Grado Fan Club!
Apr 1, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #2,176 of 65,565
get a discontinued amp and cd player if you want to get something with audiophile sound for a bargain and make the grados shine..i would say cambridge audio.. rocksan or marantz would be a good choice even for the 325i you have just got! p.s i would say keep the 325i and be happy and get a marantz cd player and amp instead of getting the ps1000..the marantz 6003 amp and cd player

Apr 2, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #2,177 of 65,565

Quote:
I could see myself saving up for the PS1k, and then once I get half way there being REALLY tempted to just pull the trigger on the 500s lol. I'm sure I couldn't go wrong either way, though, so that's a good thing

You definately wouldn't go wrong,and if you get the 500 first,and after a while you still want the 1000,you'll appreciate them even more,when you do get them. 

Apr 2, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #2,178 of 65,565

Quote:
You definately wouldn't go wrong,and if you get the 500 first,and after a while you still want the 1000,you'll appreciate them even more,when you do get them. 

Good point :)

Apr 2, 2012 at 5:30 AM Post #2,179 of 65,565
The sad thing about PS1000 is that we are spending close to $2000 (or 2000 pounds) on a pair of headphones that we have never heard before, We don't even know what they look like (chrome or not chrome). Even if you go to meets you won't find them. PS1000 are not popular.
They sound quite different from most of the other Grados except for GS1000. No, they don't have the typical Grado house sound (like RS1). The best thing to do is to listen to them and make a decision yourself (God knows how! ) since everyone will tell you something different.

Apr 2, 2012 at 6:31 AM Post #2,180 of 65,565

Quote:
The sad thing about PS1000 is that we are spending close to $2000 (or 2000 pounds) on a pair of headphones that we have never heard before, We don't even know what they look like (chrome or not chrome). Even if you go to meets you won't find them. PS1000 are not popular.
They sound quite different from most of the other Grados except for GS1000. No, they don't have the typical Grado house sound (like RS1). The best thing to do is to listen to them and make a decision yourself (God knows how! ) since everyone will tell you something different.

I think their rarity is self perpetuating in a way - they don't sell in great numbers (sub #2000 units out there at the last count)
 and then we have the mysterious trend that PS1000 owners don't like to bring them to play at meets, perhaps with good
 reason, perhaps not - in any case this just further isolates them as an odd flagship and in turn people usually buy
 (if we believe Head-Fi) what receives the most amount of attention both online and at a national and local meet level.

The PS1000 fails there on all counts.

Apr 2, 2012 at 8:43 AM Post #2,181 of 65,565

Quote:
 I think their rarity is self perpetuating in a way - they don't sell in great numbers (sub #2000 units out there at the last count)
 and then we have the mysterious trend that PS1000 owners don't like to bring them to play at meets, perhaps with good
 reason, perhaps not - in any case this just further isolates them as an odd flagship and in turn people usually buy
 (if we believe Head-Fi) what receives the most amount of attention both online and at a national and local meet level.

I have got ps1000 and hd800 ue18 and jh16 and i use my ps1000 with my cambridge audio 840 gear and they sound exactly like a martin logan sound system that all the best nightclubs have got..

Apr 2, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #2,182 of 65,565

Quote:

I was lucky,i had the chance to listen to a pair of PS-1000 for a week before i made a decision,the Grado rep knowing that i already own a pair of GS-1000,left a pair for me at the store,thinking,or should i say,knowing,that i would fall in love with them,he was right,by the way i paid $1635 CDN with taxes for mine

Apr 2, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #2,183 of 65,565
Well I broke down and got a pair of RS2i's I have to say I have been missing out, my old headphones (Sony mdr-7506) do not even come close to comparing. 

How long do you think these should be burned in before there is no longer and change in the sound? Will it lose some of the high end harshness or add some bass? (my um3x's added bass after about 72 hrs or so and lost some of the sibilance in the upper end)

On some tracks I definitely hear the harshness that people describe coming from the high end. I find them comfortable as opposed to some other posters (which made me nervous about the purchase) uncomfortable headphones no matter how good just won't get worn.

I've only  been listening to them for a little under an hour and honestly I think these headphones were made for Portishead. right out of the box it sounds awesome. My older music (Charlie Parker, Sonny Rollins,  older jazz) unfortunately does not sound as good. But that's a source issue, not a headphone one. 30's 40's 50's even 60's and 70's recordings are not that great.

rock thru these is amazing, Steely Dan, Jimi Hendrix just awesome. Rush studio sounds very good, but Rush Live is missing bass. Primus doesn't have that sub thump, but you can hear that he's picking on that bass

overall a very fun pair of headphones, really lets you enjoy your music.

Apr 2, 2012 at 8:05 PM Post #2,184 of 65,565

Quote:
Well I broke down and got a pair of RS2i's I have to say I have been missing out, my old headphones (Sony mdr-7506) do not even come close to comparing. 

How long do you think these should be burned in before there is no longer and change in the sound? Will it lose some of the high end harshness or add some bass? (my um3x's added bass after about 72 hrs or so and lost some of the sibilance in the upper end)

On some tracks I definitely hear the harshness that people describe coming from the high end. I find them comfortable as opposed to some other posters (which made me nervous about the purchase) uncomfortable headphones no matter how good just won't get worn.

