1 with a simple USB adapter/wall charger. Actually, I needed to expand one of my power outlets and I came across this awesome belkin product (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015DYMVO/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00) that has surge protection AND a couple of USB charge ports on it. It's perfect for the D1. Additionally, the headphone amp on the D1 is PERFECT for Grados and it sounds surprisingly good. I'm actually thinking of getting another D1 to use in my theater room for when I want to use the digital output of either my bluray player or my DirecTV box. I have really come to love watching tv and movies with headphones.

You've got a lot of really cool products to choose from!

You can see the AudioEngine D1 in action here...it's just to the right of my Meier Jazz amp just  under the top shelf. It's very small and extremely well built!

Hi Focker! Thanks for all the input. Just found out about Grant Fidelity, had no idea the existed, well there still a lot of brands I'm clueless... and see in the picture, after watching their site, that you have the Tube processor, and it looks BIG.
Well I just got back, and tried the RS1i and first impression is wow, the looks are amazing and they sound awesome! very neat. have to try them with more music, but overall they are the best headphones I have ever heard. not for all music but most of it. heard Marillion like never before, and from recording mp3 @320, comparing from memory with the 225is they are more rounded the bass, mids and treble blend beautifully, they are not as "harsh" as the 225i and have more detail and less grain... I still have to burn them and give you more impressions.
Still looking for an amp/dac at this moment im geard to Burson HA160DS but who knows tomorrow. BTW great photo and equipment!

Cheers

Apr 28, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #2,647 of 65,761
The way the all the little electronic beeps sound in The Postal Service - The District Sleeps Alone Tonight on my 225s, absolutely magical :D

Apr 28, 2012 at 3:37 AM Post #2,648 of 65,761

Quote:

When amazon takes responsibility for FULFILLMENT on an order and the product is shipped from AMAZON, yes, I take issue with AMAZON sending me an open box product that clearly had visible damage. There's no amount of research, trivial or otherwise, that would have prevented this issue. Pointing out that "it's illegal for retailers to resell returned merchandise" is about as helpful as your condescending attitude.

Apr 28, 2012 at 3:42 AM Post #2,649 of 65,761

Quote:
If you have trouble with Amazon start a case on their website. Even sellers with no returns will often take back defective merchandise -- That said, never buy products and expect warranty coverage without making sure.

Definitely...they took it back without any trouble and apologized for the mistake...I probably make about 12-15 purchases a month from Amazon..rarely, if ever do I have a problem.

Apr 28, 2012 at 4:12 AM Post #2,650 of 65,761

Yep and here's more weight for that argument against dealers who won't allow returns for reasons of 'change of mind' - imagine being that honest brick
 and mortar joint that is - you're doing the right thing, you're trying to make a living...ahhhh...but you did not count on one of these types of 
 (if you can call them that) 'customers' :-

Here's a picture  :-

I've known and do currently know guys like this - if you allow them to return for change of mind they will clean you out - their credit card is merely a means to open box
 every single headphone in the place - HD800, T1, Edition 10, LCD2, LCD3, W5000, PS1000 - once finished they will transfer that money to open box every single
 DAC and Headphone Amplifier in the place. Once done they want an absolute 100% return refund on the card or a double store credit.

They wasted your time, efforts and costed you perhaps $3000+ in returns? Not their problem and they don't care, it's all about them - I think the picture
 saves me from further commentary and description.

Apr 28, 2012 at 4:29 AM Post #2,651 of 65,761

Quote:

"Just a heads up for anyone interested...Electronics Expo (through Amazon.com) has the GS1000i for $795. However, they only have one pair left in stock (I ordered the next-to-last pair myself). I've never seen Grados for less than MSRP but Electronics Expo is an authorized dealer so now's the time to jump if you're in the market for the GS1000i!"
http://www.head-fi.org/t/530965/grado-fan-club/2295#post_8295586

"They're definitely brand-new (and very clearly listed as such) and not open box. Amazon always makes a very clear distinction between new and used items."
http://www.head-fi.org/t/530965/grado-fan-club/2310#post_8295668

"...the best part in this case is that the GS1000i's are "sold" by Electronics Expo but "fulfilled" by Amazon.  That means that they're stocked in an Amazon warehouse and never touched by Electronics Expo.  So, unless the original shipment of headphones to Amazon consisted of open-box items, it's pretty much a sure thing that the ones I've been mentioning are brand new."
http://www.head-fi.org/t/530965/grado-fan-club/2310#post_8296734

"Well, I gotta say, you guys were exactly right.  I actually ordered two pair of GS1000i headphones from Electronics Expo (through Amazon.com) for $800 each.  Both pair arrived today.  One pair was missing the serial number from the box and the both the extension cord and the 1/4"-to-1/8" adapter were also missing.  The other pair appeared to be intact but the headphone serial number didn't match the serial number on the box.  So they were both definitely open box items sold as new.  Guess who I'll never buy from again?  That's right, Electronics Expo.  I just ordered a pair of GS1000i headphones from a vendor I know I can trust -- Crutchfield."
http://www.head-fi.org/t/530965/grado-fan-club/2325#post_8300774

Sound familiar there, kfscoll?  
rolleyes.gif

By the way, I'm sure you're right that EE is an authorized Grado reseller, but where did you confirm this exactly? EE is based in New Jersey, yet when you consult the authorized dealer locator on the Grado Labs home page, EE is not listed.

Apr 28, 2012 at 4:30 AM Post #2,652 of 65,761

Quote:

Yep and here's more weight for that argument against dealers who won't allow returns for reasons of 'change of mind' - imagine being that honest brick
 and mortar joint that is - you're doing the right thing, you're trying to make a living...ahhhh...but you did not count on one of these types of 
 (if you can call them that) 'customers' :-

Here's a picture  :-

I've known and do currently know guys like this - if you allow them to return for change of mind they will clean you out - their credit card is merely a means to open box
 every single headphone in the place - HD800, T1, Edition 10, LCD2, LCD3, W5000, PS1000 - once finished they will transfer that money to open box every single
 DAC and Headphone Amplifier in the place. Once done they want an absolute 100% return refund on the card or a double store credit.

They wasted your time, efforts and costed you perhaps $3000+ in returns? Not their problem and they don't care, it's all about them - I think the picture
 saves me from further commentary and description.

Great points

Apr 28, 2012 at 6:36 AM Post #2,654 of 65,761

Quote:
i think that's drawing a long bow. those kind of customers are in the minority. most customers are honest folk wanting to make a purchase, whether it be from a bricks and mortar store or an e-store.

Unfortunately it only takes a handful of guys like this to sink a 'Mom and Pop' store - 4 or 5 in fact would put a local audio store over the brink.

Sorry mate - I know at least 4 or 5 guys like this just in Melbourne, it's not speculation and you're right overall - the majority suffer for it.

Apr 28, 2012 at 8:19 AM Post #2,655 of 65,761
lol ok...now this makes no sense....
Quote:

6 hours?? I need to look up saskatoon on a map...I didn't relize you were that far up there lol

yeah...there are a few big box shops (best buy etc.) and one really decent high end audio shop (but no headphones really) here. Otherwise it's 5 hours to Edmonton or 6 hours to Calgary to actually hear some stuff in person. 

God I love the internet and courier companies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back