Grado Fan Club!
Mar 31, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #2,146 of 65,649
Welcome to the club! Are you in Atlanta or does the ATL stand for something else? I'm up in Flowery Branch and work in ATL.

Those are the same two pair of headphones I had in here about a month ago...and you're right, the contrast between the two is fantastic. I ended up returning the 880s and upgrading to the T1s, and of course I still have the 325s...I think the Grado/Beyerdynamic combo can be extremely satisfying both with music and movies.

I'm actually in Grayson, near Lawrenceville. Yeah, the combo seems great. I think I'd much rather the contrast, then something in between the two (HD650 maybe?). I need to work on my source next, before playing the upgrade game. Saving for a CLAS/Continental V2 now. Hopefully the continental doesn't go away before I get there!

Mar 31, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #2,147 of 65,649

Quote:
I'm actually in Grayson, near Lawrenceville. Yeah, the combo seems great. I think I'd much rather the contrast, then something in between the two (HD650 maybe?). I need to work on my source next, before playing the upgrade game. Saving for a CLAS/Continental V2 now. Hopefully the continental doesn't go away before I get there!

Small world...I used to live in Grayson right off New Hope. That CLAS combo has a great rep around these parts...nice choice :)

Mar 31, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #2,148 of 65,649
Hey I may need to recable my grados soon, the cable is succumbing to the dreaded twist and looks like it may not last very much longer. Just wanted some opinions on what cables I should consider. Blue/ black dragon, dhc molecule, ohrenholz Mogami cable or has anyone tried the hd650 cable?

Mar 31, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #2,149 of 65,649
Small world...I used to live in Grayson right off New Hope. That CLAS combo has a great rep around these parts...nice choice :)

I'm very close to New Hope. Have you had any luck finding a hifi shop in the area? I got my Grados at Audio Alternative in Lilburn. They are mostly for home equipment though. I believe Grado is the only headphones they even carry. Lots of nice speakers and stereo amps though. But i'm sticking to mobile and personal audio for now.

Mar 31, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #2,150 of 65,649

Quote:
I'm very close to New Hope. Have you had any luck finding a hifi shop in the area? I got my Grados at Audio Alternative in Lilburn. They are mostly for home equipment though. I believe Grado is the only headphones they even carry. Lots of nice speakers and stereo amps though. But i'm sticking to mobile and personal audio for now.

My favorite hi-fi shop closed down unfortunately...Audio Alternative took over as the area Magnepan dealer, but I haven't been out there as of yet. I didn't know they carried Grados though, so thanks for that info. I wonder if they have the higher end models for demo?  For portable audio and headphones, I've bought almost everything online. I don't know if you've ever heard of the Variety Playhouse, but it's one of the more popular concert venues down in Little Five Points. The owner of that is a friend of mine and owns a higher end audio dealership. He carries the Peachtree Audio line, and they make some cool products that are iPod/iPhone/iPad friendly....but other than that he's mostly high end home audio. I pretty much just rely on (lots and lots of) research and try to make sure there is a return policy in effect (e.g. Amazon). I can't even tell you how invaluable this site has been for me...I only really started getting into this part of the hobby a few months ago

Mar 31, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #2,151 of 65,649
My favorite hi-fi shop closed down unfortunately...Audio Alternative took over as the area Magnepan dealer, but I haven't been out there as of yet. I didn't know they carried Grados though, so thanks for that info. I wonder if they have the higher end models for demo?  For portable audio and headphones, I've bought almost everything online. I don't know if you've ever heard of the Variety Playhouse, but it's one of the more popular concert venues down in Little Five Points. The owner of that is a friend of mine and owns a higher end audio dealership. He carries the Peachtree Audio line, and they make some cool products that are iPod/iPhone/iPad friendly....but other than that he's mostly high end home audio. I pretty much just rely on (lots and lots of) research and try to make sure there is a return policy in effect (e.g. Amazon). I can't even tell you how invaluable this site has been for me...I only really started getting into this part of the hobby a few months ago

Yeah, I have heard of Variety Playhouse. AA carries everything in the SR and RS/GS line, up to the GS1K. Only missing the PS line, from the current lineup I believe. http://www.yeswehaveawebsite.com/Home_Audio/Headphones/Headphones.htm

They had all in stock when I was there today, had several on a rack for auditions. They didn't have any unboxed 325is on the rack, but actually broke the seal on one for me to listen to. They connected me to a $1.7k Peachtree amp for the demo, not a fair comparison to my $50 Fiio and iPhone/pad, lol. Sounded fantastic though.

