Grado Fan Club!
Apr 4, 2012 at 2:24 AM Post #2,206 of 65,647
I have been a/bing the HD650 with my ms pros. The tonal balance is very similar  - but I have searched in vain for a way to lift the veil from the HD650 since I got into this hobby as I love the warmth and vocal sound but hate the bass bloat. Enter the Ms pro - I crushed the bowls under some heavy books for a couple of hrs and voila - the sound I have always wished my HD650s would produce was there before me. Has anyone else heard this similarity in tonal balance between these 2 phones - I think the Ms pro is even closer to the HD600 I had before the HD650. I know I'll get the inevitible sounstage comparisons and flak but I prefer the closer feel of the Ms pro so its a non issue for me. I am amping them through a Violectric V100. -6 gain for Ms Pro +6 gain for HD650

Apr 4, 2012 at 6:36 AM Post #2,207 of 65,647

Quote:
Well I broke down and got a pair of RS2i's I have to say I have been missing out, my old headphones (Sony mdr-7506) do not even come close to comparing. 

How long do you think these should be burned in before there is no longer and change in the sound? Will it lose some of the high end harshness or add some bass? (my um3x's added bass after about 72 hrs or so and lost some of the sibilance in the upper end)

On some tracks I definitely hear the harshness that people describe coming from the high end. I find them comfortable as opposed to some other posters (which made me nervous about the purchase) uncomfortable headphones no matter how good just won't get worn.

I've only  been listening to them for a little under an hour and honestly I think these headphones were made for Portishead. right out of the box it sounds awesome. My older music (Charlie Parker, Sonny Rollins,  older jazz) unfortunately does not sound as good. But that's a source issue, not a headphone one. 30's 40's 50's even 60's and 70's recordings are not that great.

rock thru these is amazing, Steely Dan, Jimi Hendrix just awesome. Rush studio sounds very good, but Rush Live is missing bass. Primus doesn't have that sub thump, but you can hear that he's picking on that bass

overall a very fun pair of headphones, really lets you enjoy your music.

I've had my RS2i's since early February and the harsh treble takes between 30-50 hours of burn in at mid volume (I don't listen at high volumes so it might take less time at a moderately higher volume although that's not always recommended).

Also I found the RS2i's bowl pads fairly comfortable and because of my smaller than average ears they actually cover them completely like full size pads. The advantage for me here is that if I move the headphones position forward on my head I notice the treble volume change considerably - push the headphones forward (towards your face) and you might also notice a drop in treble which might make your listening more pleasurable until burn-in is complete.

They're a totally underrated headphone IMO. 

Apr 4, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #2,210 of 65,647
they don't. the just jelly. 

They're a polarizing can. That's all. 

Apr 4, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #2,211 of 65,647

Quote:
I've had my RS2i's since early February and the harsh treble takes between 30-50 hours of burn in at mid volume (I don't listen at high volumes so it might take less time at a moderately higher volume although that's not always recommended).

Also I found the RS2i's bowl pads fairly comfortable and because of my smaller than average ears they actually cover them completely like full size pads. The advantage for me here is that if I move the headphones position forward on my head I notice the treble volume change considerably - push the headphones forward (towards your face) and you might also notice a drop in treble which might make your listening more pleasurable until burn-in is complete.

They're a totally underrated headphone IMO. 

Good to know about the burn-in mine probably only have 3-4 hours on them. I actually started using the RS2i's with my portable setup - an Ipod classic and a RSA P-51 - at first it was ok, but not special, I bumped the gain on the RSA and suddenly these cans took on a different life, much more vibrant and the P-51 has the typical RSA sound which is a bit warm and that works with the Grados very well. Usually I ave the P-51 set low as I typically use them with my um3x's and they do not need any amplification (the volume knob gets set very low for this) at first hook up the RS2i's, also on low had the volume knob 3/4's of the way up, then I did the switch to med. on the amp and volume is very low again 1/4 turn on the dial and sound is awesome.

Apr 4, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #2,212 of 65,647

Ray rules big time - love his gear, again some would disagree but I'm a Samuels flag waver all the way.

Hornet, P-51, Shadow, Dark Star - all of them are absolutely brill' in my book.

The plan on my end is to pair a Raptor with the Grado's in my collection and then just tube roll
 until I find personal bliss :)

The Raptor is also an outside contender for many HD650 owners - seen a couple owners in my time
 at meets come into contact with this little two piece hybrid and come away with the thought that
 it's 'best on the day' for them.

Apr 4, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #2,213 of 65,647
I don't know if it's just me but I love my RS1i and my HE-500. To me they compliment each other very well. I listen to punk and guitar based rock on the RS1i paired with my MAD Ear+ HD (one of the best pairings in head-fi IMO) and soul, funk, and hip hop with the HE-500 and the Lyr. I honestly couldn't be happier which is good because now I'm broke.

Quote:
hi. everybody. i am also a grado fan and owned all top models of grado.

is there anyone also love other brand's headphone besides grado?

For example LCD-3?

Apr 5, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #2,214 of 65,647
I just received a Schiit Asgard to pair with my PS500. It sounds really fantastic so far. I think it will hold me over for quite a while!

Apr 5, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #2,215 of 65,647

Quote:
I just received a Schiit Asgard to pair with my PS500. It sounds really fantastic so far. I think it will hold me over for quite a while!

Very nice :) 

Apr 6, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #2,217 of 65,647
Congrats,on the PS-500,they're very nice headphones

Apr 6, 2012 at 12:43 AM Post #2,218 of 65,647

Still cannot believe that the only Grado concessionaire in Australia has yet to bring any PS500's into the country, not one - disgraceful.

Apr 6, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #2,219 of 65,647

Quote:

Still cannot believe that the only Grado concessionaire in Australia has yet to bring any PS500's into the country, not one - disgraceful.

It's not like the massive mark-ups that the only concessionaire in Australia (Melbourne) likes to slap on Grado products make it worth it in the first place.

Apr 6, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #2,220 of 65,647

Quote:

It's not like the massive mark-ups that the only concessionaire in Australia (Melbourne) likes to slap on Grado products make it worth it in the first place.

Nah, that's all changed now but I bet stock is still a problem though :-

Grado 325i - $300AUD - I paid $440 at the time for mine.

RS2i - $480AUD

RS1i - $680AUD

GS1000i - $1,080AUD

PS1000 - $1,880AUD

That's 100% line ball now with the USA - assuming you could import your own PS1000 - you'd be $1695USD + add GST $169USD = $1864AUD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back