I've only  been listening to them for a little under an hour and honestly I think these headphones were made for Portishead. right out of the box it sounds awesome. My older music (Charlie Parker, Sonny Rollins,  older jazz) unfortunately does not sound as good. But that's a source issue, not a headphone one. 30's 40's 50's even 60's and 70's recordings are not that great.

rock thru these is amazing, Steely Dan, Jimi Hendrix just awesome. Rush studio sounds very good, but Rush Live is missing bass. Primus doesn't have that sub thump, but you can hear that he's picking on that bass

overall a very fun pair of headphones, really lets you enjoy your music.

Put up a pic mate - been awhile since someone posted up some recent RS2i photos

Apr 3, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #2,185 of 65,565

Quote:
I was lucky,i had the chance to listen to a pair of PS-1000 for a week before i made a decision,the Grado rep knowing that i already own a pair of GS-1000,left a pair for me at the store,thinking,or should i say,knowing,that i would fall in love with them,he was right,by the way i paid $1635 CDN with taxes for mine

you are lucky. i've almost given up hope of ever being able to audition one. the local grado distributor here is cagey and not all that helpful. it's disappointing because the ps1000 is one of the most expensive flagship headphones on the market. an audition shouldn't be too much to ask for when you're considering forking out the best part of two grand for it.

Apr 3, 2012 at 1:37 AM Post #2,186 of 65,565
What are some noticeable differences between the PS1Ks and the GS1Ks?  Just curious as I heard the GS1000is before I bought them and fell in love with the sound, beautifully detailed, huge sound stage and a nice mid range.  I never got to try the PS1000s, wondering what I am missing.

Apr 3, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #2,187 of 65,565
what are magnums most compared to, in the Grado change? Anyone here ever do any comparisons?

Apr 3, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #2,188 of 65,565

Quote:
What are some noticeable differences between the PS1Ks and the GS1Ks?  Just curious as I heard the GS1000is before I bought them and fell in love with the sound, beautifully detailed, huge sound stage and a nice mid range.  I never got to try the PS1000s, wondering what I am missing.

The GS-1000's were reviewed favorably by all the major reviewers. I follow 6Moons pretty closely and they liked them a lot as it was a departure from Grado traditional sound and structure, but the PS1k they said gave you much less for the money than headphones costing a lot less. The HD800, W5000, and the two orthodynamics sound better.

I listened to the PS-1000 from a dealer named Sounds Unique in my area. I brought my HE-500 to the party and it's sadly not close. For 1000 and the novelty of having those big earcups, the GS-1k still has a dear place in my heart and it still sounds great on a pure tube driven amp.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/grado3/ps1000_2.html

Apr 3, 2012 at 4:44 AM Post #2,189 of 65,565

Quote:
The GS-1000's were reviewed favorably by all the major reviewers. I follow 6Moons pretty closely and they liked them a lot as it was a departure from Grado traditional sound and structure, but the PS1k they said gave you much less for the money than headphones costing a lot less. The HD800, W5000, and the two orthodynamics sound better.

I listened to the PS-1000 from a dealer named Sounds Unique in my area. I brought my HE-500 to the party and it's sadly not close. For 1000 and the novelty of having those big earcups, the GS-1k still has a dear place in my heart and it still sounds great on a pure tube driven amp.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/grado3/ps1000_2.html

6 Moons say a lot of things  :-

- Burson 160 Amplifier is a revelation that any other amp maker can only dream of.. <cough>

- Metrum Octave Acoustics DAC - again, rejoice - the second coming of sound is here !! - I know of two blokes who practically gave away theirs
  and would love to meet the reviewer from 6Moons down a dark alley sometime.

Hi Fi Choice are a little more open minded with their take even though they offered up - 5 out of 5 stars.

"Differences between this model and other top offerings is really more a question of taste than of quality. Strongly Recommended for audition"

Apr 3, 2012 at 6:08 AM Post #2,190 of 65,565

Quote:

6 Moons say a lot of things  :-

- Burson 160 Amplifier is a revelation that any other amp maker can only dream of.. <cough>

- Metrum Octave Acoustics DAC - again, rejoice - the second coming of sound is here !! - I know of two blokes who practically gave away theirs
  and would love to meet the reviewer from 6Moons down a dark alley sometime.

Hi Fi Choice are a little more open minded with their take even though they offered up - 5 out of 5 stars.

"Differences between this model and other top offerings is really more a question of taste than of quality. Strongly Recommended for audition"

Bloody hell, that explains SO MUCH. Don't worry if anybody else was telling me the same thing I'd tell them they're full of **** but you and I are chill so I'll take your word for it. Time to find a new site to audit gear with.

Actually hilariously enough, I heard the Burson, and while being top shelf... it's actually not better than conventionally built amps that are 2/3 the price. 

I make friends with some kind people who loan me gear and the SPL Auditor, HeadRoom Home, and my Lyr are just as good if not better.. 

With the combined DAC module though it's a very well built unit and I mean no disrespect at all, but it's really not the end-all amp the people in the HA-160 thread are making it out to be.

Watch, we both get horribly banned for badmouthing 6M ahahahah

Users who are viewing this thread

Back