I totally agree about this site. My first post, just today, was a "thank you head-fi!"

Mar 31, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #2,152 of 65,649

Quote:
Yeah, I have heard of Variety Playhouse. AA carries everything in the SR and RS/GS line, up to the GS1K. Only missing the PS line, from the current lineup I believe. http://www.yeswehaveawebsite.com/Home_Audio/Headphones/Headphones.htm
They had all in stock when I was there today, had several on a rack for auditions. They didn't have any unboxed 325is on the rack, but actually broke the seal on one for me to listen to. They connected me to a $1.7k Peachtree amp for the demo, not a fair comparison to my $50 Fiio and iPhone/pad, lol. Sounded fantastic though.
I totally agree about this site. My first post, just today, was a "thank you head-fi!"

lol, I love my little Fiio E11, but yeah, the Peachtree probably had a bit of an advantage :)  That's pretty cool they opened one up for you to listen to...I have only had contact with them via email, so I  may need to head out there if they ever get the PS line in stock. I'm dying to hear the PS1000s...

Mar 31, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #2,153 of 65,649

Quote:
I was trying to upload from Photobucket,because when i cliked on the attachement button it the reply window,i get a message saying something like,''you don't have permission to post images'',eventually i'll figure it out,in the mean time,thanks again.

Right click the picture on photobucket and click copy image URL. the on here clicking the insert image button at the top of the box you type in and click image URL and paste the image url in there. 

Mar 31, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #2,154 of 65,649
Hello

Been using for a couple of hours the 225i and my ears hurt bad, I knew this issue before but didn't know it was this bad. I ordered the Scush but SQ deteriorates, not much but still prefer the uncover sound. Any suggestions, Should I cut the Scush?

Thanks

Mar 31, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #2,155 of 65,649
lol, I love my little Fiio E11, but yeah, the Peachtree probably had a bit of an advantage :)  That's pretty cool they opened one up for you to listen to...I have only had contact with them via email, so I  may need to head out there if they ever get the PS line in stock. I'm dying to hear the PS1000s...

I'd love to get the PS1Ks on for a listen too. We may have to petition AA to stock. Wonder if it's possible, as rare as people say they are. Doubtful I guess. I did find AA through Grado's site, so they are the local dealer for a special order. Investment is a bit high for my taste without an audition though.

Mar 31, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #2,156 of 65,649

Quote:
Hello

Been using for a couple of hours the 225i and my ears hurt bad, I knew this issue before but didn't know it was this bad. I ordered the Scush but SQ deteriorates, not much but still prefer the uncover sound. Any suggestions, Should I cut the Scush?

Thanks

Take the pads off, throw them in the washer and dryer (use fabric softener), put them back on the cups, lightly stretch the headband, rinse, repeat.

Mar 31, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #2,157 of 65,649

Quote:
I'd love to get the PS1Ks on for a listen too. We may have to petition AA to stock. Wonder if it's possible, as rare as people say they are. Doubtful I guess. I did find AA through Grado's site, so they are the local dealer for a special order. Investment is a bit high for my taste without an audition though.

I agree...I've heard the PS line is amazing, but might depart a bit from the "traditional Grado sound"..so I'd like to audition them, too. I'll definitely help you petition them!

Mar 31, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #2,159 of 65,649
Thanks for the advice, it's not the pad... the inside, phones are in contact with my earlobes... this sucks. I will give it a try anyway

How did you get your earlobes in there? I think those have the same pads as the 325is, and the pads just sit against my outer ear. I had a four hour+ listen today, and there was no pain at all for me, even though the pads are still stiff, just got them today. Fit was great for my head though, didn't even need to bend the headband. From what I've read, there are comfort issues for some, with the pads pressing on the outer ear. Never heard of ears going in the holes though.

Mar 31, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #2,160 of 65,649

Quote:
How did you get your earlobes in there? I think those have the same pads as the 325is, and the pads just sit against my outer ear. I had a four hour+ listen today, and there was no pain at all for me, even though the pads are still stiff, just got them today. Fit was great for my head though, didn't even need to bend the headband. From what I've read, there are comfort issues for some, with the pads pressing on the outer ear. Never heard of ears going in the holes though.

You're maybe right the pads hit the Helix but the Crura I think are the Phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back